which place in solar system would you travel to, If you could?

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 18, 2011, 03:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which place?

Mercury
0 (0%)
Venus
0 (0%)
Mars
5 (41.7%)
Jupiter
0 (0%)
Callisto
0 (0%)
Io
1 (8.3%)
Europa
1 (8.3%)
Saturn
2 (16.7%)
Rhea
0 (0%)
Titan
1 (8.3%)
Uranus
0 (0%)
Neptune
2 (16.7%)
Pluto
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

which place in our solar system, would you travel to, if you could?

I would really travel to Neptune :)

Nì'awtua Eyktan

Europa has always been my favourite moon. It's possible there could be life in the oceans below the ice, near hydrothermal vents on the ocean floor, like in the book 2010: Odyssey Two.

Raiden

Saturn, because the moons are awesome.

And yeah, Europa is tantalizing as far as life goes.
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Vawm tsamsiyu

I'd go to the sun and skim under its surface for a while then resurface like destiny  :)
they killed the [you] tag

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I chose Mars because it is a practical place to relocate to. It has a reasonable level of gravity. The temperature range can be dealt with, there is some atmosphere and plenty of water. There is enough sun at least part of the year to use solar energy (will most likely still need a nuclear reactor for power). And, I could take a pair of lions with me to keep me company.....

I didn't see the moon listed. The moon has a lot of advantages over Mars. Still far enough though, to keep the bureaucrats and the animal haters away!

The bottom line: Anywhere but here (earth)!!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

guest2859

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 30, 2011, 09:12:08 PM
I chose Mars because it is a practical place to relocate to. It has a reasonable level of gravity. The temperature range can be dealt with, there is some atmosphere and plenty of water. There is enough sun at least part of the year to use solar energy (will most likely still need a nuclear reactor for power). And, I could take a pair of lions with me to keep me company.....

I didn't see the moon listed. The moon has a lot of advantages over Mars. Still far enough though, to keep the bureaucrats and the animal haters away!

Um, I don't recall Mars having water... the north pole is nothing but dry ice. (Frozen CO2)

Chose Neptune. Always loved it.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Nantang 'Rrtayä on December 01, 2011, 10:15:17 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 30, 2011, 09:12:08 PM

Um, I don't recall Mars having water... the north pole is nothing but dry ice. (Frozen CO2)

Chose Neptune. Always loved it.

the temperature on Mars is like on the autumn, here on Earth. Warmest temperature is 2 degrees celsius on Mars, red-orange atmosphere and some clouds, so maybe it's possible for rain?

Clarke

Wait, since when did Mars have any sort of liquid water, let alone clouds?  ???

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Kamean

On Mars. But happy to be visited all planets. :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

guest2859

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on December 02, 2011, 10:02:00 AM
Quote from: Thomas R on December 02, 2011, 08:08:30 AM

proof of clouds on Mars
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/phoenix/images-all.php?fileID=15777

It could very well be water, but in my opinion it's just fine dust. There is some proof that water exists on mars, but I don't think it exists in mass quantities. Reason being fine dust is because on dry days around here, dirt is blown up all the time, and at a distance looks like just an orange sky, or going back as far as 80 years, can be a Dust Bowl, or hurricane of dirt (basically). So, the image could practically be anything with relatively fluid motion and near-inexistant mass.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Nantang 'Rrtayä on December 02, 2011, 08:51:37 PM
Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on December 02, 2011, 10:02:00 AM
Quote from: Thomas R on December 02, 2011, 08:08:30 AM

proof of clouds on Mars
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/phoenix/images-all.php?fileID=15777

It could very well be water, but in my opinion it's just fine dust. There is some proof that water exists on mars, but I don't think it exists in mass quantities. Reason being fine dust is because on dry days around here, dirt is blown up all the time, and at a distance looks like just an orange sky, or going back as far as 80 years, can be a Dust Bowl, or hurricane of dirt (basically). So, the image could practically be anything with relatively fluid motion and near-inexistant mass.

It is proof that it has existed before, but now is Curiosity Rover to find out, if it existed TODAY water

Human No More

"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Current research shows there is plenty of water on Mars. It is just not on the surface. It is not far down, either.

Yawey ngahu!

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 09, 2011, 01:40:01 PM
Current research shows there is plenty of water on Mars. It is just not on the surface. It is not far down, either.

I thought they said they found out that Mars has had water before, that Mars was habitable before, but now with the thin atmosphere.

Venus has also thought to be habitable before, but then It got too hot. It was total climate chaos on Venus, something happened with the greenhouse gases. That's why it is so extremely hot there. Venus is also called "Hell"

And go to Venus, I don't think a spacesuit will protect you. But Mars, Yes, definitely on the summer. Temperature on Mars rises up to 2 degrees celsius on the warmest period, I think it's near it's equator

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Water or no water, Mars is not habitable. The presence of an atmosphere helps, but the air is not breatheable. It is too thin, and not the right composition. There have been some ideas floated about giving Mars a CFC atmosphere that would trap heat, and also serve as the 'nitrogen' part of the air. (CFC's in most other respects than heat trapping are pretty inert.) Fortify this with oxygen, and you have another habitable planet.

Venus would make hell look like a cakewalk. There is so much heat and pressure at the surface that a probe would need a cooling system that could only be powered by a nuclear reactor (and you still need to get rid of the reactor's excess heat) if you wanted a probe to operate for any length of time. (I think the current record is 16 minutes for a probe on the surface.) Now imagine what this would do to a guy in a spacesuit  :(

Yawey ngahu!

Vawm tsamsiyu

But there's much more to work with on Venus. If you screwed up its greenhouse effect like the great oxygen event that happened on earth it might not be that bad. It would be hard but who says terraforming is easy

Human No More

With no atmosphere at all, Venus would still be 130 degrees celsius :P

One of the problems with Mars is its gravity, which means even if an atmosphere was artificially formed, it would be difficult to retain - it doesn't have much more than twice the moon's.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Vawm tsamsiyu

Quote from: Human No More on December 26, 2011, 07:29:33 PM
With no atmosphere at all, Venus would still be 130 degrees celsius :P
maybe on the sunny side but even mercury is Super cold on its dark side (-262° f)
And I remember seeing a show about it that said even though it's closer to the sun it shouldn't be that bad but greenhouse gases screws it all up