Learn Na'vi > Sentences

Analyzing the "chat with you" sentence

(1/6) > >>

wisnij:
We have this sentence in the corpus:

Tsun oe ngahu nìNa'vi pivängkxo a fì’u oeru prrte' lu
It's a pleasure to be able to chat with you in Na'vi.

Because of its similarity to plltxe, I've been assuming that prrte' means "speak/chat".  However, I can't seem to build a sensible syntax tree out of the sentence in that case.  Now, there's no a priori reason why Na'vi should be built on tree structures like human languages typically are, but since we know the language is learnable by humans it must not violate any human language universals (assuming those exist... but that's another thread ;)).  It could also be that constructions of this form move the verb out of its normal position in the clause for some reason, somewhat akin to how English pulls relative pronouns out to the front ("The friend who I traveled with" == "The friend [I traveled with him]").

But looking at it again today, I realized it made more sense, at least to me, if was wrong before.  If pivängkxo is "chat" and prrte' is "pleasure/pleasing", then we could analyze it like this:

[[Tsun [oe ngahu nìNa'vi pivängkxo]] a fì’u] oeru prrte' lu
[[Able to [I chat with you in Na'vi]] fact] is pleasing to me

In this case, it seems like "X a fì'u" is effectively nominalizing the whole X clause, much as Japanese koto "thing" can do.  Or to build it up piece by piece:

*Oe ngahu nìNa'vi pivängkxo.
I chat with you in Na'vi.

*Tsun oe ngahu nìNa'vi pivängkxo.
I can chat with you in Na'vi.

*Tsun oe ngahu nìNa'vi pivängkxo.  Fì'u oeru prrte' lu.
I can chat with you in Na'vi.  This fact is pleasing to me.
(Fun fact: apparently the human language Pirahã exclusively expresses things this way, without any direct embedding.  At least according to some linguists.)

[Tsun oe ngahu nìNa'vi pivängkxo] a fì'u oeru prrte' lu
The fact that [I can chat with you in Na'vi] is pleasing to me.

Thoughts?

Brainiac:
I agree, except for the fact that the prrte'lu really does seem to refer to the speak...
If not, I competely agree.
I've been trying to use the syntax tree as well, but I was... less successful.
Irayo, ma lerteiu

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe:
hey hey look at the bottom of:
http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Na%27vi_Language

they said:
"Speak" is listed as pllte’. It is not clear if the word has been changed, or if prrte’ is an inflection of pllte’.

and in:
http://www.suburbandestiny.com/

they said:
plltxe is speak

I'm just trying to give some more resources for wisnij since she's not sure about those and I happen to be opening those links (which I do everyday now). I think those sites are pretty reliable, but I'm not sure myself.

wisnij:
I'm well aware that plltxe means "speak", as that's how Dr. Frommer used it in the Language Log post comments.  What we don't know is whether plltxe and prrte' are actually related despite their apparent similarity.  If there's a directly attested example of prrte' being used to mean "speak", please let me know.  I'm regarding the wikia site as uncertain because their glosses are even shakier than ours and there appear to be some transcription errors in the word list.

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe:
oh right... sorry for the misunderstanding then.
well I'll see if I can get any future references  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version