Na'vi practice thread

Started by Vawm tsamsiyu, July 24, 2010, 09:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sireayä mokri

I think tatep would be fine, since it's used in the sense of "have no longer".
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

amm it's not completely the same. in fact different IMO. but here it might work, I don't know.
Nivume Na'vit, fpivìl nìNa'vi, kivame na Na'vi.....
oer fko syaw tswusayona tsamsiyu

Sireayä mokri

They are different, but that's what Frommer said.

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on August 05, 2011, 07:56:41 AM
I think tatep would be fine, since it's used in the sense of "have no longer".
Quote from: Tswusayona Tsamsiyu on August 05, 2011, 10:52:48 AM
amm it's not completely the same. in fact different IMO. but here it might work, I don't know.

Quote from: Paul Frommer via Naviteri.org
Note: Don't confuse tatep and snaytx. They both mean 'lose,' but tatep is lose in the sense of 'have no longer.'

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on August 04, 2011, 09:08:35 PM
Here is another sentence along these lines, with a twist:

Fpamìl Oel futa Tewkiri lu  sìltsana taronyu a yerik sì talioang

1) why topic on Tewki?

2) attributing a noun with a list of two nouns doesn't make much sense. consider flexible word order. which is attributing to which?

Why not just say

Fpamìl Oel futa Tewkil taron yerikit sì talioangit nìltsan

"translate the meaning, not the words" :D

Quote from: Syulang on August 04, 2011, 09:57:15 PM
Oel makto hu oeya ikran ulte ayoeng tswayon 'awitseng. Ayoeng tswayon kxamlä ayutral ulte taw.

I had to use the dictionary for a few words, but other than that it was all good. now for the deluge of corrections  ;D ;D

as already stated above:

1)oe, not oel with makto in the absence of direct object. note that cases are done away with when you introduce a prepositional phrase to the clause. (ie use an adposition such as hu)

2)minor spelling: oeyä

3)moe instead of ayoeng is the "we" you would use if you are talking to someone about you and your ikran.

4)the difference between ulte and sì

5)makto ikranit instead of hu

> Oel makto oeyä ikranit ulte moe tswayon 'awitseng. (Moe) tswayon kxamlä ayutral sì taw.

Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on August 04, 2011, 10:39:47 PM
Ulte srake ayngari nìwotx olo'eyktanit ke tìlmatängep? Ulte ke tìyatep 'upet alahe krr a fìtseng aysawtute tätxängaw?

Wow. Actually, I find no fault in this version at all. seriously. Impressive. (only thing is, it has raised the question of the negative rhetorical. I don't see why not. Though I could be wrong.)

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 05, 2011, 02:35:34 PM
only thing is, it has raised the question of the negative rhetorical. I don't see why not. Though I could be wrong.

Seems fine to me as well.

Sngäiyu

i found this sentence somewhere on the forum and tried to translate it into Na'vi but i'm pretty sure there are still some errors in my translation so could someone try to correct me? :D

heres the sentence i found:
"yesterday i was hunting in the forest with Neytiri. there we killed a direhorse."

and here's my translation:
"trram oel tamaron hu Neytiri mi'naring. käsatseng moel tspamang pa'lit."

i'm sure there are more than 10 errors in it ;D

Blue Elf

I think there's not so much mistakes :) However, I'd translate sentence as:

Oe hu Neytiri tarmaron mì na'rìng trram. Tsatseng moel tspolang pa'lit.

In first sentence is no need for agentive marking as we do not say what we were hunting - there's not to be marked as patientive. In second sentence <ol> is used instead of <am>, as past was established in first sentence, so is not necessary to repeat it. Main mistake IMHO is that you killed the pa'li, Na'vi normally ride pa'li and hunt for ayyerik.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Blue Elf on August 25, 2011, 09:49:58 AM

In first sentence is no need for agentive marking as we do not say what we were hunting - there's not to be marked as patientive. In second sentence <ol> is used instead of <am>, as past was established in first sentence, so is not necessary to repeat it. Main mistake IMHO is that you killed the pa'li, Na'vi normally ride pa'li and hunt for ayyerik.

came here to say precisely all this.

