Space news topic and space related news

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 23, 2011, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

Just how big is the Andromeda galaxy?
Astronomers used to believe that the Andromeda galaxy, our nearest galactic neighbor, was three times the size of the Milky Way. Not anymore.

http://astronomy.com/news/magazine/2018/02/adromeda-is-the-same-size-as-the-milky-way
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Hmm ... interesting :)

Many sources give different values of exactly size of Andromeda Galaxy. I think that it's good possible that both galaxies have similar size.
In any case, collision of Andromeda Galaxy with Milky Way will be destructive for both galaxies, independently on their exactly size.

Toliman

NASA's Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite arrives at Kennedy Space Center for launch

NASA's next planet-hunting mission has arrived in Florida to begin preparations for launch. The Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) is scheduled to launch on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station nearby NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida no earlier than April 16, pending range approval. TESS was delivered Feb. 12 aboard a truck from Orbital ATK in Dulles, Virginia, where it spent 2017 being assembled and tested. Over the next month, the spacecraft will be prepped for launch at Kennedy's Payload Hazardous Servicing Facility (PHSF).

TESS is the next step in NASA's search for planets outside our solar system, known as exoplanets. The mission will scan nearly the entire sky to monitor more than 200,000 of the nearest and brightest stars in search of transit events — periodic dips in a star's brightness caused by planets passing in front of their stars. TESS is expected to find thousands of exoplanets. The upcoming James Webb Space Telescope, scheduled for launch in 2019, will provide important follow-up observations of some of the most promising TESS-discovered exoplanets, allowing scientists to study their atmospheres and, in some special cases, to search for signs that these planets could support life.

Found here:
https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/1486/nasas-transiting-exoplanet-survey-satellite-arrives-at-kennedy-space-center-for-launch/

Toliman

Hubble Sees Neptune's Mysterious Shrinking Storm

Storms on Neptune Play Peek-A-Boo With Planetary Astronomers

Three billion miles away on the farthest known major planet in our solar system, an ominous, stinky, dark storm is shrinking out of existence as seen in pictures of Neptune taken by the Hubble Space Telescope. Immense dark storms on Neptune were first discovered in the late 1980s by the Voyager 2 spacecraft. Since then, only Hubble has tracked these elusive features that play a game of peek-a-boo over the years. Hubble found two dark storms that appeared in the mid-1990s and then vanished. This latest storm was first seen in 2015, but is now shrinking away. The dark spot material may be hydrogen sulfide, with the pungent smell of rotten eggs.

Found here:
http://hubblesite.org/news_release/news/2018-08

Toliman

Interesting...

Hubble Solves Cosmic 'Whodunit' with Interstellar Forensics

In a cosmic tug-of-war between two dwarf galaxies orbiting the Milky Way, only NASA's Hubble Space Telescope can see who's winning. The players are the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, and as they gravitationally tug at each other, one of them has pulled out a huge amount of gas from its companion. This shredded and fragmented gas, called the Leading Arm, is being devoured by the Milky Way and feeding new star birth in our galaxy. But which dwarf galaxy is doing the pulling, and whose gas is now being feasted upon? Scientists used Hubble's ultraviolet vision to chemically analyze the gas in the Leading Arm and determine its origin. After years of debate, we now have the answer to this "whodunit" mystery.

http://hubblesite.org/news_release/news/2018-15

BlueHusky2154

JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE DELAYED UNTIL 2020

Due to various issues that arose (and could have been prevented) and the need for more testing, NASA has announced that JWST will launch in 2020 instead of 2019.
Full article here.

My fears have became a reality...  :(
Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on December 11, 2017, 11:30:17 PM
Let's not have it delayed like Avatar 2.  ;D
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Toliman

Meh ... I expected that is can happen, but I hoped that not...

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on March 28, 2018, 02:09:12 AM
My fears have became a reality...  :(
Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on December 11, 2017, 11:30:17 PM
Let's not have it delayed like Avatar 2.  ;D
Lets hope that it will be not this case ;D

Vawmataw

Maybe James Cameron is directing the mission :P ;)

Toliman

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Vawmataw on March 28, 2018, 05:57:50 PM
Maybe James Cameron is directing the mission :P ;)

HRHNN ;)

They are trying so hard to make this mission perfect, I somehow wonder if this won't result in a major Oops! moment :(

AMSAT's Phase 3D/Oscar 40 satellite, the most ambitious amateur radio satellite ever, was delayed and delayed. By the time it launched, elastomeric materials in the propulsion system valves had degraded to the point that the propulsion system malfunctioned, partly disabling the satellite (UDMH monopropellant, IIRC). They one day, the satellite simply stopped functioning. The thinking is there was an explosion on board that destroyed the satellite.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 29, 2018, 03:53:19 PM
They are trying so hard to make this mission perfect, I somehow wonder if this won't result in a major Oops! moment :(
Yeah, I too :(

Toliman

Vawmataw

Lynxcat

Uniltirantokx fmawn! :) :ikran: http://avatarsequels.com/

Toliman

Toliman

Toliman

Hubble Spacecraft Update:

At 6:44 a.m. on April 21, it was reported that a gyroscope (gyro) on the Hubble Space Telescope had stopped working. Gyros help keep the spacecraft oriented and pointed in a precise direction. Built for multiple redundancies, Hubble has a total of six gyros; it usually uses three gyros and can continue to make scientific observations with even just one. This is the second gyro to stop working since Hubble's last servicing mission in 2009. Current and planned observations will continue unaffected. Hubble continues to be in excellent health, and we expect the 28-year-old Great Observatory to continue bringing us groundbreaking science for years to come.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2018/hubble-spacecraft-update

Let's hope that remaining gyroscopes will work well...

BlueHusky2154

Unless JWST gets another delay, we should be fine.
Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Vawmataw

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on April 25, 2018, 09:22:01 PM
Unless JWST gets another delay, we should be fine.
Yeah.
I really hope that that no next delays ... JWST is really needed.