Avatar Sheet Music - The Complete Score (5th Version)

Started by Ikran Ahiyìk, January 01, 2011, 03:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikran Ahiyìk

There are not much people is here and know these.. It seems there was more, but nearly all are gone. You can see this board was quite active in the first few months of this site, but now only this thread is running... I have to speed up and release those videos so that people like you can at least get something to listen to, not these confusing sheets... but I'm still afraid if the reaction at that time is still so low, I will probably be said as failed in this two years..

*sighs* :-[
Some people like you did show me the concern and I can keep it up, but I'm not so satisfied after time passed lol
I'm updating the name generator these days, so it delays a bit..
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Tsmuktengan

You have not failed at all. Even if activity has decreased, which is normal through time in this type of community, you are still currently doing excellent work. And I am sure I am not wrong about this, otherwise me and other people would not read this topic so often.

Payoang

I eagerly await each new post and update to the sweet music. I personally can't wait for the day when the whole collection will be done! Thanks for everything you've done-- as an arranger myself, I know how many hundreds of hours have gone into this.

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on January 20, 2012, 07:08:04 PM
You have not failed at all. Even if activity has decreased, which is normal through time in this type of community, you are still currently doing excellent work. And I am sure I am not wrong about this, otherwise me and other people would not read this topic so often.

This still can't be determined right now... I mean after the whole release, which the book maybe lengthened to 1500 pages, but the main expected success is from the videos, which reach more people's level, but seems I'm not planning to do this at the beginning... Oh I should make this clear: Version 7 is the "full release", but there's still one more afterward, that is I break down the voices to show more exact dynamics, and make the videos, they are to be released to the "public".

Suddenly I remembered Kxeyo had mentioned the realizing issue. I revised and think it's great. But there's no way. BTW anyone knows HOW the "official arrangement(s)" to be published?

Quote from: Payoang on January 20, 2012, 07:27:36 PM
I eagerly await each new post and update to the sweet music. I personally can't wait for the day when the whole collection will be done! Thanks for everything you've done-- as an arranger myself, I know how many hundreds of hours have gone into this.

Ten and something hundreds in total now I believe..

I hope the final one would awe you. ;D

Is "sweet music" a typo or a joke? Haha..

Kxeyo

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on January 17, 2012, 07:09:14 PM
Quote from: Kxeyo Te Eanari Tsenu'itan on January 17, 2012, 11:36:59 AM
Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on January 12, 2012, 09:39:56 PM
Vivace is very good.. I'm finding a place for this and now this is the best one.
I think the first part sounds OK though.. what annoys you.. tremoli again? ::) In MIDI they crash, or you're already listening to my youtube version.. I hope it's not the case.
Second part, I'm afraid I don't think the original's really calm.. or it's because pedal is missed and the supporting voice is too loud and detached, it sounds rough.. With pedal it will be smooth.

A piano simply doesn't sound like flutes and drums, alright? I know the arrangement was done correctly, I just don't like how it sounds.
No, I'm sure these sixteenth notes are too much. Whatever you like...

But there should be something, cannot leave it plain...
I think piano sounds OK for drums, especially in lower pitches, as it itself is a kind of percussion..
For the flute here.. it's trilled.. anyway I think we can't consider much on the comparison of the sound quality..

How about if I change them into triplets? ::)

Yep. So just leave it like this. And you can try using triplets instead, I don't know how that'll sound though. Might be worth a try.

Because they are built up by different voices. In piano you'll do everything by your fingers, so the same note presented separately seems meaningless, but if it's played by a band, there would be at least two instruments playing it. Back to piano, I write in this way is to reminds you don't forget they are different voices, this is important: sometimes it affects the sound quality.. If I drop it, the voice will seems to be strange as it is supposed to be continuous..

In fact I can drop the 0. When you see there's two notes in the same pitch with one of them no fingerings, you know you can ignore one of them at this instance. To specifies which one is recommended to ignore, then I write 0's.

I never wanted you to drop the zeros. I wanted you to drop the notes that appear twice. But since you wrote you don't want it because it reminds the player and stuff, keep it.

But I should plan to add more use of soft pedal, now it only appears in this track, any ideas? :)

By just skipping through the tracks: 02-2, 4 (first page), 05-1/3, 07-2 (last page, if I'm not mistaken), 07-5/7, 09-1, 10, 11-7 (maybe), 13-1/2, 13-3 (maybe), 13-7 (first page). If I discover something else, I'll tell you.

I'll pay more attention.

These are all quick suggestions, anyway, it might be not too hard to find parts with soft pedal. Or is it?

