Please Correct

Started by guest2859, May 14, 2010, 11:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest2859

Okay, there has to be something wrong with this, because it's the longest thing I've said without using 'lu' 50mil+ times. So, if nothing is wrong with it, then something's wrong with me:

Fì'u lì'fya txa' lu. Oe säfpìl kehe omum fyape fayaylì'u tìkangkem. Nga Ayli'uä Fwewyu sar taluna fì'u terìkangkem.

NeotrekkerZ

I'm seeing some errors, but I won't be able to correct them without what you meant to say in English. 

1.  This language is fili'fya in your first sentence, unless you were trying for "This (thing) is a hard language."
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

guest2859

"This (thing) is a hard language." Is what I was shooting for.

So, I think I typed:

This is a hard language. I have no idea how it works. Use the word finder because it works.

Carborundum

Quote from: Ean Ikran on May 15, 2010, 10:10:59 AMThis is a hard language.
As Neo said, in Na'vi one would use fili'fya instead of fi'u li'fya. Also, txa' is just given as "hard", with no further information on whether that's hard as in firm or hard as in difficult, or both. My intuition tells me it's only hard as in firm, so I wouldn't use it here.
QuoteI have no idea how it works.
"I have no idea" is an idiom. In Na'vi one would simply say "I don't know how it works", or maybe use another idiom that we don't have yet. Pefya is also problematic, because the -pe+ affix can only be used in questions. Finally, tìkangkem is a noun.
This is a pretty tricky sentence. Possibly ke omum oel fyatì a sar fkol, "I don't know the way one uses it".
QuoteUse the word finder because it works.
What's the nga doing in there? Fi'u is "this". What you want is "it", which is tsaw (tsa'u). However, you don't need it, because Na'vi is extremely economic with pronouns once they have been established. And again, tìkangkem is a noun (and even if it wasn't, no imperfective would be needed). I'm not sure tìkangkem si would be appropriate either, what we want is pretty much either the verb "function", or the adjective "functioning", neither of which we have.

In short, I recommend you to read Neo's excellent Na'vi in a nutshell, and check out the Na'vi expressions and idioms thread.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

guest2859

Funny story behind that. I have all the major guides, but my computer slows too much when I have them open, and I'm out of printer ink.

But thanks for the corrections.

'eylan na'viyä

Quote from: Ean Ikran on May 15, 2010, 10:16:08 PM
Funny story behind that. I have all the major guides, but my computer slows too much when I have them open, and I'm out of printer ink.

But thanks for the corrections.

i assume you use adobe reader.
you can use foxit reader  instead.
it is much faster and uses less recourses.