09 July :: The Panel and Bilingual Q&A

Started by Prrton, May 27, 2011, 06:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Oma Tirea

Tìpawm: are there any restrictions, other than having to be about the language, on the questions that we can ask Pawl/Brooks?

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: TunVrrtep on May 31, 2011, 11:52:14 PM
HRH I wouldn't know what to ask or how to ask it in Na'vi.  I'm really bad with the language.  I think all my language learning skills ended right after I was fluent in French in High School.  Although I can still speak French when I'm pissed.  HRH

You could consider adopting one of the pre-created questions.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Prrton

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 02, 2011, 08:47:02 AM
Tìpawm: are there any restrictions, other than having to be about the language, on the questions that we can ask Pawl/Brooks?

They don't have to be about the language, even...

You could ask Paul if it is his first visit to Seattle and what he thinks about the city...

You could ask Brooks what his favorite artifact is in the exhibit or how they deal with things that are huge like the AMP...

The questions just should not be anything that is too personal, or 'controversial' in terms of casting any kind of negative shadow on the Avatar franchise. I don't think Paul would like talking about the gibberish Na'vi in the ASG, for example.

But you can PM me the questions you're thinking of and I'll ask him directly how he feels about them. He's already done that once for me just so that I could try to get a feel on how he wants this to go.

Prrton

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 02, 2011, 03:21:47 PM
Quote from: TunVrrtep on May 31, 2011, 11:52:14 PM
HRH I wouldn't know what to ask or how to ask it in Na'vi.  I'm really bad with the language.  I think all my language learning skills ended right after I was fluent in French in High School.  Although I can still speak French when I'm pissed.  HRH

You could consider adopting one of the pre-created questions.

Or you could ask something really simple:

Nivew nga fivrrfen Eywa'evengit, srak?
  Would you want to visit Pandora?

Nivew nga torukit mivakto, srak?
  Would you want to ride a toruk?

Prrton

New question available:

- Peseng lu 'o' frato a tseng a fìlì'fyal ngati 'Rrtamì feykolrrfen?
    Where is the most fun place on Earth that this language has taken you?

I have an MP3 of it I'll send to anyone who wants it. You can practice 10,000 times before the 9th if you like.

Especially recommended for folks who are good at rolling their 'RRs.  ;D

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

To all those who want pronunciation practice, 'Oma Tirea and I are available as a language coaches :) Message one of us if you need help :)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Finally! I have 20 minutes of uninterrupted time to work on Na`vi  :) Here is my candidate question:
Tingäzìk pefya nìtxan a ngaru ngerop lì`fyat leNa`vi a kem si pam akewong tengkrr pam alor

I bet there is some room for improvement on this question.

Yawey ngahu!

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 17, 2011, 02:50:17 AM
Finally! I have 20 minutes of uninterrupted time to work on Na`vi  :) Here is my candidate question:
Tingäzìk pefya nìtxan a ngaru ngerop lì`fyat leNa`vi a kem si pam akewong tengkrr pam alor

I bet there is some room for improvement on this question.

Hm, I would say Krr a Lì'fyati leNa'vi ngarmop ngal, tìngäzìkìri hìtxampe lu ngaru fte lì'fyati pam sekyivi na pum akewong slä lor tengkrr?

That's a very good question!

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txona, I generally like that. But there are a couple issues here.

The first I think is a spelling error. The word sekyivi I cannot find in any way, shape or form. I think you might have really meant seykivi, which does make sense in context- 'cause to want to make/do'. But this, then creates a second problem pam seykivi, while nice in meaning, isn't a legal word.

So, if pam seykivi cannot be used, how about ...fte lì'fyati kem seykivi na pum akewong slä lor tengkrr

With these changes, the need for na pum goes away, but a pam is needed somewhere. So the net result is:

Krr a Lì'fyati leNa'vi ngarmop ngal, tìngäzìkìri hìtxampe lu ngaru fte lì'fyati kem seykivi pam akewong slä lor tengkrr

Yawey ngahu!

Prrton

I suggest this:

Krr a horenit famä Lì'fyayä leNa'vi txarmula ngal, pefnetìngäzìk lu teri fwa fmi ngivop
   nìfya'o a slu lor tengkrr a lam na pumo akewong kop.
   When you were assembling the phonological rules of Na'vi, what kinds of challenges did you
   have regarding trying to have it sound beautiful as well as seem alien.