Sorry, but what's so different about the Ver.5 preview? At first sight, I see nothing. :-\
It's mainly for updating all I included base on our discussion up to track 16.. the changes are only the expressions. Hard to be seen clearly, but important.

Only the expressions? You're re-arranging a bit later, right?

He will Try to Kill You

Allegro stretto doesn't work, I guess. Stretto should be seen in a context of a fugue. If you really want to add something, the only thing I could find would be "ritmico". I know what you wanted to add here, but there's not really a way of adding it. The right term doesn't exist.
2099-2103 remind me of the discussion we had about "Jake Meets The Na'vi". Again, I think this doesn't sound good at all. The other figures like in 2112 or 2124-2127 are well set, but is there a way you could change this one? It doesn't fit.
What about adding an expression at 2144?

Jake's First Flight

Mhm...expression at 2227?
2252 and 2253 don't seem to fit. Rhythmically, I mean. It sounds like you're rushing by. I'd say use a ritardando or a fermate or something and end at the low B. Then just add the sixteenth notes. Do you know what I mean? This piece stops for a short moment and then starts again, fast and loudly. ;)
It's easy to get lost starting from 2352. Nothing that can be done about this?
I'd go a bit further for the "Con larghezza" part and use free time (i.e. ad libitum) for it. It's not a good idea to put the...which song was it? Well, anyway, there's this song in this part. Which is a na'vi composition which doesn't have real time signatures. So...would you erase them? Like in "Mated For Life"? I think this fits really well.

The Hunt

This is not the hunt scene inside the CE, is it? It sounds differently. I cannot say much about it. Vivace and Presto at the end of this piece seem wrong, but...the whole think seems like a very heavy piece, not a lively or cheerful one. All the expressions seem a bit off. So...we need to replace Allegro, Vivace and Presto. Any suggestions? Bellicoso seems already a bit too obvious. ::)
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

Ikran Ahiyìk

Sorry, since these days are the starting days of Chinese New Year, I don't even have the time to reply or explain on your comments.. please wait until tomorrow, or maybe 1 day more. Give you this first in this quick reply...

Very tired days.. go around the city.. :P

Quote from: Kxeyo Te Eanari Tsenu'itan on January 22, 2012, 09:40:51 AM
The Hunt

This is not the hunt scene inside the CE, is it? It sounds differently. I cannot say much about it.

You can, after listening to this. ;)

"The Hunt" -- Avatar: The Recording Sessions

Kxeyo

Alright. Well...forget about what I said about this piece in the last thread then. Look at this instead. ;) Oh, and note that I looked at practically every single detail. Sorry. ::)

The Hunt

I can see several "problems" here in your arrangement. By not knowing the song, I already thought it lacks something. Now I'm sure about that, so...
It might be an idea to put staccato over the whole string part. The voices should be more noticeable. I know you added an accent and forte, but...could you change the octave or does that sound bad? Same with the drum part, could that one be lower? It makes the piece more difficult I guess, but I also think it sounds better.
Con larghezza at 2493? I'm talking about the half notes. It's important, I think. The sixteenth notes aren't as important, though. The following rhythm, again, would sound better if it was played a bit lower and accented. Maybe add a marcato? The decrease in volume might be unnecessary, for my taste it is. It's a bit lighter, sure, but mezzopiano is a bit too much. And again look at the articulation, staccato and legato are both present.
2503 needs to be changed, at least a bit. Like the main voice, through this flute, gets a lot louder. Is there any way you could at a tremolo or something similar at 2505 to build up tension? Would be great.
Maestoso e energico at 2506? The mood changes. And the end of the piece gets a lot faster with time. I'm not even sure if "accelerando poco à poco" would be good for that. Maybe add several accelerandos, after every double bar? Or what about "più mosso"? Anyway, 158 BPM seem to slow to me.

I hope this helped you in some way. I just listened to this piece for the first time and nag so much...after all, allegro, vivace and presto seem to fit now. The expressions are good. ::)

Great Leonopteryx

You know this track is a difficult one, right? I would have never wanted to arrange it. :P By all means, moderato is not a good idea. Use scatenato, or furioso, but not moderato. And although I really wanted to analyze every detail, I told myself not to because this piece won't sound differently if not performed on drums. So I focus on all expressions instead.

A misterioso at 2546 could be a great idea. The dim. e rit. could be replaced by a morendo, if you want to. Just mark the important notes in 2557 and 2558 (You know what I mean).

Something rather interesting and experimental...well...I don't know, add a comment or something similar, since I think you should mention this here at 2558. The high notes represent the "breathing", the low ones the "heartbeat". Do you know what I'm trying to say? It's like a na'vi body talks for a moment. When the melody sets in, you just mark a general misterioso or something like that. And change the octave on the heartbeat, I'm sure that sounds great. Add some pedal and you're done. What do you think? This is one of the more spiritual parts of the score. Might be an idea.

