Learn Na'vi > Sentences

Not easy to translate/understand sentences

(1/15) > >>

Blue Elf:
This thread is dedicated to sentences - both in English/Na'vi, which are not easy to translate into second language/understand. Goal is to help beginners to see how to translate/understand sentences, where we are missing words, language constructions etc.
Just post your sentence (and if you want, also your attempt to translate), more experienced people try to deal with them :)

I found my first candidate in Elfenlicht (Winter of the Elves) by Bernhard Hennen, chapter Last words:
Who searches for truth, incurs the danger of finding/ that he'll find something he didn't want to know at all
(translated from Czech version: Kdo hledá pravdu, vystavuje se nebezpečí, že zjistí něco, co vůbec nechtěl vědět.)

We are missing phrase "to incur the danger", but doesn't it mean we can't translate this interesting and wise statement? Really no, with some rewording it isn't so hard. We can say things like "Fìkem alu X lu lehrrap" -> Action by other words X is dangerous (Action of X is dangerous)
"Fwa fkol run tìngayit lu lehrrap" -> It's dangerous that one searches truth (lit. That one searches truth is dangerous).
Other parts are quite easy to translates, so what can be final results?

Suteri a fwew tìngayit fketok hrrap a pol rayun 'uot a ke nolew ivomum kaw'it.
Regarding person which searches truth there's danger that (which is that) he'll find something he didn't want to know at all.

Fwa fkol fwew tìngayit lu lehrrap taluna tsun rivun 'uot a ke nolew ivomum kaw'it.
That one searches truth is dangerous because can find something he didn't want to know at all.

I don't want to go into grammar, just to show how hard statement can be simplified to be translatable, but if you have any question, simply ask. Now you can think about other not-easy sentences :)

Tìtstewan:
So, a thread to show how one could translate sentences from language A to B?

Well, I have one, I wanted to translate, but there are some little problems...and it is difficult, but not impossible.

EN: And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.
DE: Und er bürdete dem Buckel des weißen Wals die Summe der Wut und des Hasses der ganzen Menschheit auf. Wäre sein Leib eine Kanone, er hätte sein Herz auf ihn geschossen.
[Star Trek; Captain Jean-Luc Picard quoting: "Moby Dick"]

Ulte poanìl yamem payoangä txalsìn ateyr fratìve'kìt sì fratìkawngit a 'olefu 'änsyema pongu. Zun peyä tokx lilvu tsko, zel poanìl sneyä txe’lanur teykilvoltem pot.
And he placed on the white back of the water animal all the hatred and all the evil which the whole group of people felt. If his body had been a bow, he would have caused his heart to shoot it.

whale -> fish, water animal (payoang)
cannon -> bow (tsko)

[corrections are welcome :)]

Plumps:
Tewti,  :o are you sure this thread is in the right section?  8) Looks like this could get complicated rather quickly…

--- Quote from: Tìtstewan on June 16, 2014, 04:01:40 pm ---EN: And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.
DE: Und er bürdete dem Buckel des weißen Wals die Summe der Wut und des Hasses der ganzen Menschheit auf. Wäre sein Leib eine Kanone, er hätte sein Herz auf ihn geschossen.
[Star Trek; Captain Jean-Luc Picard quoting: "Moby Dick"]

Ulte poanìl stamarsìm payoangä txalur ateyr fratìve'kìt sì fratìkawngit a 'olefu 'änsyema pongu. Zel peyä tokx lilvu tsko, zun peyä txe'lan tilvem por.
And he collected to the white back of the water animal all the hatred and all the evil which the whole group of people felt. If his body had been a bow, his heart would have shot him.
--- End quote ---

First off, great scene!  8)

Maybe instead of starsìm, yem could suffice ???
txalur seems odd to me. Either txalsìn or txalne.

zun and zel need to be switched ;)
Just a little suggestion… “he would have shot his heart upon it” (er hätte sein Herz auf ihn geschossen). I’d translate that as
     … zel (poanìl) (sneyä) txe’lanur teykilvoltem pot
     (… zel (pan-ìl) (sne-yä) txe’lan-ur t‹eyk›‹i‹l›v›oltem po-t)
     “… he would have caused his heart to shoot it (the whale).”

Tìtstewan:

--- Quote from: Plumps on June 16, 2014, 05:23:49 pm ---Tewti,  :o are you sure this thread is in the right section?  8) Looks like this could get complicated rather quickly…
--- End quote ---
I also thought that as I saw this thread. But it would show the beginners, that difficult sentences are - in some ways - possible to translate. Of course, this wouldn't look "beginner friendly", but I think, they should know about this stuff too. If we would move this thread to the /Intermediate or /Sentences, rather a very few number of beginners would see that. This whole stuff is also interesting, imo. :) (I would also make this thread sticky. :))

--- Quote from: Plumps on June 16, 2014, 05:23:49 pm ---First off, great scene!  8)
--- End quote ---
Yay! :D

--- Quote from: Plumps on June 16, 2014, 05:23:49 pm ---Maybe instead of starsìm, yem could suffice ???
txalur seems odd to me. Either txalsìn or txalne.
--- End quote ---
Usually, it's the dative case there, but I like the idea with txalsìn, especially in combination with yem. :) I'm going to add it!

--- Quote from: Plumps on June 16, 2014, 05:23:49 pm ---
zun and zel need to be switched ;)
Just a little suggestion… “he would have shot his heart upon it” (er hätte sein Herz auf ihn geschossen). I’d translate that as
     … zel (poanìl) (sneyä) txe’lanur teykilvoltem pot
     (… zel (pan-ìl) (sne-yä) txe’lan-ur t‹eyk›‹i‹l›v›oltem po-t)
     “… he would have caused his heart to shoot it (the whale).”
--- End quote ---
Argh... Oe lu kakrela skxawng... Now that with the wrong placed zun/zel is embarrassing. :-[ (fixed)
As for the suggestion, added! :D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä:
Great idea, but I think as well, it might belong in intermediate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version