sevina tireaioang aean

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on November 17, 2011, 05:06:18 PM
Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on November 17, 2011, 04:59:56 PM
Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on November 17, 2011, 04:06:30 PM
here you got a real picture

a transit of Venus

http://www.davidcortner.com/astro/vtransit/asd_1470c.jpg

don't tell this is a computer model
You can get pictures of transits of planets in the solar system, but NOT exoplanets such as Pandora  ;)

And we're quite sure that there are no night lights on Mars!

we know it is no nightlights on Mars. We have sent satellites to Mars, who orbiting and even the MER(Mars Exploration Rover) knows it is no nightlights

nice picture  :-[

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on November 17, 2011, 04:06:30 PM
here you got a real picture

a transit of Venus

http://www.davidcortner.com/astro/vtransit/asd_1470c.jpg

don't tell this is a computer model
Ma Tsanten,

Let me try to explain it to you. Transits are visible within the solar system because they are close. No nightlights are in the solar system except from Earth. However, observing transits outside the solar system in enough detail to see nightlights is impossible. Therefore, that method is totally useless. By the way, don't always trust what newspapers say about astronomy  ;)
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on November 17, 2011, 03:09:44 PM
new method has been found out to find alien life.

It is to detect nightlights on other planets from alien cities

In what I think, for this method, we will only find intelligence life, like us

http://planetsave.com/2011/11/16/bright-lights-on-alien-worlds-may-indicate-e-t-civilization/

I question the presumption of human life being *intelligent*, for multiple reasons.  If there IS other life on other planets, its possible they would consider us the same way we consider marsupials...so much for intelligent life.  And regardless, the way world affairs are these days, I think it's legitimate to question in what direction human intelligence is demonstrated.

Irtaviš Ačankif

I define intelligent as "self-understanding." Basically, we understand a lot about ourselves. Remember "Human Physiology" in biology class? Understanding about ourselves allows humanity to break loose from the restraints of animal instincts. For example, why doesn't every country just try to conquer everybody else by brute force, even though that is an animal instinct? It is because of our understanding of ourselves - of our understanding that destroying each other is not good for anybody. Lions, on the other hand, do try to conquer each other's territory, as intuition tells them that to get more space you need to forcibly get it from others and Lions have no idea of an action's consequence on "lionity."

So ONLY intelligent races could survive for more than, say, a thousand years if they are big. If they are small, like the lion race, no problem. An unintelligent population of a few billion will self annihilate in within a century.

By the way, unintelligent beings will not be able to discuss intelligence. Only beings more intelligent than intelligent, so to speak, can discuss intelligence like we do.

Seze Mune

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on November 18, 2011, 10:57:13 PM
I define intelligent as "self-understanding." Basically, we understand a lot about ourselves. Remember "Human Physiology" in biology class? Understanding about ourselves allows humanity to break loose from the restraints of animal instincts. For example, why doesn't every country just try to conquer everybody else by brute force, even though that is an animal instinct? It is because of our understanding of ourselves - of our understanding that destroying each other is not good for anybody. Lions, on the other hand, do try to conquer each other's territory, as intuition tells them that to get more space you need to forcibly get it from others and Lions have no idea of an action's consequence on "lionity."

So ONLY intelligent races could survive for more than, say, a thousand years if they are big. If they are small, like the lion race, no problem. An unintelligent population of a few billion will self annihilate in within a century.

By the way, unintelligent beings will not be able to discuss intelligence. Only beings more intelligent than intelligent, so to speak, can discuss intelligence like we do.

Hmm.  I see this a little differently.  I do not define intelligence as 'self-understanding' because I do not believe that we understand ourselves either in individual terms or in general soft science (human psychology) terms.  We are still aynumeyu, so we are learning to understand, but we do not as yet fully understand.  As Mo'at says in Avatar," It is hard to fill a cup that is already full."  If we already  understood ourselves, why would we have the social sciences?

Besides, if we really understood ourselves, we would not have the problems we have, for what person of any real intelligence would choose them?