Who am I?

Got the "real" version to listen to? I've never been able to listen to it and I really would like to before commenting.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

Ikran Ahiyìk

Your format looks very good to me. ::)

Soft pedal

I better set up another round for this. It should take only a little time.

About the Preview

Yes. Only the expressions, based on all missed discussion here.
Arrangements are already in version 4a.

Choose Your Ikran when You are Ready

Got it. I'll give you the MIDI sample soon. Tomorrow maybe.. since now I'm working on the name generator so the time is a bit tight.. btw have you ever tried it? ;D

Night Iridescence

I'm afraid this is not so possible. Because the 0's are for the overlapped notes.. if they are dropped, the 0's will disappear together. It's meaningless to give two fingering markers to one single note.. The only way can do is drop one marker, but this is explained.. especially it's a whole note and a quarter note.. there's no way to put them together (and looks good).

He will Try to Kill You

OK for the expression.
How about trills in a/descending chromatic scale for 2099-2103?
Good idea for 2144. It's the starting place of the pitched section, which is very rare in this track.. but any suggestion for the content? Tranquillo seems doesn't fit.

Jake's First Flight

2227: Anything besides cantabile? Dolce's used.
2252, 2253: No I think it's rhythmic. Clear beats, so no fermate. But the pause seems to be true. So, leave the B longer, leave arpeggio only in the second beat of 2253? Something here.
2352? I think you mean 2366. This is a loose part, I think this is normal.. It's hard to figure out the durations too.
The last one, how to erase it? You've said "Mated for Life", you mean using those broken bar lines? There are generally some long beats.. or you mean track 33? Then I'll lose lots of bars.. :P

The Hunt

That means the dots, for every notes of the strings 2480-2493, instead of simply a staccato? OK for this.
Changing the octave for the drums might be a good idea, but I think it will then be not uniform enough. You see the strings part is often played by left hand also. If I make this edit, the span for both hands would be too large..
Everything's OK before 2503.
2503 flute: I think it's a notation problem and I better fix it. It means the on-beat notes are to be played heavier, and it's actually crescendo generally.
2505 tremolo: Good but how? Or simply make the current into trem.?
The following expressions are all fine. :)
I've checked together with the soundtrack and it's really 158 bpm, or at least something around. But it's free for performing, still a good suggestion for an arrangement. Would 168 satisfies? ;)

Found this track great? ;) Have you found out the reason they pulled this out from the movie? I haven't.

Great Leonopteryx

A bit easier than track 16. Would you found it's boring when diminished 7ths are the only chords going?
2546's fine. I myself tend to not use the same expression even it's in need.. You reminds.
2557, 2558: I guess they're the eighth notes, correct..? But sorry I don't understand what means by marking them.. :P
You analyse the relaxed part very well.. an idea definitely. The only thing's about octave, lower it by one? Or duplicate it to one lower?

Who am I? and other "unknown" tracks

Something better to be sent via PM.

Irayo again. You can always point out something I can't see.

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Kxeyo Te Eanari Tsenu'itan on January 22, 2012, 09:40:51 AM
Vivace is very good.. I'm finding a place for this and now this is the best one.
I think the first part sounds OK though.. what annoys you.. tremoli again? ::) In MIDI they crash, or you're already listening to my youtube version.. I hope it's not the case.
Second part, I'm afraid I don't think the original's really calm.. or it's because pedal is missed and the supporting voice is too loud and detached, it sounds rough.. With pedal it will be smooth.

A piano simply doesn't sound like flutes and drums, alright? I know the arrangement was done correctly, I just don't like how it sounds.
No, I'm sure these sixteenth notes are too much. Whatever you like...

But there should be something, cannot leave it plain...
I think piano sounds OK for drums, especially in lower pitches, as it itself is a kind of percussion..
For the flute here.. it's trilled.. anyway I think we can't consider much on the comparison of the sound quality..

How about if I change them into triplets? ::)

Yep. So just leave it like this. And you can try using triplets instead, I don't know how that'll sound though. Might be worth a try.

Oh wait. You mean page 2-3 of it right?
It's done halfway, but I decide to stop the edit at 1478.. I think making it contain both triplets and sixteenths can create the climax more well. What's your opinion?

Sorry for being busy on the generator these days, it's nearly done.. progress here is slowed down.. Going out now, will give you the sheet and sample tonight. :)

Sheet

MIDI

Kxeyo

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on January 27, 2012, 02:38:23 AM
You mean page 2-3 of it right?
It's done halfway, but I decide to stop the edit at 1478.. I think making it contain both triplets and sixteenths can create the climax more well. What's your opinion?

