Learn Na'vi > Sentences

Help me understand: "yawnyewla a lam fwa..."

(1/4) > >>

Kame Ayyo’koti:
Karyu Pawl posted a sentence that I'm struggling to understand the structure of:
Lu Tsenur yawnyewla a lam fwa Va’rul pot txìyìng.
Is to-Tsenu broken-heartedness which appears that Va’rul her will-leave.
Tsenu is broken hearted (lit. has broken-heartedness) that Va’ru appears to be about to dump her.

I know a "describes" things with relative clauses, and fwa nominalizes clauses.
What confuses me: Does «lam fwa Va’rul pot txìyìng» describe «yawnyewla», since a is there?

The only other way I can make sense of it is if a is similar to "because." Maybe it confuses me because I can't think of a way we would say a sentence structure like this in English.

I guess it makes sense to me if I think of it like this: The event/situation that "appears that Va’rul her will-leave" is something that her heartbreak is showing or telling her, or is metaphorically "what it looks like." Try thinking of it with the word "who" instead of "which." Phrases like "tutan a stä’nì fayoangit" make me think of «a lam fwa...» as something it's doing, if that makes any sense.

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong (or I'm just tired), I dunno... what are your thoughts about it?

Tìtstewan:
Lu Tsenur yawnyewla a lam fwa Va’rul pot txìyìng.
Tsenu has a broken hearth / broken-heartedness which appears that Va'ru will leave her.

The purple part describes the blue part (even the word yawnyewla). In a way, one could say, that a means "because" in this sentence as mentioned.

This is also possible:
Lu Tsenur yawnyewla a lam fì'u a Varul pot txìyìng
[Lu Tsenur yawnyewla] [a lam fì'u] [a Varul pot txìyìng]
[Tsenu has broken-heartedness] [which appears a thing] [that Varu will leave her.]

Purple part describes broken-heartedness, the navy part describes thing

Plumps:
Yup, that’s how I understand it.

In a way it’s kind of a Na’vi style because it works a bit different than English.

It’s all because of the structure of the “have” clause. If there was a Na’vi adjective for “broken-hearted” we would probably use taluna/taweyka in the instance of a. But since yawnyewla is a noun, it makes more ‘sense’ in a way to describe that noun further by a rather than taluna.

Maybe there is a difference in meaning? Perhaps a concentrates more on yawnyewla and taluna on the fact that she’s broken-hearted? Perhaps it doesn’t matter and is just a matter of style… who knows? ;)

Tìtstewan:
Hmm, I guess it has a different meaning.

Lu Tsenur yawnyewla taluna lam fwa Va’rul pot txìyìng.
OR
Lu Tsenur yawnyewla ta lun a lam fì'u a Va’rul pot txìyìng.
Tsenu has broken-heartedness from the reason that appears a thing that Varu will leave her.

This would imply one, that the fact that Va'ru will leave her, she has broken-heartedness which somehow does not fit well with lam fwa.
The following example would make more sense with taluna,

Lu Tsenur yawnyewla taluna Va’rul pot txìyìng.
Tsenu has broken-heartedness because (from the reason that) Varu will leave her.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä:
a constructions take a little getting used to, and I can't even pretend that I fully understand them.

That said, K. Pawl's example sentence makes good sense to me. The message here is it APPEARS that Vaʼru is leaving. Since lam is intransitive, you use the fwa subordinator particle rather than futa.

The taluna example makes perfect sense as well. But the most 'normal' way of saying this in Na
vi would be K. Pawl's example.

One of the hardest thing that a good Naʼv i speaker must do is learn to 'think like a Naʼvi'. I do not excel at it :( but it is very slowly getting better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version