Filming, Recording, Photography at the EMP Seattle Museum.

Started by Txur’Itan, July 01, 2011, 01:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txur’Itan

Filming, Recording, Photography at the EMP Seattle Museum.

Rules as provided by Kristen @emp.

----------

1) Recording, Photographing, and audio recording is not allowed of celebrities in the Galleries nor in the Panel discussions.

Panel Event

* Except for people with official press credentials and permission from Fox through EMP PR manager...  

** There is no personal use photography or video in the panels, same as was in June. Only press is allowed to take photos and video in the panel with proper clearing from our PR manager.

*** I am getting another confirmation on these details from Kristen, but those interested will have to inquire again at the museum to be certain.  Just prior to entering the June panels it was clearly announced prior to entering the Panel theater that recording and photography was not allowed.  Some persons managed to sneak some photos anyhow, but just so that person's are aware it is not allowed according to the Panel coordinator.  There will be Panel ushers, but I do not fully understand what they would do if they caught you breaking the rules, I think they may have you shut down the device, or ask you to leave.

**** This rule applies to Paul Frommer, and is consistent with the rules from the June meet up, where actors and Art Department cast/crew where at the Panel.  

***** You probably can take written notes.

2) Personal use Photography and Videography within the Galleries, is allowed.  

* Press is not allowed to photograph nor record nor videograph in the Galleries per the EMP agreement with Fox.

3) Taking pictures of Paul, I would suggest you try to get permission from him first.

EDIT: Kristen gave me further details that helped to explain things better.
私は太った男だ。

ExLibrisMortis

Just letting everyone know that Avatar Nation has applied for Press Status regarding this event and we are currently within contact with the Press Manager of EMP. Details will be revealed regarding our allowances as they are uncovered.

Alan

With regard to videoing or photographing at the EMP, they seemed ok with it in the exhibit and around the museum.  I was videoing just about everywhere!  The only place I did not was the panel discussions, of course.  In a way I'm glad that we couldn't as that meant I could actually take it all in and enjoy it!  Although the panel discussions were videoed by the museum (still don't know it they have been released :( ).

The only thing I heard the museum staff request and remind people of was to not use a flash when photographing in the exhibit and that was all.  I don't know if there were any other rules.  If there were then I'm sure they would have spoken to me!  But it is always worth checking to be on the safe side.

What ever happens you folks are going to have a wonderful time.  Just remember to tell us all about it...please  :D  Irayo.

Alan

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Alan on July 01, 2011, 02:44:18 PM
With regard to videoing or photographing at the EMP, they seemed ok with it in the exhibit and around the museum.  I was videoing just about everywhere!  The only place I did not was the panel discussions, of course.  In a way I'm glad that we couldn't as that meant I could actually take it all in and enjoy it!  Although the panel discussions were videoed by the museum (still don't know it they have been released :( ).

The only thing I heard the museum staff request and remind people of was to not use a flash when photographing in the exhibit and that was all.  I don't know if there were any other rules.  If there were then I'm sure they would have spoken to me!  But it is always worth checking to be on the safe side.

What ever happens you folks are going to have a wonderful time.  Just remember to tell us all about it...please  :D  Irayo.

Alan

Yes Alan, you are right to point that out.

I saw this while I was there also, I even got some video myself because of it.  This where things get a bit sticky.  I think that not everyone at the Museum was communicating to the people running the Galleries.  I asked Kristen to help further clarify things a bit more.

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on July 01, 2011, 01:42:11 PM
Just letting everyone know that Avatar Nation has applied for Press Status regarding this event and we are currently within contact with the Press Manager of EMP. Details will be revealed regarding our allowances as they are uncovered.

As I understand it, EMP has an agreement with Fox for the exhibits and the Panel.  And she Said Documentary filming and Press can not photograph or record in the Galleries, and only Press by special permission from Fox can Film and Record at the Panel Discussion. 

I am asking Kristen specifically about personal use Photography and Recording just to lock in the details about what is happening.
私は太った男だ。

judytuna

From the other thread on the panel:

Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 01, 2011, 10:40:44 AM
I'm not sure how relevant this is, but someone(s) should be takin written notes at this panel....

http://forum.learnnavi.org/seattle-meetup/filming-recording-photography-at-the-emp-seattle-museum/msg0/?topicseen#new

I think it would be cool to have a couple of people taking written notes. I'll be one of them (I'll bring my laptop). We can all compare afterwards =)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

This policy is very sad only, as there is a significant amount to be learned from this discussion, and taking notes will simply not be adequate. It is a bit different from the celebrity panels in that you are dealing with something that is in the process of being taught, rather than hearing about  'personalities of famous actors'.

I hope Avatar Nation can have success in getting permission to cover this significant event.

The other option is to get EMP to record it.

That also means that those of us who are the 'official event photographers' will not be able to do anything in this panel unless we get press credentials ourselves.  :'(

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Alan

You may find that the event will be videoed as that is what happened when we went to the panel discussions on the 4th June.  Unfortunately it seems that there has not been as release of that footage - meh! :(

I suppose folks could try and find out if the EMP are recording it and if not then 'offer' to do that for them  ;)  Hehehe...  Win-win!  If they are not and they won't let you ask if they could do it and then see if they could publish it on their website as an 'educational opportunity'....Hey, worth a try anyway.

Anyway I hope someone is able to video the meet up and post it so us unfortunate souls who can't make it can 'virtually' join you....please....Irayo.

Alan

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Alan on July 04, 2011, 01:39:25 PM
You may find that the event will be videoed as that is what happened when we went to the panel discussions on the 4th June.  Unfortunately it seems that there has not been as release of that footage - meh! :(

I will ask when or if they intend to release this recording of theirs, but I think they intend to have integrated into their exhibits, and possibly the museum archives for viewing there.

I suppose folks could try and find out if the EMP are recording it and if not then 'offer' to do that for them  ;)  Hehehe...  Win-win!  If they are not and they won't let you ask if they could do it and then see if they could publish it on their website as an 'educational opportunity'....Hey, worth a try anyway.

Ultimately the point of the museum is to have people pay to see the events there, that is what is driving them to comply with Fox.  Any efforts to manipulate around this arrangement is likely to be viewed as antagonistic by Kristen or the Curator, even if anyone manages to convince them to agree, I can only see them regretting it later based on what I know up-to this point. 

Anyway I hope someone is able to video the meet up and post it so us unfortunate souls who can't make it can 'virtually' join you....please....Irayo.

Alan

I will endeavor to capture as much as possible.  I am down a cameraman, and now am needing to push on a couple of back ups.

私は太った男だ。