Sorry for being busy on the generator these days, it's nearly done.. progress here is slowed down.. Going out now, will give you the sheet and sample tonight. :)

Sheet

MIDI

Mhm...you should change 1478 as well. Otherwise it seems a bit strange to me. Actually not a bad idea of keeping the end like it was.

I'll reply to the other post later. ;)
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Kxeyo

I think the tracks before He will Try to Kill You are done now. So I go on from there.

2099-2103: Again, just try how it sounds. It could be a good idea.
Insistendo? You're right, tranquillo isn't very accurate.

Jake's First Flight
2227: Festivamente or con brio?
2252: Again, try. I'll take a look at it.
Broken bar lines, yes. Not like the funeral chant! There's everything written in one bar there, I know. No, these broken lines seem good to me. I'd write at the last page then "con somma passione" and instead of giving a tempo "ad libitum".

The Hunt
The dots would make it clearer, I think.
So you can't change it? Not at all? Well...keep it. :-\
At 2505, there's just a low A played. Can you work with that? Or just keep the sixteenth notes and change the rest into tremolo.
Write 168 and I'll shut up. ;)
The hunting scene in the movie uses the war themes completely. Why? I don't know. This track would have been as good.

Great Leonopteryx
2557, 2558: No, the  quarter notes. If you mark a morendo at 2554, then these notes wouldn't be played. It could be misleading. Put an accent on them or something, I don't know what you could do. You're the arranger. :P
Could the G be played one octave lower? No need to dublicate the notes.

Who Am I?
Three "mistakes" I've found:
1. Left hand in 2586 sets in a bit later. In your sheet, it plays at beat 1.
2. Beat 3+ in 2595 is a pause. This repeats at 2597, 2599 and from 2600 to 2603. In fact, almost the whole left hand part is designed like this, didn't you notice?
3. A mordent in 2601 can be clearly heard. But you didn't include it.

What I don't understand is what you're doing at 2604. It's like the quietest section in the whole score and you added thirty-second notes. Just a low tone held over the bars would be sufficient.

The expression "Largo freddo" doesn't satisfy me. I think this track is a prime example for appassionato, don't you think so? I'd suggest "Lento appassionato". Oh, and don't forget to add pedal. ;)

A Man of My Word

Nothing to comment on. ::)

Mated For Life

In my opinion, you used too much of that "atmosphere effects" like tremoli and fast notes. Some sections could be quieter. If you want to know which, please ask. But I guess you don't want to change them. Expressions are fine.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Ikran Ahiyìk

Report : ;D

"He will Try to Kill You", MIDI

See how the "trills" works (MIDI may crash, since it's not following the symbol), or suggest another method if it still sucks..
Allegro rithmico fixed.
I've put insistendo at 2153, but also a tranquillo at 2144 (it seems to work with pairing).

Jake's First Flight, MIDI

Festivamente.
Sounds worse than I expect, but still OK though.
OK broken bar lines looks special. Nice suggestion. Now it's in 7-8-7-9-7-11 group, really perfect.

I have brought these lines to the beginning also, since their structure are similar, together with Mated for Life. Show the phrases by this method, please check out. :)

The Hunt, MIDI

No, I found it's not fine when I started to add them. The dots ruins the layout a lot.. so now I use small notes to represent the string part until the section change. Remember there are lots of usage of small notes. ;)
Octave bass: I've tried - it's possible in one region. I found there are 2 phrases in the beginning section (before key change), they both end in climax, so I've done something to the first one. See 2488-2490. Quite lucky for they're in here.
Tremolo: now both hands participate in it. It's a dominant 7th. LH must be Bb-A - I tried A-A, sounds not pleasant.
Check the ending. I erase the accel. since it's actually 3 levels of tempo simply. No acceleration between levels at all.

Great Leonopteryx, MIDI

Furioso fixed.
I'm still confused on how the morendo works. Now I just replaced dim. e rit. by it. There should be something missing..
Ah, this part also, I decided to lower the last note of every group of 16ths by one semitone, the major 2nd interval at the ending of each diminished 7th chord sounds a bit weird.. This haven't been done, is it good to?
G: I thought you mean the B/Bb so I say duplicate.. How about the G's now? Note that the lower G of the last three octaves are overlapped. There should be 0 fingerings, I missed. :P

Who Am I?, MIDI

1. I found this also true in 2584. Now I add one more note at 2583 and 2585, because it's exactly a 32th time later, but I can't move both quarters in the bars, the fact should be that the previous bar is lengthened, I guess.. :P "Short fermata" introduced. Now go to RH - you found it's quinplet and triplet, it's digital notation problem.. think they are equal as the normal 32ths, and the time is 17/32..
2. Thanks for reminding. I've double checked, now they are 2593, 2595, 2597 and 2599-2603.
3. Thanks. But this can't be expressed by a symbol, it's the kind in Mated for Life. Noted that the group is started right on beat 1, there should be notes later..

