Space news topic and space related news

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 23, 2011, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Well that is millions of years away, perhaps billions.

And in the short term, maybe we will get lucky enough to have a direct hit from one of those sun bursts.

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

I read about it yesterday about that is happening on Greenland
but I think that Greenland is a part of the cold weather in northern Europe
think how much freshwater that is flowing to the Atlantic. think how much in m3

m3= 1,000 litres

I think that the North Atlantic Current is being disturbed about how much amount of salt it is in the ocean
Less salt in ocean, then the ocean is much colder

If I calculate correct, we are very near a new global cooling period, we are right in the beginning of the global cooling period
I wonder how the winter this year will be
and think about next year, I wonder how the climate will be next year

And I say this, cause I am a genius
I am very smart, I wonder what my IQ is

Going by ice core records and averages, we should have entered into it in the late 1800's. But due to industrialization, we changed that and sent it the other direction to a warming trend instead.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on July 27, 2012, 09:29:15 AM
Going by ice core records and averages, we should have entered into it in the late 1800's. But due to industrialization, we changed that and sent it the other direction to a warming trend instead.

Or, we actually are heading the other way, we are heading for a new ice age
I believe that theory

I disagree. I think desertification will be the dominant force in our near future.

Irtaviš Ačankif

Actually, I think that what will happen is best summarized as The Weather Gets Really Messed Up. Really. "Global warming" or "ice age" sounds bad, but it is a bit of an overgeneralization. What will happen is that cities get extraordinarily hot (because of a local greenhouse effect) and we get a dramatic temperature gradient of 5 or more degrees around the city limits. This already happens around Beijing. Abnormal weather systems are then set up around cities that cause funny things to happen. Last Saturday, Beijing got its worst flash flood since its meterological history causing 60+ deaths. Mind that Beijing has no major rivers nearby - it is just rainwater collecting in the streets. Most of the cars parked in the streets were damaged or even submerged.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Niri Te

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on July 27, 2012, 09:31:03 AM

I believe that theory

Well, if it is a natural global cycle, and not caused by us, we will all be in the ground long before the ice hits the "lower 48", and probably won't even MAKE south west Texas, though the temperatures will. If it is natural, then we can all go to our graves knowing that we bear no blame for causing it. The screwed up atmosphere, on the other hand.......
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Quote from: Niri Te on July 27, 2012, 09:47:03 AM

I believe that theory

Well, if it is a natural global cycle, and not caused by us, we will all be in the ground long before the ice hits the "lower 48", and probably won't even MAKE south west Texas, though the temperatures will. If it is natural, then we can all go to our graves knowing that we bear no blame for causing it. The screwed up atmosphere, on the other hand.......
Niri Te

We've offset the natural cycle, is what I meant to explain above. Eventually it will balance out, hopefully with the demise of our species. Who knows.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

It is just 10 days now till Curiosity, Mars Science Laboratory, is landing on Mars
it is currently now 1.8 million miles away from the Red Planet, travelling at 12700 kmh(7900 mph)

Get updates and news of Mars Science Laboratory: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on July 27, 2012, 10:06:11 AM
Quote from: Niri Te on July 27, 2012, 09:47:03 AM

I believe that theory

Niri Te

We've offset the natural cycle, is what I meant to explain above. Eventually it will balance out, hopefully with the demise of our species. Who knows.

I saw an article that National Geographic posted, and it looks very scary, and this may be extremely dangerous
It is about that summer storms can create holes in the ozone layer as more the Earth is heating up, that they can trigger
ozone depletion in populated areas far from the poles

What's more, if more sunlight reaches Earth, skin cancer could become the new marquee risk of global warming.
As the planet warms, some studies have suggested summer storms may become more frequent and intense. This would send more water vapor—a potent greenhouse gas—into the stratosphere, the middle layer of Earth's atmosphere, which sits between 9 and 22 miles (14 and 35 kilometers) above Earth's surface.

Wait what? can it vaporize some of the stratosphere? some of Earth's atmosphere? ???
If I understood it correctly?

