Unifying General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics

Started by `Eylan Ayfalulukanä, May 29, 2015, 04:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Some scientists may finally have found the mathematical connection between General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, something long sought by scientists. And they found it in a surprising place-- quantum entanglement. Scientists have long suspected that there might be some form of connection between gravity and entanglement. This paper explains a plausible way this connection might actually exist. I think we will hear a lot more about this in the futre, as it is further explored.

http://www.scientificcomputing.com/news/2015/05/quantum-entanglement-provides-insight-unification-general-relativity-quantum-mechanics?et_cid=4595606&et_rid=45574060&location=top

EDITORIAL: I am beginning to suspect that our uncertainty about how many of these physical processes work is because we are not measuring them correctly, or using the right 'language' to describe them. This is truly an exciting time to be studying theoretical physics!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toliman

Txantsan!

Unification of General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics can help to solution of many astrophysical problems.
Example creation of the Universe  :) (it's true)

And yes, theoretical physic is very interesting

BTW Quantum mechanics now I study at school.

Tìtstewan

Fì'u txantsan nìtxan nang!

Quote from: Toliman on May 29, 2015, 05:25:34 PM
Unification of General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics can help to solution of many astrophysical problems.
Example creation of the Universe  :) (it's true)
Or, the black holes. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

I need a short and simple explanation about both theories.  :-X
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Toliman, that is good thing to be studying. We definitely need to talk more!
Ma Vamataw, I'll try tomorrow sometime to sum up these areas in a few paragraphs ;)

Yawey ngahu!

Tìtstewan

I try to explain in short:
Quantum entanglement is simply said a physical phenomenon of instant interaction between two or more particles (photons, atoms, molekules...). Entangled particle interact instantly also if the particles are on completely different locations.
Example, if one measures the spin of +1/2 of an entangled atom that is located in X, the other atom located in Y will instantly have the spin of -1/2. Now imagine, that X is located on the Earth ond Y on Alpha Centaury, the interaction happen instantly in 0 seconds. But don't expect that one can use that for faster-than-light communication.

General relativity by Einstein simply describe the gravitation as an effect of the curvature of the spacetime. The theory says that a heavy masses like a planet, a star, a black hole etc. curve the spacetime which we feel as gravity.

As this theory is a classical field theory, it is not much compatible with the quantum theory, and this is the reason why it is so diffivult to unify this theory with quantum mechanics.
A simple example would be a black hole: it has very high gravity, the dense is infine and the volume zero. The singularity in the center of a black hole would usually described by quantum mechanichs because it is very small "point", and general theory of relativity doesn't work here. But a black hole has a macroscopic influence (the gravity, curvature of the spacetime) and can be descibed by the general relativity.
This fact makes necessary to find a way to unify the general relativity and quantum mechanics.

That's my weirdo way of explanation...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Vawmataw

So, the instant interaction between two or more particles is influenced by/related to the curvature of the spacetime?

Tìtstewan

No. Instant interaction is a quantum mechanic thing. The general theory of relativity does not make much sense in area of the quantum mechanics. This is why we don't know how to handle with a singularity of a black hole or how to describe the beginning of the universe, because the relativistic equations doesn't make sense or the results are pointless in such small dimensions. Also, we have no idea yet how gravity works exactly.
Quantum mechanics is for nanoscopic, general relativity is for macroscopic stuff. A unification would make possible to get solutions for a lot of astronomical stuff.

Edit: We nee a theory of everything.

Vawmataw

Oh!  :-[ So these theories are two puzzle pieces? To make two theories in one or just to unify?

Tìtstewan

I am not sure how to answer that question. The basic idea is to get a theory that can solve all the stuff of the general relativity and standard model.
The standard model describes the electromagnetic, weak, and strong nuclear interactions, but it does not incorporate the full theory of gravitation as described by general relativity.

One popular possible theory of everything is the string theory / M-theory, but there also other candidates like the loop quantum gravity.

Yeah, I see it becomes complicated. :o

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tìtstewan on May 30, 2015, 08:10:32 AM
I am not sure how to answer that question. The basic idea is to get a theory that can solve all the stuff of the general relativity and standard model.
The standard model describes the electromagnetic, weak, and strong nuclear interactions, but it does not incorporate the full theory of gravitation as described by general relativity.

One popular possible theory of everything is the string theory / M-theory, but there also other candidates like the loop quantum gravity.

Yeah, I see it becomes complicated. :o
We will stop here. ;)

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on May 30, 2015, 07:39:12 AM
Oh!  :-[ So these theories are two puzzle pieces? To make two theories in one or just to unify?

We want make one universal theory that will be able to describe microworld and macroworld.

Now, Quantum mechanic correctly describe only microworld and Special Relativity describes correctly only macroworld

And yes, this is really difficult part of physics ... but for this also very nice

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

But because we know everything exists, and works, we know that these two disparate theories need to be connected in some way. Its like a puzzle that holds together nicely, but none of the pieces fit each other.

Yawey ngahu!

Toliman

Quote from: Toliman on May 30, 2015, 08:24:08 AM
Quote from: Vawmataw on May 30, 2015, 07:39:12 AM
Oh!  :-[ So these theories are two puzzle pieces? To make two theories in one or just to unify?

We want make one universal theory that will be able to describe microworld and macroworld.

Now, Quantum mechanic correctly describe only microworld and Special Relativity describes correctly only macroworld

Better: We want unite both theories into one universal theory.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Yawey ngahu!

Tìtstewan

An universal theory have to be able to describe correctly all the stuff of the quantum mechanics and the relativity theory, plus, to describe other mystical stuff such as dark matter and dark energy.

If the sciencists try to develop new theories that could take the role as universal theory, they have to add "weird" things. For example, the string theory requires many dimensions (11?) to make sense...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

That is why I stated that I am beginning to believe we are looking at things in a totally incorrect way. When we finally do see how this all relates, scientists will probably say, "Why didn't we realize this years ago?" It will probably be something so absurdly obvious that we were overlooking it all along.

Yawey ngahu!