It seems to me there's something "running" in bass part. Or refer to the movie, some engine sound by Scorpion or Samson, I don't remember.. I arranged this from the movie and I found the real track after I finish arranging it (just some work within half hour in fact. :P) Another reason would be "it means there's something going on", or more directly, "held over is already used in Climbing Iknimaya", to close the story of getting an ikran, there's something more.
Hope this explains. :) (it seems an excuse haha but it's true to me somehow)

A Man of My Word

My class number. ;D

Mated For Life

This requires more work. I just up to the point before this, so I just show you my proposal:
It's true.. I want to skip this part when I listen to it (The arranger himself skips it! How stupid is it!?) Yeah. :-[ But it's actually a very nice piece, sorry for making it like this... I remember you and Ekirä had used the avatars with words exactly same as the title here. ;)
So I think I should replace all the tremolo(-like structures) to arpeggio (~~~~ in vertical), in 2725-2736, 2741-2767, 2784, 2785, 2789 and 2790. Would this plan work you think?
For 2769-2782, I decide to remain the tension there.

You've somehow taught me to feel the music more generally, not by it's volume only.. ::)
Its echo or harmony is quite rich, by the sense is very peace. I don't find this at all when I was arranging it.

Oh, it have taken more than an hour just for this report.. ::)
This is our open message box haha.

Ikran Ahiyìk

« Reply on: February 01, 2012 at 01:30:28 »
Becoming One of "The People"

Something for reference, so 1607-1719 is slightly edited.

Mated for Life, MIDI

Finished edit as proposed. Fingering error may cause, will be checked later another stage.

Pre-commentating Notes :

It's more and more urgent to finish day by day, I need you very much :o Or are you confused by some parts? This may helps.

The Voices Fall (Scorched Earth)

3070-3078 is improvised, not anything on any soundtrack. Or you may find it links the two versions a bit strangely..
Starting from 3079 is the alternate version I gave you, but not start arranging from the beginning.

The Challenge

It should be some arrangements by the production team in the movie. Only can be found in the movie, no soundtrack supports, at least I can't find them..
And 3384-3386 is improvised.

Quaritch Pulls the Plug

This is the one I gave you, not in 3CD since it's for dense lines, too loose music, with too much long notes and pause.
I decided not to change the key signature until the f# minor part.

In contract, I want to specify the frequent change of key, so there are extremely many (for me) changes of key signature in the previous two tracks.

No Reasoning

Again not 3CD. The first bars with transposition can be found in CE version of the movie, Tsu'tey's death scene.

The Sky People are Coming (Quaritch)

3548-3551 maybe lacks bass, do you think so?
There's an incorrect key signature change in 3581, but I have no choice. If it's c# minor, 3608 must be placed in the next page of it as before, and it looks bad.

That's all for this time. :)

Kxeyo

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on February 01, 2012, 10:05:25 AM
It's more and more urgent to finish day by day, I need you very much :o Or are you confused by some parts?

It's not that. I'm not sure if you're aware of what's going on here, though. See, you did arrange all this and I'm just pointing out what I personally like and don't like. That's ok - it's just something I do when I got some time and actually want to comment right now. It takes time for me to look at the sheets, I don't know if you know that. You're way more talented than me, you know the complete soundtrack by heart and you can respond to any question easily. I even have to rely on MIDI files, because I cannot imagine what the music sounds like by only reading the score. And then I gotta listen and watch a second time until I can point out things to you. A lot more time for me than it is for you. I know you want to get done, but I'm not sure if I can provide more than I provide right now. :-\

I really like what you're doing. I highly appreciate your work and I wouldn't be able to do anything like you did. That's why I comment here. It might not be much, and neither helpful, nor am I fast. But I just want to show you that I like what you're doing. Compared to you, I'm not even worth anything. You're a great musical talent, you're the toruk - I am the teylu, and I'll always remain a teylu as long as you're here. I want you to know this. And I'll promise you to comment faster on stuff, ok? Just write me PMs if it takes you too long. And pre-commenting is a good idea, keep that up. I'll comment on every track you pre-commented in then next post. There's only one thing I still got to say: Thank you. Thank you for doing this.

