Na'vi practice thread

Started by Vawm tsamsiyu, July 24, 2010, 09:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekirä

Quote from: Ftiafpi on November 17, 2010, 07:40:30 PM
Tsun tivam. I would make the following changes:

Tuteol zamunge oeru fìkxllit talun oe 'erefu ohakx!

I debated putting talun in, but wasn't sure if that was an appropriate use. :D Good to know!!!

Irayo nìtxan for both corrections. ;D

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Ekirä on November 17, 2010, 07:56:49 PM

I debated putting talun in, but wasn't sure if that was an appropriate use. :D Good to know!!!

I might go without talun(a) and the <er> in 'efu if you're trying to be stylistic ;D

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on November 17, 2010, 11:43:02 PM
Quote from: Ekirä on November 17, 2010, 07:56:49 PM

I might go without talun(a) and the <er> in 'efu if you're trying to be stylistic ;D
Yes, these are good ideas though. Though, for your personal reference ma Ekirä, they're not required. The main differences is talun = because (of this thing) and taluna = because of this thing which. So, it's a little more explanatory though you can leave off the (a) as implied if you ask me. As for the <er> infix, that turns 'efu = feel into 'erefu = feeling. So, "I'm hungry" vs "I'm feeling hungry". It all comes down to wither you want to be extremely precise or leave it ambiguous.

Ekirä

Irayo, I'll change it to taluna but I'd still like to keep the 'erefu. ;D

Vawm tsamsiyu

Idk were to ask this but
Can you use längu with vrrìn? I know vrrìn already has a negative connotation to it but can you say vrrìn längu to say you busy and very unhappy about it  ???
they killed the [you] tag

Plumps

Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on November 21, 2010, 10:16:17 PM
Idk were to ask this but
Can you use längu with vrrìn? I know vrrìn already has a negative connotation to it but can you say vrrìn längu to say you busy and very unhappy about it  ???

I don't see why not ... But be careful, vrrìn is a verb already, so it would be vrr‹äng›ìn => vrrängìn. Frommer used vrreiyìn in on of his latest blog entries, so if the speaker can feel good about being overwhelmed by work, it's logical to assume the same in the other direction. Could be seen as emphasis. Also, you don't have to speak about yourself.
Tìkangkemit pol veykrrängìn. The work overwhelmed him (and I feel bad about it, because now he doesn't have time for me)

Eyamsiyu

I hope you don't mind, but I need to make a post here so that I see it in my Updated Topics area.  That way, I will see it, and I will be motivated to try some sentences. :)

EDIT: I mean, I have motivation to learn.  But most of my learning is almost spontaneous... so yeah. :)

Nivume ko!

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Eyamsiyu

I did want to ask one more thing before I really got a move on: does it matter if the sentences "make sense?" 

I mean, the way I see it, if I pick certain words and put them together in a sentence, and it is grammatically correct, lenited correctly, infixes are placed in right spots, etc., what the sentence means doesn't matter, does it?

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

Lance R. Casey

To that I say: Opinluke a aysäfpìl aean hahaw nìsti! ;D

// Lance R. Casey

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on November 23, 2010, 05:50:15 AM
To that I say: Opinluke a aysäfpìl aean hahaw nìsti! ;D

XD That made my day.

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: Eyamsiyu te Atxkxeftukyal Mesuteteng'itan on November 23, 2010, 05:31:50 AM
I mean, the way I see it, if I pick certain words and put them together in a sentence, and it is grammatically correct, lenited correctly, infixes are placed in right spots, etc., what the sentence means doesn't matter, does it?

This is true if you simply wish to learn the grammatical rule by rote. The problem is that, in real languages (and hopefully, at some point with na'vi) pragmatics bends the grammar and syntax to allow the semantics to work. So at this stage of the language's development it's probably ok, but later on I think that pragmatics will start to become more important and so semantics will become more important.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Ataeghane

Quote from: Plumps on November 22, 2010, 02:57:51 AM
Idk were to ask this but

I don't see why not ... But be careful, vrrìn is a verb already, so it would be vrr‹äng›ìn => vrrängìn. Frommer used vrreiyìn in on of his latest blog entries, so if the speaker can feel good about being overwhelmed by work, it's logical to assume the same in the other direction. Could be seen as emphasis. Also, you don't have to speak about yourself.
Tìkangkemit pol veykrrängìn. The work overwhelmed him (and I feel bad about it, because now he doesn't have time for me)

How is that correct while vrrìn is intransitive?

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Plumps

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 29, 2010, 11:54:56 AM
Quote from: Plumps on November 22, 2010, 02:57:51 AM
Idk were to ask this but

How is that correct while vrrìn is intransitive?

... because the causative infix ‹eyk› changes an intransitive into a transitive verb. Think of latem (vin.) 'change' but leykatem (vtr.) 'change sth.'

zìsìkrr latem, 'the season changes'
    horenit uvanä oel leykatem, 'I change the rules of the game'

Ataeghane

Oh boy. I haven't notice that :-[.

But still, shouldn't this sentence look like that: Tìkangkemìl pot veykrrängìn?

Carborundum

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 30, 2010, 06:56:13 AM
Oh boy. I haven't notice that :-[.

But still, shouldn't this sentence look like that: Tìkangkemìl pot veykrrängìn?
It should indeed:
Quote from: Dr. FrommerHis work is still completely overwhelming him (and I'm glad).
Peyä tìkangkemìl mi veykrreiyìn pot nìwotx.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Plumps

*kxangangang* my bad, ngaytxoa

Ataeghane

moohug4

Here's me trying!
Oe yarun 'upe oe au.

I was trying to say I discovered what I was made of.  :'(
If I spell something wrong, correct me!

Alyara Arati

My first attempt, in words that I remember:

Txonam pamrel sami 'uoru nìNavi.  Fìtrr ke omum oel aylì'uti nìwotx.  Oe 'efu nìskxawng. :-[
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Alyara Arati on January 07, 2011, 07:39:18 PM
My first attempt, in words that I remember:

Txonam pamrel sami 'uoru nìNavi.  Fìtrr ke omum oel aylì'uti nìwotx.  Oe 'efu nìskxawng. :-[

That's good :) First two sentences seem completely correct ;) As for last one, I don't understand what you want say. And an adverb nìskxawng.. I'm not sure we may create it. But I can understand a meaning, I hope. Perhaps you mean Oe 'äpefu na skxawng - i.e. I feel like a moron.

Quote from: moohug4 on January 07, 2011, 05:36:03 PM
Here's me trying!
Oe yarun 'upe oe au.

I was trying to say I discovered what I was made of.  :'(

If I understand it correct, it should be

Oel rolun futa tsawfa oeti ngolop fkol.

But I can be mistaken...
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D