You don't know how happy I am

Started by Kemaweyan, August 23, 2010, 04:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemaweyan

Today when I talked with tsmukan KalaKuival, he asked me about one phrase. But I could not answer... So, this phrase is "You don't know how happy I am". How we should say it in Na'vi? Issue is with word "how", how would we translate it?

As we know, "how" in Na'vi is "pefya" or "fyape", but these words we can use only in questions. So, "Nga ke omum pefya oe nitram lu" is wrong.. The second way to say this word in sentences is to use word "fya'o": "Ngal ke omum fya'ot a oe nitram lu", but it means "You don't know the way ...". :-\ Also wrong...

However I have one idea. This phrase was created from "Oe lu fìtxan nitram", right? So, we must create sentence with word "fìtxan", but it isn't noun. maybe if we create the noun "tìtxan", then it should be "Ngal ke omum tìtxanit a lu oe nitram", kefyak?

What do you think about it?
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

kewnya txamew'itan

When I read the title I followed the exact same thought process, it seems reasonable to me. That said, if we approach this the other way (starting from the way fì'u is used instead of the English "how much") I think "fìtxan a" would also be reasonable.

I think this could be one for Frommer.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

wm.annis

Quote from: Kemaweyan on August 23, 2010, 04:22:52 PMHowever I have one idea. This phrase was created from "Oe lu fìtxan nitram", right? So, we must create sentence with word "fìtxan", but it isn't noun. maybe if we create the noun "tìtxan", then it should be "Ngal ke omum tìtxanit a lu oe nitram", kefyak?

I think this is the correct approach, but your current solution makes me uncomfortable.  The head of a relative clause (here tìtxanit) has to play some role in that relative clause.  In Na'vi, if the head isn't acting as a subject or direct object, it needs to be repeated in the clause with a pronoun (po or tsaw) (Canon).  It's not at all clear how tìtxan fits into the syntax of a lu oe nitram.

omängum fra'uti

Why not use hìmtxan?

My first thought would be to take nitram and turn it into a noun, and use something like we saw from Frommer on one of his recent blog comments.

Furia pìmtxan tìnitram lu oer, ngal ke omum
How much happiness do I have, you do not know

Or without using the question form...

Ngal ke omum hìmtxanit a nitram oe lu
You don't know amount which I am happy

I think I like the question form better though, but it's based on my interpretation of why Frommer used a similar construction.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Kemaweyan

Quote from: kewnya txamew'itan on August 23, 2010, 04:42:04 PM
When I read the title I followed the exact same thought process, it seems reasonable to me. That said, if we approach this the other way (starting from the way fì'u is used instead of the English "how much") I think "fìtxan a" would also be reasonable.

I think this could be one for Frommer.
Nga ke omum fìtxan a oe nitram lu oe Ngal ke omum fìtxanit a oe nitram lu? But "fìtxan" is not noun.. is possible to use it thus?

Quote from: wm.annis on August 23, 2010, 04:44:47 PM
Quote from: Kemaweyan on August 23, 2010, 04:22:52 PMHowever I have one idea. This phrase was created from "Oe lu fìtxan nitram", right? So, we must create sentence with word "fìtxan", but it isn't noun. maybe if we create the noun "tìtxan", then it should be "Ngal ke omum tìtxanit a lu oe nitram", kefyak?

I think this is the correct approach, but your current solution makes me uncomfortable.  The head of a relative clause (here tìtxanit) has to play some role in that relative clause.  In Na'vi, if the head isn't acting as a subject or direct object, it needs to be repeated in the clause with a pronoun (po or tsaw) (Canon).  It's not at all clear how tìtxan fits into the syntax of a lu oe nitram.

Irayo.. So, it should be "Ngal ke omum tìtxanit a fìtxan nitram lu oe"?

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on August 23, 2010, 04:49:50 PM
Why not use hìmtxan?

My first thought would be to take nitram and turn it into a noun, and use something like we saw from Frommer on one of his recent blog comments.

Furia pìmtxan tìnitram lu oer, ngal ke omum
How much happiness do I have, you do not know

Or without using the question form...

Ngal ke omum hìmtxanit a nitram oe lu
You don't know amount which I am happy

I think I like the question form better though, but it's based on my interpretation of why Frommer used a similar construction.

Yeah! I agree. Maybe it is the best way. Irayo ;)

Lance R. Casey

A friendly reminder: the correct verb to use with nitram and suchlike is 'efu rather than lu:

Quote from: FrommerLefpom is nfp (not for people)—use it for "happy story," "joyous occasion," etc. For people: nitram. For internal states (happy, sad, hot, cold, hungry, thirsty, . . .) use 'efu + ADJ, as in Eng. "I feel cold."

// Lance R. Casey

omängum fra'uti

Ah yes thank you, I knew lu didn't "feel" right, but couldn't think of why not, and that wasn't the important point of what was being discussed so I didn't give it much thought.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Kemaweyan

Tam. "Lu nitram" should be "'efu nitram", irayo ;)