Only a few things that need to be said about older stuff:

Great Leonopteryx
A "morendo" means "dim. et rit.", but it's stronger. It fades to nothing, until nothing is heard anymore. I think we need this here. But I'd erase the "sempre" you added. ;)

QuoteAh, this part also, I decided to lower the last note of every group of 16ths by one semitone, the major 2nd interval at the ending of each diminished 7th chord sounds a bit weird.. This haven't been done, is it good to?

Please explain that, I don't understand what you did where.

Who Am I?

I didn't point that out yet. Look at the small notes in 2587 and 2588. F is being played, but it's a bit...disturbing. You got E+F played at the same time for example. I'd change to another tone, if possible.

Mated For Life

I guess I wasn't able to see all changes, but the whole piece seems pretty nice to me now. Just keep it this way. :D

Scorched Earth

2981-2984 could be a bit too much. I don't know, it depends on you.
As always, the voices like in 3031 or 3037 should be more audible, I think. They're always like..."hiding" behind the other notes. Something to consider in later versions?
"Capriccioso" is again one of these "light" terms. From now on (Book II), every piece seems more and more dramatic. So...I don't know what to do here really. Prove me wrong if capriccioso isn't just a term for happy music - otherwise, we should think of something different.
You could mark "eco" at 3023. That means echo, nothing else. :P
I thought of a fortepiano at 3111. Could be dramatic. It's already dramatic, I know. ::)
If there was a term for "becoming darker", I'd use it here and there. Like in 3152. Doesn't exist, so forget it. ;)
Oh yeah, good work on your "improvisation". The end is a bit strange, but it worked an connected the parts inbetween. The soundtrack version stops and you just build a bridge.

The Challenge

I don't even remember hearing this piece somewhere before. Doesn't matter too much! Since I don't know it, there's nothing to critize. And I kinda like it, it reminds me of a few compositions I know. :P

Quaritch Pulls the Plug

You're right, many many key changes in the last two tracks. Not that I'd mind it too much, but I know you always try to avoid them.
Blame it on the MIDI, I guess that's a good idea - lots of emotion in this piece is missing. I guess it's the MIDI, but I want to make sure I'm right. So...I bet you know what Horner did to so many themes that appear inside the movie in this piece. They all sound horrible, threatening, fearful, sorrowful or depressing. And we definitely need some feeling in your piece, or it just sounds like a collection of all the themes, unchanged. One thing I noticed is that the rhythm is often too slow in a few sections. I'd be a good idea to work with stringendo (and the opposite of it, I just cannot remember what that was...) - maybe that doesn't work, but look for example at 3415: You're trying to produce this sound, I know, but sextuplets are simply not enough. Or not enough for such a long time. So there are two possibilities: Either change the rhythm completely or "tighten" it. To build up tension. Same with 3432. Same with 3465 onwards.
The other aspect: I can't explain it really. To me, this piece sounds too "pleasant".
Well, the expressions: What about a "Grave" instead of moderato? Maybe you should write alla breve next to the symbol, to show that the piece is getting faster. That's all

No Reasoning

Lamentoso would fit much better than just a weak Sospirando, I think. I'd also mark two dolce (or leggiermente) in this piece: One somewhere between 3499 and 3505, the other one at 3520.
Three "mistakes" again:
1. The rhythm is wrong, I think it's more like only one eighth note and six sixteenth notes. Listen again.
2. At 3520 on beat 1+, I think there should be another morendo.
3. Starting from 3528, the high note could be played a bit faster, but not too much. It just sounds better.

The Sky People are Coming

No way I can still comment on this today. Will get back to you on that.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Kxeyo Te Eanari Tsenu'itan on February 01, 2012, 12:02:08 PM
Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on February 01, 2012, 10:05:25 AM
It's more and more urgent to finish day by day, I need you very much :o Or are you confused by some parts?

It's not that. I'm not sure if you're aware of what's going on here, though. See, you did arrange all this and I'm just pointing out what I personally like and don't like. That's ok - it's just something I do when I got some time and actually want to comment right now. It takes time for me to look at the sheets, I don't know if you know that. You're way more talented than me, you know the complete soundtrack by heart and you can respond to any question easily. I even have to rely on MIDI files, because I cannot imagine what the music sounds like by only reading the score. And then I gotta listen and watch a second time until I can point out things to you. A lot more time for me than it is for you. I know you want to get done, but I'm not sure if I can provide more than I provide right now. :-\

I really like what you're doing. I highly appreciate your work and I wouldn't be able to do anything like you did. That's why I comment here. It might not be much, and neither helpful, nor am I fast. But I just want to show you that I like what you're doing. Compared to you, I'm not even worth anything. You're a great musical talent, you're the toruk - I am the teylu, and I'll always remain a teylu as long as you're here. I want you to know this. And I'll promise you to comment faster on stuff, ok? Just write me PMs if it takes you too long. And pre-commenting is a good idea, keep that up. I'll comment on every track you pre-commented in then next post. There's only one thing I still got to say: Thank you. Thank you for doing this.

