Request clarification of dictionary confusion...

Started by Olo'pizayu, June 05, 2010, 06:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olo'pizayu

I am working on the rather overambitious project of translating the Torah into Na'vi for a project for school. Unfortunately, I've hit a snag: While apparently the language has a word for 'fruit,' it's unclear which of two words it is, since the two words in question appear in only two phrases and nowhere else in the dictionary. On page 20 of the Na'vi-English Dictionary (obviously by Taronyu) the right-hand side of the flora section lists "utral utu mauti" as "push fruit tree" and "utu mauti" as both banana fruit and push fruit. What I'd like to know for the purposes of my translation is whether 'utu' or 'mauti' is considered the 'fruit' portion of 'push fruit' or if the two words are an intended combination (as with postpositional verb-deriving affix Si) with no meaning when separate.
I enjoy this language. It means I can curse at people in it and they don't know what I'm saying. Of course, they often figure it out purely from the tone of what I say, but that's another problem.

kewnya txamew'itan

We've no way of knowing.

That might get retconned too, a fair bit of the ASG has (although that's mainly illegal words).
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

We don't even know if push fruit is a literal translation or just the name given to it by the humans.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Olo'pizayu

So is there any way of forming a word for 'fruit?' Or am I doomed to skip the Garden of Eden as a whole during translation?
I enjoy this language. It means I can curse at people in it and they don't know what I'm saying. Of course, they often figure it out purely from the tone of what I say, but that's another problem.

Ftiafpi

We have a word for vegetable (food from a plant). You could simply say a vegetable from a tree or something.

P.S. Moved

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

you could just put fruit in quotes while translating then just go in and replace when we have a word for it.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Since the Torah is part of the Bible, this may be of interest, from the Na`vi Bible translation project. We are proposing using curly braces {} around words that cannot currently be translated, or proper names (until we get an expert in Hebrew or Greek to give us an appropriate translation).

The Bible-into-Na`vi project has been stalled by a lot of unforeseen circumstances, but is definitely still alive.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Olo'pizayu

I've settled on a combination of the words for 'food' and 'plant,' giving "syuve'ewll," if I've got the elision right.

And I originally started the translation because I found the Bible-Into-Na'vi project thread. I've got through Genesis 1:10 in Na'vi and English notes on translations for the verses through Genesis 1:24 and the first part of 1:25. (To clarify, I've got Genesis 1:11 written down in my notebook as "And God speak-PAST, Allow grass(lit. leaf-plant) grow from among ground, herb(lit. doctor-plant) which gives seed, and fruit(lit. food-plant) tree give fruit(lit. food-plant) like-it-GEN kind, that inside-it-GEN body is it-GEN seed, onto-ground: and this(thing) is-PAST (this way).")