Space news topic and space related news

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 23, 2011, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irtaviš Ačankif

Phobos and Deimos were luckily simultaneously at greatest opposition on the same side of the planet. The points are so close together they add to each other's brightness, so I could see them like a bump on a very wobbly and tiny Mars (atm. distortion is horrific in Beijing).
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on May 07, 2012, 03:25:48 PM
Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on May 07, 2012, 03:22:58 PM
Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on May 07, 2012, 03:19:53 PM
I completely agree with Niri. I am strongly of the opinion that humanity should remain on the planet that they kill. The Earth.

So we are gonna destroy ourselves, we're gonna extinct this civilization?

I absolutely think so. We'll end up taking most of this planets life with us. But the Earth has survived extinctions before and life has taken it back several times in the past. This is no different aside from the fact that it is not a natural extinction this time, but one created by a single, destructive, virus of a species.

Yeah, George Carlin said it best in this video: George Carlin - Saving the Planet

I agree with everything Carlin says except that I believe that human ingenuity will prevail in the end. The human mind is an extremely wonderful and mysterious thing. There is no task too great for the human mind to tackle. Yet, it seems that when man is brought to the brink, only then does it really kick in its motivational gears and overclock the ingenuity drives and really get things done. Humanity is, after all, a creature of habit. Nevertheless, it is true that necessity is the mother of invention, invention, to which, will cause for man to simply adapt, overcome, and compensate.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on May 07, 2012, 03:39:55 PM

I think Mars is a fascinating . Wonder if there are still active geologics like earthquakes on it. I understand that the vulcanism has ceased.

From what I read of what they are seeing with the Mars Global Surveyor, there is still geologic activity. My bet is that Mars is hotter inside than we think.

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu
Do we know what time on the 20th the eclipse is? I wish to observe it too. I know as it wanes over the edge of the planet Earth over the states it takes a path right over Oregon/Nevada.

The local time of the eclipse depends on your location on earth. the site with the best data is here: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono/ASE2012/ASE2012.html For Reno, annularity is from 6:28 to 6:33 PM local time on the 20th.

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu
I have seen Venus late at night. Very bright. For such a bright, peaceful looking planet at this distance. It is a death ball of acidic gases. Too hot to form rain. Pity. Our sister world would have been a likely candidate for the next planet visited.

What a difference a few million miles makes  ;) But, yes, it is pretty. Venus burns like a lamp in our western sky right now. I am enjoying it while I can!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

New technology for detecting planets around other stars

First planet found by detecting the light, NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope

http://www.space.com/15597-alien-super-earth-light-detected-55-cancrie.html

Light from an alien "super-Earth" twice the size of our own Earth has been detected by a NASA space telescope for the first time in what astronomers are calling a historic achievement.

NASA's infrared Spitzer Space Telescope spotted light from the alien planet 55 Cancri e, which orbits a star 41 light-years from Earth. A day on the extrasolar planet lasts just 18 hours.

The planet 55 Cancri e was first discovered in 2004 and is not a habitable world. Instead, it is known as a super-Earth because of its size: The world is about twice the width of Earth and is super-dense, with about eight times the mass of Earth.

But until now, scientists have never managed to detect the infrared light from the super-Earth world.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

I completely agree with Niri. I am strongly of the opinion that humanity should remain on the planet that they kill. The Earth.

I absolutely think so. We'll end up taking most of this planets life with us. But the Earth has survived extinctions before and life has taken it back several times in the past. This is no different aside from the fact that it is not a natural extinction this time, but one created by a single, destructive, virus of a species.

But why not we stay on Earth, but maybe go back in time, if it will be possible sometime?
We go back in time, maybe before the ice age, or long before the dinosaurs died out?
Like in the tv series Terra Nova

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on May 09, 2012, 05:57:54 AM

But why not we stay on Earth, but maybe go back in time, if it will be possible sometime?
We go back in time, maybe before the ice age, or long before the dinosaurs died out?

There is a Star Trek Voyager book about the time travel thing... the society in it has gone back and forward in time settling all time-lines of the planet they inhabit as well as other planets in their system. There are hundreds of thousands of years voids with no habitation. This keeps the time-lines from co-mingling. Keeps someone from say, going back in time and killing their grandfather. Paradox.