This is, somehow... my life. In this two years of work it seems "I'm born to do this", people just beats me in other categories, in a competition (sense). So I've no way to be not aware of this. But its still uncertain about the future, I'm still a distance from working... Maybe this is a good example to show what extent I can concentrate to one thing. Most of the teachers at school (taught me and don't know this) think that I refuse to work at a thing.

There's the problem of point of view. Forgives me I often can't express the idea exactly. It means we can't completely know what each other thinks, so we must say it here. You've said yours, now it's my turn. I tend to work alone, because paying more time causes less difficulties than controlling others to aim at my target, and I can handle. But this time I can't. You're true - I can tell you what the track and time by giving me an extract of the track, let's say 2 or 3 seconds. Music after listening to for some times, they'll be recorded to my brain. But you know? This is too much. Too much that they become the absolute. Without someone other than myself, it's very hard for me to spot out the errors. Now, my view is more fixed, but yours is usual as one of the audience, and you can tell me them 100% in what you know. Just see the thread I started for title translations checking, they are titles I see everyday, but still so many errors are there, and I don't know them until they point them out.

Maybe it's me, you can proofread yours maybe.. but I can't, and I must let you know that you did help, does helped and are helping me very much, and you're at the important role. I should be more patient, especially now I heard you need to focus really hard on every track. And I should be guilty since there's no improvement in this attitude at all... But one point I gonna be frank - I'm more and more afraid after seeing no replies here for X days (and X getting smaller and smaller) because there were more than one long empty periods here, each lasted for 2 months. It's somehow a torture mentally when I thinks of this maybe happen once more. To prevent this, that's the thing I did.

Glad to hear you suggested the way. Haha you may comment faster if it don't affects your other time unwantedly, or I will be guilty again.. Maybe this works fine - feel free to leave anything here every one or two days, no matter how much there is. There's no problem to be a few words. I see it takes more time to write comments you're doing now - they maybe split up, or keep it as now if you're actually working on several tracks at once...

Pre-commenting's my recent idea. First planned because I have to tell you what the stuff 3070-3078 is, otherwise there will be a good chance to get the question from you "what's that?". This can avoid these questions, safe our time and efforts for thinking... Another glad-to-hear reply, I definitely should keep it up. :) Finally seykxel sì nitram for reaching Book II now, cheers! :D

Report :

Great Leonopteryx, MIDI

Sempre removed.
Now I edited it directly, see every 6th and 12th note of the lowest voice of each bar in 2554-2558.

Who Am I?, MIDI

E become F now, it's a bit less voice-independent and seems something is missed, but yes piano is one instrument, the sound will be different comparing with two instruments playing the voices..

Mated for Life

Maybe they're not matching all the parts you expected.. yeah I didn't ask you specifically.. I think this is enough maybe, a good way still. ;)

Scorched Earth, MIDI

2981-2984: I've learned this pattern in playing one of the Beethoven's sonatas, it seems to work fine in a wide range of volume. I prefer to leave it. :P
Odds in 3031-3041: Changed or added necessary sf's and added notes - 3031 C# E#, 3033 - D F#, 3034 - E, 3035 C E. Now sf comparing with f, you know which is more catching. Of we need even sff? ;D
I wished to say there's always great changes aren't predictable, at the first parts the scene changes fast between the site and Tree of Voices many times.
Added eco although I don't fully understand what's going on.. You mean the top voice? Then there are many places should have been added this.
3111: Sorry, no.. but you reminds me this, and instead I added a crescendo in 3110 beats 3 to 4. From f crescents to p express this more well, 3111 don't starts in forte also. I bet you'll like this. ;)
Don't even understand "becoming darker" :P so just skip..
I'm a beginner on composing key change stuff. ::)

The Challenge

88:09 - 91:31 in the first release of the movie. Starts at "Son of a b****" and ends at "You find yourself a local tail ..." Have a look maybe. ;)

Quaritch Pulls the Plug, MIDI

Yes you know me always try to avoid, but except here (of cause not as much as others' arrangement or the official one).

You make me realised there are really a lot of themes here.. whoa. And very good remind of stringendo, very useful.
3415: become 32ths 32nds.
3432: become quintuplets.
3465: added stringendo and later ritardando.
The first expression, OK if it's Grave, alla breve? :P

This track sums up lots of the magic.. but should be less pleasant? Only for some sections I think.