When you speak of countries trying to conquer other countries you speak of social Darwinism.  As it's popularly understood, Darwinism seems to posit the ascendency of the strong over the weak, i.e. only the fittest and the strongest survive.  I challenge that idea.  Life is based upon cooperation for survival, and not vanquishing/killing.  Were it not for the cooperation of your 'unintelligent' cells, you would not have a physical body, yet you might consider yourself more intelligent than them.  These cells have a consciousness apart from ours, which guides their functioning. That is a kind of intelligence, in certain terms.  Is that not strange we depend on the unintelligent for our very survival?

Perhaps what allows humanity to become different from 'mere' animals is the awareness of choice. We apply our adopted set of psychological characteristics and beliefs (these change all the time) to the choice at hand and we believe we are intelligent. This is a myth in my eyes. There is a difference between being able to make choices, and making wise choices.  How many people do we know who make consistently wise choices? And where then, is the intelligence?

Not only that, but there are multiple types of intelligences in the human entity, from scientific to artistic, to idiot savant, to interpersonal and more...and it is an unintelligent culture which does not acknowledge and encourage them...which I believe includes most dominant cultures on 'Rrta today.

My two cents, and you can keep the change. :D

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Why it is so hard to reach Mars:

On saturday(nov 26) NASA is launching the Curiosity Rover to Mars. This can be a tough mission. It is probably that this mission can fail as what happened with the russian probe Phobos-Grunt.

As NASA prepares to launch its huge new Curiosity rover toward Mars on Saturday (Nov. 26), the current travails of a robotic Russian probe stranded around Earth offer an uncomfortable truth: Getting to the Red Planet is tough.

Russia's Phobos-Grunt probe, which launched Nov. 8 on a mission aimed at the Martian moon Phobos, remains stuck in low-Earth orbit, and the chances of salvaging the craft appear slim. If Phobos-Grunt can't be saved, it will be the 19th straight Russian Mars mission that failed to achieve its mission goals in full.

But Russia isn't alone in its Red Planet difficulties; other space agencies, including those of Japan, the United States and Europe, have felt the sting of Mars failure in the last dozen years or so.

Scientists and engineers working on Curiosity's $2.5 billion mission, which is officially known as the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL), acknowledge that success is not guaranteed. But they say they've prepared as well as they can, and they're confident things will go well.

"We're expecting tremendous results," MSL manager Pete Theisinger, of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, Calif., told reporters in a Nov. 10 launch briefing.

http://www.space.com/13698-mars-missions-hard-nasa-rover-russian-probe.html

http://www.space.com/13688-nasa-mars-rover-curiosity-launch-week.html

More news:

New Horizons probe is going to search after Pluto's hidden ocean:

When NASA's New Horizons cruises by Pluto in 2015, the images it captures could help astronomers determine if an ocean is hiding under the frigid surface, opening the door to new possibilities for liquid water to exist on other bodies in the solar system. New research has not only concluded such an ocean is likely, but also has highlighted features the spacecraft could identify that could help confirm an ocean's existence.

Pluto's outer surface is composed of a thin shell of nitrogen ice, covering a shell of water ice. Planetary scientists Guillaume Robuchon and Francis Nimmo, both of the University of California at Santa Cruz, wanted to find out whether or not an ocean could exist underneath this icy shell, and what visible signs such an ocean might produce on the surface.

The pair modeled the thermal evolution of the dwarf planet and studied the behavior of the shell to see how the surface would be affected by the presence of an ocean below.

http://www.space.com/13703-pluto-horizons-subsurface-ocean.html

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Kamean on November 26, 2011, 09:23:38 AM
Irayo for this. :)

you was a little late to see it, but it replays the launch

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

BIG WARNING FOR NASA

New Horizons spacecraft, who is on the way to Pluto, can be destroyed, because the moons of Pluto can smash into the spacecraft

Pluto has already 3 moons, as what we know now, but when New Horizons getting closer it can go into a debris. The small moons are under constant bombardment from nearby space rocks called Kuiper Belt objects, but the moons low gravity prevents them from holding on to chunks of dirt and rock that fly into the air when hit. The debris instead finds itself caught in orbit around Pluto, where it could pose a serious threat to New Horizons.

"The most likely problem we would encounter is to be hit by something that is large enough to instantly destroy the spacecraft," New Horizons principal investigator Alan Stern, of the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, Texas, told SPACE.com.