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on May 09, 2012, 06:15:27 AM
Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on May 09, 2012, 05:57:54 AM

There is a Star Trek Voyager book about the time travel thing... the society in it has gone back and forward in time settling all time-lines of the planet they inhabit as well as other planets in their system. There are hundreds of thousands of years voids with no habitation. This keeps the time-lines from co-mingling. Keeps someone from say, going back in time and killing their grandfather. Paradox.

In the series Terra Nova, is it a time portal, you go through a portal, and then you are in an another time

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Looks like not only you in the Pacific areas who will get solar eclipse this month, also possible Norway, Sweden and Finland will get it

Then you need to get up from bed very early, when the Sun rises, 21st of may early morning

This is how it will looks like here in Norway, but this is just in the very most northern areas

Norway= Nordland(maybe?), Troms and Finmark county
Sweden= Lappland, Nordbotten? county
Finland= Lappi(maybe?) county

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

You have now the chance to reply the aliens

http://www.space.com/16294-wow-signal-alien-message-reply.html

If there's something you'd like to say to aliens, now's your chance. The Wow! signal, a mysterious radio transmission detected in 1977 that may or may not have come from extraterrestrials, is finally getting a response from humanity. Anyone can contribute his or her two cents — or 140 characters, to be exact — to the cosmic reply via Twitter.

All tweets composed between 8 p.m. EDT Friday (June 29) and 3 a.m. EDT Saturday (June 30) tagged with the hashtag #ChasingUFOs will be rolled into a single message, according to the National Geographic Channel, which is timing the Twitter event to coincide with the premiere of the channel's new series, "Chasing UFOs."

Then on Aug. 15, exactly 35 years after the Wow! signal was detected, humanity's crowdsourced message will be beamed into space in the direction from which the perplexing signal originated.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on May 15, 2012, 03:08:16 PM
Looks like not only you in the Pacific areas who will get solar eclipse this month, also possible Norway, Sweden and Finland will get it

Then you need to get up from bed very early, when the Sun rises, 21st of may early morning

This is how it will looks like here in Norway, but this is just in the very most northern areas

Norway= Nordland(maybe?), Troms and Finmark county
Sweden= Lappland, Nordbotten? county
Finland= Lappi(maybe?) county

This eclipse was annular here in Reno, Nevada, USA and I got some spectacular pictures-- on film! But as soon as I have scanned them in, I will post them here.

Yawey ngahu!

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

6 hours left to say something to the aliens

It is 6 hours left to send a message to the aliens, it is ending 3 am Eastern Daylight Time(example: New York)

http://www.space.com/16375-twitter-aliens-wow-signal-chasing-ufos.html

All Twitter messages composed between 8 p.m. EDT Friday (June 29) and 3 a.m. EDT Saturday (June 30) tagged with the hashtag #ChasingUFOs will be collectively beamed up to space Aug. 15, toward a spot in the sky from which a possible alien signal originated.

The cosmic tweet is a belated reply to the Wow! signal, a mysterious radio transmission that was detected at the Big Ear radio observatory in Ohio in 1977 coming from the direction of the constellation Sagittarius. At its peak, the 72-second transmission was 30 times more powerful than ambient radiation from deep space, prompting the volunteer astronomer Jerry Ehman to scrawl "Wow!" next to the data on a computer printout, giving the signal its name.

No one knows whether the seemingly unnatural blip of data really was beamed toward Earth by aliens, and despite great effort, scientists have never managed to detect a repeat transmission from the same spot in the sky. Thirty-five years on, the Wow! signal remains an anomaly.

Now, the Sagittarius aliens — if they do, in fact, exist — are finally getting humanity's response. The National Geographic Channel has organized the cosmic social media event to coincide with the premiere of its new series, "Chasing UFOs." [Roswell, Other Famous UFO Claims Get a Fresh Look]

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

The clock is stopping in 1 second tomorrow

http://www.space.com/16356-leap-second-added-clocks-saturday.html

The transition from June to July will be delayed by circumstances beyond everyone's control. Time will stand still for one second on Saturday evening (June 30) because a "leap second" will be added to let a lagging Earth catch up to super-accurate clocks.

