Na'vi practice thread

Started by Vawm tsamsiyu, July 24, 2010, 09:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyara Arati

I started this thread http://forum.learnnavi.org/beginners/pivangkxo-ninavi-ko!-beginner-navi-chat-thread/ because the one we're writing in now had not been used in over a year, and kind of "got lost" in Sentences.  I felt that a thread such as this would better fit and receive more exposure in the Beginner Section.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 18, 2013, 12:21:19 PM
I forgot completely about the existence of this thread.
No wonder, this thread is placed in a rarely visited board.

What's the difference, and why two threads? ??? :-\
If I read some older posts, it is really similar with the new thread in the /beginners.

DOUBLE EDIT: 7700 posts. :D
Seykxel nìtramsì! :D

---edit---
Quote from: Alyara Arati on October 18, 2013, 12:31:16 PM
I started this thread http://forum.learnnavi.org/beginners/pivangkxo-ninavi-ko!-beginner-navi-chat-thread/ because the one we're writing in now had not been used in over a year, and kind of "got lost" in Sentences.  I felt that a thread such as this would better fit and receive more exposure in the Beginner Section.
This.
So, we have a newer version. What would happend with this *old* thread?

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

Ma Alyara, I wasn't questioning the new thread, but this old one.

Indeed it is stuffed away in this rarely-visited board.

I guess this thread may fade away in dignity while the conversation and practice continues in the newer thread in /beginners. :)

Blue Elf

And looking back at OP, this looks identical in every way to this thread:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/beginners/pivangkxo-ninavi-ko!-beginner-navi-chat-thread/

Not identical IMHO.
First one is for complete beginners, this one was probably intended for more experienced people. However, seems such people are experienced enough to not use this thread (they can also use Nian subforum, which is unfortunately dead a little). Low interest everywhere...

QuoteTse, fìkìng letsranten talmerkup mawkrra tìpängkxo ahìm lì'uteri alu nìyawr.
Nìteng, fìking steng lu na fìkìng alu Pivängkxo nìNa'vi Ko, kefyak?
(Oel may' zamivunge tìreyt fìtseng.)
I would use ahì'i there (or tìpängkxotsyìp?)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Blue Elf on October 18, 2013, 02:19:11 PM
QuoteTse, fìkìng letsranten talmerkup mawkrra tìpängkxo ahìm lì'uteri alu nìyawr.
hì'i is more for sizes, I think.

And I wrote fìkìng correct. ;)
..and may' is transitive as well as zamunge

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Plumps

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 18, 2013, 02:25:08 PMhì'i is more for sizes, I think.
... and for countable things, hìm for uncountable or mass nouns which tìpängkxo is not ;) I'd also use hì'i.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 18, 2013, 02:25:08 PM

Modal syntax.

And looking back at OP, this looks identical in every way to this thread:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/beginners/pivangkxo-ninavi-ko!-beginner-navi-chat-thread/

Not identical IMHO.
First one is for complete beginners, this one was probably intended for more experienced people. However, seems such people are experienced enough to not use this thread (they can also use Nian subforum, which is unfortunately dead a little). Low interest everywhere...

Ohh.. I see. hmmm

Quote from: Plumps on October 18, 2013, 02:29:27 PM
Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 18, 2013, 02:25:08 PMhì'i is more for sizes, I think.
... and for countable things, hìm for uncountable or mass nouns which tìpängkxo is not ;) I'd also use hì'i.

I'd disagree. You're thinking about hol for countables.

NUMBER:

Hol - few
Pxay - many

AMOUNT:

hìm - a little / little
txan - a lot / much

SIZE:

hì'i - small
apxa - large
tsawl - tall/large (for stature? I've always kinda thought about apxa vs tsawl)

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 18, 2013, 02:25:08 PM
hì'i is more for sizes, I think.
It is, but can be conversation small in quantity? It sounds strange.

QuoteAnd I wrote fìkìng correct. ;)
You did, but not here:
QuoteNìteng, fìking steng lu na fìkìng
I marked wrong word. Oh yeah.
I mean modal syntax..... but ninjad.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 18, 2013, 02:31:23 PM
SIZE:

hì'i - small
apxa - large
tsawl - tall/large (for stature? I've always kinda thought about apxa vs tsawl)
I always thought that tsawl is for living things and apxa for others, but I have no source for this information. I think I was told this by someone

Tìtstewan

I'm confused...

About the modal thing:

So, that I understand it:
If a modal verb controlling an other verb, the subject don't get any endings (no -l)
If a modal verb don't controlling an other verb, the subject get -l?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 18, 2013, 02:40:04 PM
I'm confused...

About the modal thing:

So, that I understand it:
If a modal verb controlling an other verb, the subject don't get any endings (no -l)
If a modal verb don't controlling an other verb, the subject get -l?

modal syntax examples, as a non-tl;dr explanation:

oe new tivìng tsat ngar
I want to give that to you.

new is a vtrm. It may either use modal syntax copying tsun, OR it can be a normal vtr. like this:

oel new tsat.
I want that.