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 25, 2011, 11:47:22 AM

:) me too. by the way, I think it would be good to put on tsatseng although there's no ambiguity. I'm not even sure it's correct without . perhaps Pawl said something about it...

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tswusayona Tsamsiyu on August 25, 2011, 02:39:57 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 25, 2011, 11:47:22 AM

:) me too. by the way, I think it would be good to put on tsatseng although there's no ambiguity. I'm not even sure it's correct without . perhaps Pawl said something about it...

Tsatseng is an adverb, it's fine how it is. I see no ambiguity.  ;) I'm not sure I have ever seen an example of *"mì satseng"

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 25, 2011, 03:35:38 PM
Tsatseng is an adverb, it's fine how it is. I see no ambiguity.  ;) I'm not sure I have ever seen an example of *"mì satseng"

Mì satseng also is possible and it means literally "in that place". But I think it's better to use just an adverb tsatseng - "there" :)
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kemaweyan on August 25, 2011, 03:39:16 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 25, 2011, 03:35:38 PM

Mì satseng also is possible and it means literally "in that place". But I think it's better to use just an adverb tsatseng - "there" :)

I can agree with this. I wasnt trying to say that "mì satseng" is impossible, but to say mainly that it is fine being alone, used as an adverb instead of a noun with a demonstrative prefix. the same can be said of tsakrr. You really dont see *" ro sakrr..." to say "at that time".

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 25, 2011, 03:46:28 PM
I can agree with this. I wasnt trying to say that "mì satseng" is impossible, but to say mainly that it is fine being alone, used as an adverb instead of a noun with a demonstrative prefix. the same can be said of tsakrr. You really dont see *" ro sakrr..." to say "at that time".

Yeah.. But sometimes we need to use tsatseng as a noun, for example with tok:

Oel tok tsatsengit.
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 05, 2011, 02:35:34 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on August 04, 2011, 09:08:35 PM
Here is another sentence along these lines, with a twist:

Fpamìl Oel futa Tewkiri lu  sìltsana taronyu a yerik sì talioang

1) why topic on Tewki?

Just getting back to this after a rather busy month!
In looking at the history of this instant discussion, I cannot figure out why I chose a topical construction here. It might have been an attempt to carry over a 'feeling' from the original sentence that this was a discussion about Tewki's hunting prowess. In retrospect, I see wht that doesn't work well.

Quote from: Tirea Aean
2) attributing a noun with a list of two nouns doesn't make much sense. consider flexible word order. which is attributing to which?

My thought here is that I was essentially creating an adjective by attribution, and the adjective is a list of species that Tewki is good at hunting.

Quote from: Tirea Aean
Why not just say

Fpamìl Oel futa Tewkil taron yerikit sì talioangit nìltsan

That works, too. It is just not as nicely 'compartmentalized' as the example I made.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

what do you mean my 'compartmentalized'? and I am not 100% sure if what you said was grammatical or not. It would be great to see a canon example to answer that question.

I get that you are trying to say

I thought Tewkì is a good yerik and talioang hunter.

I'm just not sure if this can be directly translated or needs to be changed like I changed it.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 26, 2011, 07:33:18 AM
what do you mean my 'compartmentalized'? and I am not 100% sure if what you said was grammatical or not. It would be great to see a canon example to answer that question.

I'm just not sure if this can be directly translated or needs to be changed like I changed it.
What about:

Fpamìl oel futa Tewki lu sìltsana taronyu ayyerikä sì salioangä ?

I thought Tewkì is a good hunter of hexapedes and sturmbeasts. But I'm not sure, if genitive can be used this way here.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Blue Elf on August 26, 2011, 07:45:47 AM

What about:

I thought Tewkì is a good hunter of hexapedes and sturmbeasts. But I'm not sure, if genitive can be used this way here.

I actually considered that very sentence, and the genitive here doesn't appear to be incorrect :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on August 26, 2011, 07:48:02 AM
Quote from: Blue Elf on August 26, 2011, 07:45:47 AM

What about:

I actually considered that very sentence, and the genitive here doesn't appear to be incorrect :)

came to say this. ninja'd.