complex translation

Started by Kì'eyawn, February 09, 2010, 03:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuLekye'ung

Perhaps I am missing something again, but all I can get out of the second sentence is:

That which I you.with language.ACC Na'vi.ly learn.IMPF together I.DAT full make.do

That (Na'vi language?) which I am learning with you I fill ?

I'm not quite getting it, could you give me the English?

Irayo.
Txo *fìzìsìst*it oel ke lu, kxawm oel tutet lepamtseo lu.  Oe pxìm fpìl nìpamtseo, oel rey letrra ayunil oeyä nìpamtseo.

- Älpert Aynstayn

Kì'eyawn

Ngaru tsap'alute si oe, ma tsmukan.  I meant to put the thing in where you hover over it and it gives you a translation.  Here's what i was going for:

Fwa oe ngahu lì'fyat leNa'vi nerume 'awsiteng oeru teya si
Fwa oe nga-hu   lì'fya-t           le-Na'vi    n<er>ume  'awsiteng oe-ru teya si
That i  you-with language-ACC ADJ-Na'vi learn<PFV> together  i-DAT full   make
That i am learning the Na'vi language together with you *fills me

*The fwa="that" construction and the idiomatic teya si both come from here

Ngaru tsap'alute si nìmun oe, ma 'eylan.  Ideally, we're trying to lessen each other's confusion here, not add to it  :-[.  Eywa ngahu.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

AuLekye'ung

Irayo.

My confusion partly stems from the fact that everywhere I looked fwa was defined as "that which".

And then, what is filling you?  That is another point I was confused on.

Mostly that I was adding "which" caused my confusion.
Txo *fìzìsìst*it oel ke lu, kxawm oel tutet lepamtseo lu.  Oe pxìm fpìl nìpamtseo, oel rey letrra ayunil oeyä nìpamtseo.

- Älpert Aynstayn

Kì'eyawn

Yeah, somebody on that page i linked to came up with a pretty good explanation for why fwa in this case is just "that"--and, in any case, Karyu Pawl said it, so i believe =)

Edit: fixed my bolding issues
eo Eywa oe 'ia

AuLekye'ung

Ahah!  I combed over that post twice, looking for the teya si explanation, then noticed that it was the fourth line of the post.

Oe zene nari sivi, fte oe ke keyey sivi.

It's so silly that I've make these skxawng-worthy mistakes.  However, I've learned at least 5 or 6 huge concepts from this thread...

- Älpert Aynstayn

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Lekeye'unga Au on February 24, 2010, 04:21:46 PM
Ahah!  I combed over that post twice, looking for the teya si explanation, then noticed that it was the fourth line of the post.

Oe zene nari sivi, fte oe ke keyey sivi.

It's so silly that I've make these skxawng-worthy mistakes.  However, I've learned at least 5 or 6 huge concepts from this thread...

Oel ke fpìl futa nga skxawng lu.  We each have our individual strengths and weaknesses.  I'm still a flailing mess with my fwa/futa/a--i'd probably be just as accurate using them if i rolled dice to decide which one to throw in a sentence  :P

Eywa ngahu, ma tsmukan.
eo Eywa oe 'ia