But these don't get combined to this:

*oel new tivìng ngar tsat
*I want to give you that.

And this is only when the subject of the vtrm. is the same as the controlled verb's. For different, use futa.

oel new futa ngal tivaron yerikit oefpi.
I want you to hunt a hexapede for me.

Here, new is actually just like as a standard vtr. like fpìl. (except when using a modal, you put <iv> in the second verb)

EDITS.

Plumps

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 18, 2013, 02:31:23 PM
I'd disagree. You're thinking about hol for countables.

D'oh! Ngaru tìyawr kezemplltxe ;)

Yeah, I always thought of apxa as also be used for abstract things. We have tsray apxa in the Txewì listening exercise but also skxawng apxa in the GMA recordings.

K. Pawl used tìpängkxotsyìp for 'little dialogue' on the 101 Seattle hand out.

About the modals...
Rule of thumb, no L ending with modals unless the subject of the subordinate clause changes (which is only possible with new, nulnew, sto, and kan, tì'omummì oeyä)

So,

New oe kivä. 'I want to go.'
     New oe ayramit alusìng tsive'a. 'I want to see the Flying Mountains'
New oel futa nga kivä. 'I want you to go'
     New oel futa ngal ayramit alusìng tsive'a. 'I want you to see the Flying Mountains.'

Ninja'd ;D

Tìtstewan

Irayo mesmuk! :)

This
Quoteoel new tsat.
I want that.
and this
Quoteoel new futa ngal tivaron yerikit oefpi.
I know. :)

I was confusing with "no -l at subj. thing" with the modal verbs ala zene ziva'u etc....

----
Sooooo, ahìm was correct? ???

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 18, 2013, 02:58:00 PM
Irayo mesmuk! :)

This
Quoteoel new tsat.
I want that.
and this
Quoteoel new futa ngal tivaron yerikit oefpi.
I know. :)

This is the vtr part of vtrm.

I was confusing with "no -l at subj. thing" with the modal verbs ala zene ziva'u etc....

This is the m part of vtrm. This makes it act the same as vim. so basically, all modals act the same, regardless of their transitivity. :)

It depends. I think your meaning was a small chat. Maybe hì'i would be the word to use here. Was it small in size, that is, it was a short or light/smalltalk conversation? A few chats or small number of them, use hol. Since conversations are countable (I had 5 conversations with someone about this; he and I have spoken about this 5 times.), I don't think hìm/txan are compatible with tìpängkxo. EDIT: Could I be wrong about this? Do the Na'vi consider chat/conversation as a countable thing? Or is it amount of chatter?

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 18, 2013, 03:02:33 PM

It depends. I think your meaning was a small chat. Maybe hì'i would be the word to use here. Was it small in size, that is, it was a short or light/smalltalk conversation? A few chats or small number of them, use hol. Since conversations are countable (I had 5 conversations with someone about this; he and I have spoken about this 5 times.), I don't think hìm/txan are compatible with tìpängkxo. EDIT: Could I be wrong about this? Do the Na'vi consider chat/conversation as a countable thing? Or is it amount of chatter?
The compatibility of hìm/txan with tìpängkxo depends of the countability of the noun, kefyak? I translated it from German of course, and "diskussion" is countable (in English as well), so I thought, it would be countable in Na'vi as well.

Have we any source to see if tìpängkxo is countable or not?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 18, 2013, 03:11:16 PM
Have we any source to see if tìpängkxo is countable or not?

I don't think so. Or at least I don't remember ever seeing Pawl use a plural with it or use it with any of the above adjectives. So it's completely unknown to me. (Unless maybe someone like Plumps, who seems to have links to EVERYTHING, has seen such a reference? :) )

Tìtstewan

I only found this:
Quote from: Na'vi Writing Contest—the First Place Winners!Nìawnomum, lora lì'fya leNa'vi ke tsivun livu luke txantsana rel arusikx TseymsìKameronä.
Fìrel eltur tìtxen sarmi ulte var, ngian aysuteori lì'fya sarmi nì'ul. Pxaya stawnarsìma tute lenomum sngolä'i nìwin pivängkxo teri lì'fya sìreysì Na'viyä.
Fwarmew nìno fo ulte frafya'oti sìpängkxoä eana fayswiräyä atsawl ftivia fmarmi.
I'm not sure about but...

Plumps

Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 18, 2013, 03:14:13 PMI don't think so. Or at least I don't remember ever seeing Pawl use a plural with it or use it with any of the above adjectives. So it's completely unknown to me. (Unless maybe someone like Plumps, who seems to have links to EVERYTHING, has seen such a reference? :) )

Ke pxan :-[
I don't have a link to everything ;)

The only thing I've got is this from the intro speech for the 101 in Seattle
Tafral holawl ayoel ayngafpi 'a'awa tìpängkxotsyìpit a tsun fko sivar mì sìrey letrrtrr.
That looks countable to me :-\

Tirea Aean

That does it. Countable. :) (Plumps does it again ;D totally pxan.)

Tìtstewan

On Na'viteri was also hidden plural of tìpängkxo, ma Tirea. ;)