Will post more later. Need to have dinner. :)

Report :

No Reasoning, MIDI

Thanks for it. Lamentoso added, but I still keep sospirando there since sometimes the emotion is not that strong, and the scene, Jake's sighing a lot. Clearly.
1. Yes it is. Fixed now.. even noticed there's two voice - one is the one now edited, and one is all 8ths. You know the pattern is changed from 3493.
2. Sorry but I don't feel it.. it seems there's change in mood only, so dolce here you suggested, only.. also 3505.
3. How about 16ths? I doubt before, but thinks OK now after trying.

Pre-commenting Notes :

I'm afraid I don't have enough time, so I can only give you one track. This is a long and famous one, maybe OK. :)
As you said this is helpful, I should give something at least..

The Destruction of Hometree

Oh, just realise this is the first arrangement by me you saw, and linked up us. Maybe you're clear about it...

Key signature: Actually there is inaccurate use. I'm undecided on whether add the E minor signature or not. It has a supporting role here, not an extra.
If I choose this, 3707-3717 and 3864-3884 will be in this key signature, and maybe also a open key for 3885-3895.
Pros - No key signature change from the last track. More make sense, as the track starts in E minor. More variety.
Cons - There's no natural will be removed at the beginning, besides some cautionary C#'s will appear. Change key signature a bit too much, but still not meet the level for exact key representing.

Mixed source: Form both OST and 3CD, because they all have their own features. You know where are they, or ask me if you don't.. :P

Repeat bar lines: At 3793-3796, is one of the only two repeats among 3 books. it's optional to repeat or not, while repeat means 3CD or movie version, once only means OST.

Snare drums: 3758-3790, there are some 16ths (or triplets) representing the snare drum. They are repeating the same note originally, but edited later since my left hand can't play that fast.

Tremoli notation: In the last page tramoli are in 64ths, but means the same as some 32ths 32nds with trem. means played as frequent as possible. To be considered whether even in slow passages should they be uniformly notated in 32nds. 3903-3905 isn't following neither rule, please ignore this fact first. :P

See if the tramoli in 3850-3863 good or not: you see something special by comparing 3858 and 3859.

Quite a lot. Thanks a lot!
In fact after seeing the amount of comments you give this time, I think you're really fast.. sorry again. :P

Tsmuktengan

Just a question and I go back from where I was : do you plan sometime to help in placing words for some Na'vi songs with real meaning? I remember you mentionning this somewhere.  :)

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on February 02, 2012, 02:01:17 PM
Just a question and I go back from where I was : do you plan sometime to help in placing words for some Na'vi songs with real meaning? I remember you mentionning this somewhere.  :)

I know. in tk's thread..

I would do this later.. but it's a bit hard for me, I'm not a literature major, and some other songs are really... only that several syllables repeating, really needs to be rewritten..
btw you may share your thoughts here directly, it seems the people good at Na'vi nowadays doesn't interested as Avatar music as before. :'(

Tsmuktengan

Finish your current work first, but I think there are a few people experienced with Na'vi that will certainly help. Before writing these songs in Na'vi for accompanying the great music, we will probably need to imagine the songs's spirits using english.  :)

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on February 02, 2012, 06:34:54 PM
Finish your current work first, but I think there are a few people experienced with Na'vi that will certainly help. Before writing these songs in Na'vi for accompanying the great music, we will probably need to imagine the songs's spirits using english.  :)

Le'eylan had tried to do this, at that time being close to the syllables given was more important, but still a nice theme there - just something like "finished learning, and reached the teacher's level"... sounds very nice though, but eventually I still can't accept something sung/spoken completely sounds different, or following this old way with a lot of limits on choosing word...

Actually there's nothing to wait if I'm using 100% leisure time for this project, as it would be cool to be part of it, and this isn't something requires hands so much, I don't have to sit for a couple of hours to write one sentence... do day by day and brainstorm the ideas 24/7 would be fine. ;)

People.. hmm there are quite a number of people experienced with the language, but the point is I really doubt they concern anything related to the music of Avatar. Fan-fics and poems are so popular, song translations just simply FLOODS; but when this two are mixed up, dead air. I have experiences on this. Quite a lot.

Tsmuktengan

There isn't only fan-fic around the language. Poems and songs are great to give the language even more life and culture. There are other songs that have been composed and written in Na'vi remember.  ;)

I just fear the moment when you have the ideas and some possibilities of lyrics in englis, and the difficulty to find just the right words in Na'vi with the proper soudns and syllables. It could be much more difficult than you say, yet the result can be impressive.

This could be the chance to compose and create some new words if some feeling or notions are required to be described in the song.