Read more here: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/07/120726-storms-ozone-hole-global-warming-environment-science/

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I think a lot of this is overblown. Big thunderstorms blast big holes in the stratosphere. But they are temporary. And solar radiation falling through the storm-caused hole is absorbed by the storm itself.

Unfortunately for them, National Geographic has become much more activist over the years, and has promoted a variety of liberal causes. So, take what you read there with a grain of salt.

One think to keep in mind when thinking about global warming: The sun puts down on the earth's surface, on a clear day, about a kilowatt per square meter, of energy. Everything man does, pales by comparison.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Until you nuke it, yes.

We choose the slower path of placing more and more coal fire power plants online in places like India and China. And our leading governments that have tried to fix the lag behind governments and countries, place loopholes and or refuse to sign on, like their smaller counterparts.

YAY America!

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Grand Canyon under Antarctica

The deep rift valley beneath the ice may help speed glacial meltdown

A massive rift valley that lies under a portion of the West Antarctic ice sheet could be speeding its melt, according to scientists who compared their discovery to a frozen Grand Canyon.

The subglacial basin underneath the Ferrigno Ice Stream is up to a mile deep in places. It lies in West Antarctica, a region where thinning glaciers shed so much ice they contribute 10 percent of global sea-level rise.

For scientists, news of the ice-filled rift valley goes beyond novelty. They hope the discovery will help them understand how the contours of the bedrock that underlies most of Antarctica's ice affects where, and how quickly, that ice will melt as the climate changes.

Read more: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=scientists-uncover-grand-canyon-in-antarctica&WT.mc_id=SA_DD_20120727

Makes me wonder what would have happened if we were as technologically advance as we are now, a few thousand years ago and instead of looking at Antarctica we were looking at Iceland do the exact same thing as the globes glaciers receded from the last ice age?

There is a rift valley in the Horn of Africa (Ethiopia) and most scientists believe that humanity as we know it developed there and spread outward.

I personally think it would be very fascinating to watch that rift open up and flood in from the Indian Ocean when it finally cracks open enough.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

That rift valley has been described as 'the biggest crack in the earth'. It runs from just north of Israel (forms the Jordan valley) to Nigeria. It is dotted with active volcanoes (especially in East Africa) and is a source of seismic activity. I have been on the floor of that valley, in Tanzania.

That valley is far enough inland that I don't think it will be flooded by the ocean any time soon. And most of it, even though it is a deep valley, is well above sea level. However, the Red Sea is a continuation of this rift system.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Correct. The trait with most rifts like this is a three way split and the confluence of that is below sea level in Ethiopia.

It will be namy tens of millions of years before it pulls Africa to pieces. Perhaps this valley has been forming since India broke away so long ago? Like the way a sharp cut of a river into sand would be steep and jagged, but over time would settle due to gravity into a shore?

I think the greatest rift is the Atlantic Ocean. I am also curious about the one in central Russia that has created Lake Baikal.

I believe this is the only lake on Earth that has a tide, likely due to it's depth.

Seze Mune

Enough said with THAT video. Now if we can just wake up the 7 billion people that live beneath the clouds, it might be savable. Lets hope they 'see'.

Something new. Preceded by something old.

Sakurajima Volcano erupting February 19th of this year
Japan's Sakurajima Volcano Erupts

And erupting again July 24th,
Japan Sakurajima Volcano Erupts

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

As you said about the African rift, most of Africa will possible move northwards, towards Europe, and it will close the Meditteranean Sea, I have read about it at NASA. It will take around 50 million years till it closes, possible start first at the Strait of Gibraltar, then the rest of it. It will then form a mountain range along there, like the Himalaya's

It is the beginning of the forming of the latest supercontinent, it was named Pangaea
about 250 million years, it is known as Pangaea Ultima. I don't know if I have mentioned this before
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2000/ast06oct_1/

This is about 50 million years

and this is about 250 million years

And I think this has a influence on Earth's climate, as you see, it is land under Antarctica, but ice over it, as Antarctica moves north, the ice will dissapear