Though cameras on the New Horizons probe will begin observing the Pluto system several months before its closest approach, they won't be able to detect the fast-flying milligram-size particles that could spell instant death if they collide with the vehicle.

New moons on the rise:
Pluto's first known moon, Charon, was discovered in 1978, nearly 50 years after the dwarf planet was found. The Hubble Space Telescope discovered the next two of Pluto's moons in 2005, only two and a half months before New Horizons was launched.

In July of this year, a fourth moon of Pluto was located, and there are hints that two more might exist.

With three of Pluto's four moons having been discovered in the last five years, scientists have a hunch there are likely more still hidden.

Due to these new additions, a group of experts recently convened to analyze the hazards New Horizons might face. After determining the threat was real, they discussed how to avoid it.

A harder look at the challenge could make a significant difference, scientists say. Continuing to study the system with the Hubble Space Telescope, as well as several ground-based telescopes, could help reveal other hidden moons and their orbits well before New Horizons arrives.

Irtaviš Ačankif

Spacecraft getting smashed by moons is totally impossible. The hyperbolic trajectory of New Horizons would go faster than the moons, and therefore wouldn't get "smashed" by the moons orbiting Pluto. However, it COULD possibly smash the moon, thereby destroying it. However again, a small correctional maneuver will steer it clear.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on November 28, 2011, 05:44:59 PM
Spacecraft getting smashed by moons is totally impossible. The hyperbolic trajectory of New Horizons would go faster than the moons, and therefore wouldn't get "smashed" by the moons orbiting Pluto. However, it COULD possibly smash the moon, thereby destroying it. However again, a small correctional maneuver will steer it clear.

But it will be difficult for New Horizons to detect them, they orbit Pluto so fast, it's nearly impossible to spot them, except the big ones, like Hydra, Nix, Charon and P4

Irtaviš Ačankif

As I said, they orbit Pluto really fast, but New Horizons is faster.

And they are quite small, so they won't suck New Horizons to crash with them with immense gravity.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on November 29, 2011, 07:24:23 AM
As I said, they orbit Pluto really fast, but New Horizons is faster.

And they are quite small, so they won't suck New Horizons to crash with them with immense gravity.

we'll see around 2015, if New Horizons will make it. It will take a flyby of Pluto, and then continue further out of the solar system

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Most of those particles are going to orbit the planet about its equator, or at least in a flat disk. New Horizons will most likely not be encountering Pluto in the same plane, but at some angle to it. There will be a brief period of risk when the spacecraft crosses this plane. But because this is a flyby, and a fairly distant one at that, the risk is generally small. Remember that Cassini has crossed through Saturn's rings (in the gaps) a number of times, and has sustained no damage. One of these times was just after its orbital capture burn, and before any real science had been done.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 29, 2011, 03:16:15 PM
Most of those particles are going to orbit the planet about its equator, or at least in a flat disk. New Horizons will most likely not be encountering Pluto in the same plane, but at some angle to it. There will be a brief period of risk when the spacecraft crosses this plane. But because this is a flyby, and a fairly distant one at that, the risk is generally small. Remember that Cassini has crossed through Saturn's rings (in the gaps) a number of times, and has sustained no damage. One of these times was just after its orbital capture burn, and before any real science had been done.

You have a very good point there. I agree with you. Most of the particles orbit on equator, not high inclination. So why not fly above/under it?

If you check out this picture, the moons have a same orbit, same inclination
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Orbit_of_Pluto%27s_moon_P4.jpg

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

1.December 11:00 am,  a 3 pound(1.4 kg) metal piece, big as a soda can crashes in a warehouse in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

Inspector was sent to the site. They thought it was a piece, falling from a passed plane, but they denied that. They don't know what it is

http://www.space.com/13799-metal-debris-roof-warehouse.html

Kamean

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Kamean on December 02, 2011, 02:15:11 PM
Interesting

They checked if it was space junk, but they denied that too.

I wonder what it can be

What you think it can be, ma tsmukan?

Kamean

Most similar to some piece of aircraft. Or, maybe, tornado blew it high in the sky and it landed far away. Such incidents happened. For example, a rain of frogs and fish.