"Vision of you"

Started by Reiey fpi Sìtaron, August 27, 2013, 04:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reiey fpi Sìtaron

For a poem I'm writing, I need the translation of "vision of you".

I have äie for "vision (spiritual)", however I'm not sure how to translate "of you". Would I use the normal genitive (ngeyä), or is there another construction? It seems to me that äie ngeyä would mean "your vision" rather than "vision of you".

Perhaps äie ngateri ("vision about/concerning you") would be better?

Irayo nìtxan,

Reiey fpi Sìtaron

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì!

Well, I think äie ngeyä "vision of you", "your vision" should be ok. I don't know the complete context about your poem, so äie ngateri "vision about you" would be also not bad. It's depend, what text you want to translate.
Just an example:
Oel kulat ngaru äieti ngeyä.
I reveal you a vision of you.

or
Lu oeru äie a ngateri.
I have a vision about you.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Plumps

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 27, 2013, 04:57:05 AMJust an example:
Oel kulat ngaru äiet(i) ngeyä.
I reveal you a vision of you.

or
Lu oeru äie a ngateri.
I have a vision about you.
In this context I would translate ngeyä always as 'your' :-\

ngateri/teri nga is definitely an option, ngata/ta nga is also possible.
Remember that you have to insert a when you want to describe a noun closer by a prepositional phrase (= ngateri/ngata) – which is short for 'I have a vision (that is) about you'

Alyara Arati

Would ngata/ta nga not mean vision from you, as in you are the source of my vision?

I would go with ngateri/teri nga.  Or topical: ngari oer lu äieRegarding you, I have a vision.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tìtstewan

Fixed!
Damn, I always forgot this "a". ::)

Quote from: Plumps on August 27, 2013, 07:03:36 AM
In this context I would translate ngeyä always as 'your' :-\
This.
Me too, hence I would use that with ngateri.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Alyara Arati on August 27, 2013, 07:15:17 AM
Would ngata/ta nga not mean vision from you, as in you are the source of my vision?
???
Do you can write an example, which use it, please?

Alyara Arati

Txonam lolu oeru unil alu äie a ta nga, stum na tsaheylu, hufwa nga lìm nìtxan.  Ngari menarifa tsolun oe tsive'a txampayti.

Last night I had a dream, a vision from you, almost like tsaheylu, although you are far away.  I could see the ocean with your eyes.

Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tìtstewan

Oh, Irayo! Fì'u! :D
In this context, of course, it works great.

Reiey fpi Sìtaron

Quote from: Alyara Arati on August 27, 2013, 07:32:04 AM
Txonam lolu oeru unil alu äie a ta nga, stum na tsaheylu, hufwa nga lìm nìtxan.  Ngari menarifa tsolun oe tsive'a txampayti.

Last night I had a dream, a vision from you, almost like tsaheylu, although you are far away.  I could see the ocean with your eyes.

That example is actually quite close to the theme of the poem (someone "talking" to their twin flame / soul mate / love from a past life, whom they've only ever seen in dreams or visions).

The context of the sentence is "may I lose myself in a vision of you", for which I have "oe '<ìyev>i<ei>a mì [a vision of/from you]".

Irayo

Plumps

Quote from: Alyara Arati on August 27, 2013, 07:15:17 AM

That's right ;) Aren't languages fantastic? ;D ;D ;D

Ma Reiey,
then you can decide which meaning your translation/poem will take ;)

Nìvingkap, your signature is missing a ke :-[ whenever there's a kawkrr, kawtu, kawtseng etc. you need to negate the verb as well. ;)

Reiey fpi Sìtaron

So oe 'iyevieia mì äie a ngateri/ngata would be correct?

(and thanks, I've never been sure on whether it was needed or not).

Plumps

Quote from: Reiey fpi Sìtaron on August 27, 2013, 01:23:31 PM
So oe 'iyevieia mì äie a ngateri/ngata would be correct?
It should be :)

Quote from: Reiey fpi Sìtaron on August 27, 2013, 01:23:31 PM(and thanks, I've never been sure on whether it was needed or not).
It is ... but before the verb ;) so before tsole'a ;)

Tanri

Also, if we want to say specifically that the vision was showing you, I think this can be said almost literally:

Lolu oeru äie a wìntxu ngati tengkrr wem oeyä 'llngorofa. Set li ke lu oeru kea txopu a layätxayn fkol olo'it awngeyä.
- I had a vision of you fighting by my side. Now I am not afraid anymore that our clan will be defeated.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Plumps

A bit OT
Quote from: Tanri on August 27, 2013, 01:59:59 PMLolu oeru äie a wìntxu ngati tengkrr wem oeyä 'llngorofa. Set li ke lu oeru kea txopu a layätxayn fkol olo'it awngeyä.
- I had a vision of you fighting by my side. Now I am not afraid anymore that our clan will be defeated.

Very poetic :P I'd say oeyä pa'orofa or just oehu/hu oe