...so ADJ that...

Started by Ataeghane, January 15, 2011, 05:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ataeghane

How to transtale:

I am so awesome that if I were more I would explode.

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ataeghane on January 15, 2011, 05:48:37 PM
How to transtale:

I am so awesome that if I were more I would explode.

Great question.

So far, i have just been using a comma. wouldnt it be weird and awesome it tsnì could be used for this purpose? we just do not know.

Lu oe fìtxan txantsan tsnì txo livu oe fìhìmtxanto tsakrr pxivor oe.

again, to use tsnì like that is NOT defined or approved in any way. otherwise, I have been just leavin that word out and just use a comma or slight pause.

That's just my best guess at this point. ;)

Nyx

Just a suggestion: if you'd rephrase it as

Txo txantsan livu oe fìhìmtxanto tsakrr pxivor oe. Fìtxan txantsan lu oe.
If I were more awesome than this I would explode. I'm that awesome

maybe the "fìtxan" somehow points back at what you just said? And maybe you could skip the last part entirely. I admit it lacks the punch but it seems to get around the problem. Yesno?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Nyx on January 15, 2011, 06:09:57 PM
Just a suggestion: if you'd rephrase it as

Txo txantsan livu oe fìhìmtxanto tsakrr pxivor oe. Fìtxan txantsan lu oe.
If I were more awesome than this I would explode. I'm that awesome

maybe the "fìtxan" somehow points back at what you just said? And maybe you could skip the last part entirely. I admit it lacks the punch but it seems to get around the problem. Yesno?

nice way to dodge the "that" ;D

Ataeghane

Well, first, I just realised we don't know 2nd Conditional Sentences at all. We know 1st Conditional (If I do, I will be), but not 2nd (If I did, I would be), nor 3rd (If I had done, I would have been - I guess this one looks like 2nd in Na'vi, but with past tenses, but that's just guess). But even if we used constructions suggested by you, what about:

Oe lu txantsan fìtxan a txo livu nì'ul, pxivor.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ataeghane on January 15, 2011, 06:23:11 PM
Well, first, I just realised we don't know 2nd Conditional Sentences at all. We know 1st Conditional (If I do, I will be), but not 2nd (If I did, I would be), nor 3rd (If I had done, I would have been - I guess this one looks like 2nd in Na'vi, but with past tenses, but that's just guess). But even if we used constructions suggested by you, what about:

at the workshop someone proposed to Paul that we use a new pair of words for this so called 2nd conditional.

IIRC was zun....zel for some kind of alternate if...then for this kind of thing when txo...tsakrr doesnt work... but no news of the validity of this has come...

Kemaweyan

Well, my effort:

Oe lu nìftxan txantsan na fwa pxivor oe txo slivu nì'ul.
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

wm.annis

What we need here is what old-fashioned grammars would call a result clause, "I got a cold, so I couldn't go to the movie."  We don't have a clear statement on that from Frommer.  I'm not sure anyone's asked.

Oe lu fìtxan txantsan; ha(?) tafral pìyevor...

Plumps

Don't forget the x in eXplode ;) => pxìyevor

Ataeghane

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 15, 2011, 06:26:04 PM
Quote from: Ataeghane on January 15, 2011, 06:23:11 PM

at the workshop someone proposed to Paul that we use a new pair of words for this so called 2nd conditional.

IIRC was zun....zel for some kind of alternate if...then for this kind of thing when txo...tsakrr doesnt work... but no news of the validity of this has come...
Sounds nice... If only Karyu could develop the language a bit more.

QuoteWell, my effort:

Oe lu nìftxan txantsan na fwa pxivor oe txo slivu nì'ul.
Quite logical, but don't we use nìftxan for comparing people?

QuoteWhat we need here is what old-fashioned grammars would call a result clause, "I got a cold, so I couldn't go to the movie."  We don't have a clear statement on that from Frommer.  I'm not sure anyone's asked.

Oe lu fìtxan txantsan; ha(?) tafral pìyevor...
What's the basic diffrence between ha and tafral?

BTW, can we use a after not-nouns?

wm.annis

Quote from: Ataeghane on January 16, 2011, 04:39:15 AMWhat's the basic diffrence between ha and tafral?

I think ha is more related to sequencing, and, given its etymology, tafral relates more to reasons.

QuoteBTW, can we use a after not-nouns?

Except for the nì{fya'o a ADJ} idiom, we've never seen a except with nouns or pronouns.

The more time I've had to think about it, the more I like simple asyndeton for this, Tirea Aean's first suggestion.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

wm.annis

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 17, 2011, 03:46:04 AM
asyndeton  ???

From the Greek:
  a- : "without, lacking"
  syn- : "together", like prefix "con-, com-" for Latinate words
  -de(t)- : "bind"

As a technical grammar and rhetorical term, when phrases are joined together without some conjunction.  The most famous example in Latin is "veni, vidi, vici," "I came, I saw, I conquered."