Phonological elements are just there, existing, so I think of coming up with the phonology more of an exercise like tinker-toys. That's why I put txula in up front. I do think that in the big picture of things it's a creation process, though, so I used ngop as well later in the primary clause.

The English here is not a literal translation, of course.

If you're uncomfortable with pumo, I think it could stand equally as well as 'uo.

Some might also want to put slu and lam into the subjunctive after nìfya'o a, but I don't feel it's necessary.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Prrton on June 17, 2011, 07:57:17 PM

I suggest this:

Krr a horenit famä Lì'fyayä leNa'vi txarmula ngal, pefnetìngäzìk lu teri fwa fmi ngivop
   nìfya'o a slu lor tengkrr a lam na pumo akewong kop.
   When you were assembling the phonological rules of Na'vi, what kinds of challenges did you
   have regarding trying to have it sound beautiful as well as seem alien.

Phonological elements are just there, existing, so I think of coming up with the phonology more of an exercise like tinker-toys. That's why I put txula in up front. I do think that in the big picture of things it's a creation process, though, so I used ngop as well later in the primary clause.

The English here is not a literal translation, of course.

If you're uncomfortable with pumo, I think it could stand equally as well as 'uo.

Some might also want to put slu and lam into the subjunctive after nìfya'o a, but I don't feel it's necessary.

Amazing as usual, ma Prrton!

After a first read through that interesting question, I'll have to think about your alternative suggestions. I agree with you though, that pumo is definitely an interesting construction (and I am leaning towards `uo there).

I'll post later tonight when I have more time, and then hopefully start committing it to memory. I am finding that memorizing and repeating various Na`vi lines, phrases and texts helps a lot, and helps me remember what a lot of the less common words mean.

Yawey ngahu!

Prrton

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on June 17, 2011, 09:14:10 PM

Amazing as usual, ma Prrton!

After a first read through that interesting question, I'll have to think about your alternative suggestions. I agree with you though, that pumo is definitely an interesting construction (and I am leaning towards `uo there).

I'll post later tonight when I have more time, and then hopefully start committing it to memory. I am finding that memorizing and repeating various Na`vi lines, phrases and texts helps a lot, and helps me remember what a lot of the less common words mean.

Ke pxan.

If you want me to record it and send you and MP3, please let me know what you decide for the final wording.

I have a little time this weekend, but will be busy in NY all next week with work.

Tirea Aean

I would simply DIE (not literally) for a recording of this event, if that is legally possible.

ExLibrisMortis

Avatar nation will be inside with extensive recording equipment. So the capability to record such and event would definitely be available and I see no reason why it should not be legal as long as consent is given.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on June 17, 2011, 10:00:50 PM
Avatar nation will be inside with extensive recording equipment. So the capability to record such and event would definitely be available and I see no reason why it should not be legal as long as consent is given.

i was hoping that this would be the case. fantastic!

Prrton

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on June 17, 2011, 10:00:50 PM

Txur'Itan has been in touch with the Museum officially about recording things in the Museum. I suggest you contact him and see what his opinion is about getting permission.

'Oma Tirea

Amongst the nitpicking questions that I usually like to ask, here's a couple I found:
Pelun ke ngalmop li aylì'upam alahe leNa'via lì'fyayä?
Txo ngivop ngal faylì'upamit, sìketengpe livu?

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 18, 2011, 12:22:22 AM
Amongst the nitpicking questions that I usually like to ask, here's a couple I found:

Also, havn't you been wondering about intonations and such variations?

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 18, 2011, 12:29:29 AM

Also, havn't you been wondering about intonations and such variations?

Srane, but I'm not sure how fko would say intonation nìNa'vi.  I may have to say it in English.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Prrton

I don't think he will answer these. I'm happy to check with him, but this kind of thing may not make much sense to the general audience and he doesn't like being put on the spot about anything that might have something to do with the future of the franchise. Such discussion regarding another dialect might imply something that would start rumors about potential story lines in the future films. And if those rumors hit some kind of nerve and were attributed to something he said in a public venue like this, then... I can only imagine things that are politically very bad only.

What do you mean by "intonation"?

Part of the canonical story is K. Pawl's having asked Cameron in the very beginning if he liked a model that involved tone (à la Mandarin) and Cameron rejected it. that's why Na'vi has simple stressed/accented syllables (as opposed to formalized Sinitic-style tones or a pitch system like Japanese).

We also know that intonation alone cannot create a question.