International Atomic Time is a very accurate and stable time scale. It is a weighted average of the time kept by about 200 atomic clocks in over 50 national laboratories worldwide. Atomic time is measured through vibrations of atoms in a metal isotope that resembles mercury and can keep time to within a tenth of a billionth of a second per day. The result is extremely accurate time that can be used to improve synchronization in precision navigation and positioning systems, telecommunications networks and deep-space communications.

But from their careful observations of the positions of the stars, astronomers have deduced that Earth's rotation is ever so slightly slowing down at a non-uniform rate, probably attributable to its sloshing molten core, the rolling of the oceans, the melting of polar ice and the effects of solar and lunar gravity. 

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

A solar system that looks like our own:

Alien Solar System Looks a Lot Like Our Own

http://www.space.com/16750-alien-planets-solar-system-twin.html

Astronomers have discovered an alien solar system whose planets are arranged much like those in our own solar system, a find that suggests most planetary systems start out looking the same, scientists say.

Researchers studying the star system Kepler-30, which is 10,000 light-years from Earth, found that its three known worlds all orbit in the same plane, lined up with the rotation of the star — just like the planets in our own solar system do. The result supports the leading theory of planet formation, which posits that planets take shape from a disk of dust and gas that spins around newborn stars.

"In agreement with the theory, we have found the star's spin to be aligned with the planets," said study co-author Dan Fabrycky, of the University of California, Santa Cruz. "So this result is profound because it is basic data testing the standard planet formation theory."

It only makes sense. Think about the clay on a potters wheel, or the water that shoots off your back bike tire on a rainy day. Aligned to the orbital eclipse.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on July 25, 2012, 02:29:39 PM
It only makes sense. Think about the clay on a potters wheel, or the water that shoots off your back bike tire on a rainy day. Aligned to the orbital eclipse.

And protoplanetary disks have been directly imaged.

Yawey ngahu!

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

this is about Earth's climate

Are we near of a coming ice age?

as you see on this picture, the low pressures have changed it course dramatically, which have made
northern Europe get cold weather while central and southern Europe gets the warm weather
The upper shows the normal summer, while the below shows how it is this year
then you see how much it have changed, it is just stunning :o

It is the exact opposite in North America where over 20% of the country is in an EXTREME drought and over 60% is now in another form of drought.

Farmers here are culling their cattle herds and tilling in their corn for what they can get for cattle feed.

Also, over 98% of the surface of Greenland's ice sheets has shown some form of melting

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/07/greenland-ice-sheet-melting/

So no. I do not think we have anything close to a future ice age any time soon.

Eaite Randjam

Interesting that North America is seeing opposite trends than that of Europe.  We're definitely seeing change though!  How long do you think this will last?  Do you think this is the coming of permanent climate changes world-wide?

I do believe we have crossed a line that we cannot easily cross back. The planets weather systems and seasons do fluctuate, but I do think these extremes are now the norm. Last year throughout the Missouri and Mississippi River systems it was drastic flooding due to permafrost and pre-season snow melt that filled those rivers flood plains. This year it is the exact opposite.

However last year and the year before, for instance, Indiana has had a tough go of it with their crops drying out because of lack of rain.

I am afraid that if this continues, that farmers will dig their wells deeper to access the dropping water line of the central North American aquifer. If they go to deep they will hit salt water then you can say goodbye to it altogether.

The nature of weather systems is they eventually balance out. Think of this years extreme difference between America and Europe like the wobble created when the Summer or Winter equinox happens. the planet shifts back the way it came. to longer or shorter days. Balance.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

If you study the oscillations in the jet stream over the northern hemisphere, you will see that this pattern is not that far from normal. What is a bit abnormal is that the oscillations are not moving like they usually do. But that said, there has been a measurable increase in the output of the sun, and similar patterns are being observed on other planets.

There was hope for a while that the sun might have been going into another Maunder minimum. But then, the sunspot cycle suddenly kicked up its momentum. In addition to weater extremes, the sun has been producing a lot of solar storms lately.

Over the very long term. the sun's output will increase. Eventually, it will cook the earth, and then go red giant. By then, we will NEED a place like Pandora to go to.

Yawey ngahu!