Avatar Sheet Music - The Complete Score (5th Version)

Started by Ikran Ahiyìk, January 01, 2011, 03:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on February 04, 2012, 03:50:33 PM
There isn't only fan-fic around the language. Poems and songs are great to give the language even more life and culture. There are other songs that have been composed and written in Na'vi remember.  ;)

I just fear the moment when you have the ideas and some possibilities of lyrics in englis, and the difficulty to find just the right words in Na'vi with the proper soudns and syllables. It could be much more difficult than you say, yet the result can be impressive.

This could be the chance to compose and create some new words if some feeling or notions are required to be described in the song.

In Na'vi, yes, a lot. Movie music related, sorry, either I can't see or it's only something with very little concern, nowadays.

Since I can't speak neither Na'vi or English in a level nearly reaches the native speakers, there isn't a big difference for me to think of the content directly in which language. ;) And the syllables.. we can write some new things sometimes, just don't let the original sound brainwash us too deep and don't accept any new sounds, then it's fine..

Put a marker here:

I'm the viewer of the 4004th view. 8)
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Tsmuktengan

You have got the musical knowledge and the syllables. Many people around here have native english knowledge, several other people have Na'vi knowledge.

With great music, writing great and powerful lyrics, we can make it.  ;)

Kxeyo

I know this is a bad excuse, but when I wanted to post here today my internet was gone and now I'm not in the mood for it anymore. So...hope to comment on this tomorrow. Sorry for not doing this earlier.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on February 05, 2012, 12:05:09 PM
You have got the musical knowledge and the syllables. Many people around here have native english knowledge, several other people have Na'vi knowledge.

Oh but it really need some time for me quite down and think of the plot..

Quote from: Kxeyo Te Eanari Tsenu'itan on February 07, 2012, 04:45:34 PM
I know this is a bad excuse, but when I wanted to post here today my internet was gone and now I'm not in the mood for it anymore. So...hope to comment on this tomorrow. Sorry for not doing this earlier.

Internet problem is really annoying. ... btw I have some other sheets to do this few days, so feel free to post later.. :)

Ikran Makto now. :D

Kxeyo

A small note: Not commenting on a few tracks here and there always means that there's nothing more to discuss, that everything's alright, that we discussed what we had to discussed but mainly it means that you did a great job. Alright? ;)

Scorched Earth

2981-2984: Which sonata is that? I bet I know it, I like Beethoven, but I don't remember. Anyway, you listen to so much classical music that you propably know anything. :P
3031-3041: Like this much better. Sf is enough, it works. Eco indeed refers to the top voice and sorry I've been to blind to see other passages where this should appear. In the original score, the top voice you wrote is nothing but the echo of the main voice. ;)
You're a beginner at composing, alright. Still it's pretty good for that. A bit odd at the end, but it's fine. It fits nicely in and people that don't know the score well won't notice. :D

Quaritch Pulls the Plug

3415: Almost good! Will there be pedal in this track? That should do the job! ;)
I've seen stringendo several times, was a good idea to add that. :P
Expressions ok, just...do you know what I mean by "less pleasant"? I'm one of those who likes extreme stuff, I gotta admit. That's why I also like very silent and very loud sections in pieces and sections that couldn't sound more strange while others couldn't sound more pleasant. And when I think of the niece parts in this piece there's only one short section which I would leave untouched: 3414-3417. The rest is...like Quaritch messed with everything that was nice once before. And therefore it's gotta sound unpleasant. Just keep it like it is, but don't be surprised if that idea pops up in other tracks from now on. We're at war! (Hope you get the joke... ;D )

No Reasoning

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help! :D

Quaritch

Con bravura implies, in my opinion, that Quaritch is a person that can trick people and is really smart. Well...what I want to say is that the term doesn't fit. I'd go for a simple Grave or Feroce.

Quote3548-3551 maybe lacks bass, do you think so?

Possibly. What do you mean by that? That the sections not dark enough? I don't know. I guess it's alright this way, but if you want to change it, do it.
I don't understand why you can't remove one sharp and go for c# minor. Shouldn't there be more space and not less? :-\

What do you want to express with Acceso? I would have used Serioso.
One last thing: The presto agitato section could also work with sf again.

The Destruction of Hometree

Choose whichever key signature is more accurate, I'd say. If you have to edit something more for it, that's not too bad, is it? :-\
The tremoli notation always been fine to me. If you add trem. to anything anyway, you also don't need to do stick to one version with 32nds or 64ths or whatever. It's ok like this, I think. You told me it's as frequent as possible (and as appropriated), so just keep it like that.
Now the expressions...as I've said somewhere before, Allegrissimo implies something positive. Allegro literally means "cheerful". We'd better go for something like...bellicoso, straight away! This will be used somewhere else again, I already know. ;)
Lamentando can be replaced by flebile if you want to use a new term. I think we got lamentando somewhere already.
The section from 3528 to 3843 should use sf again. Same style as before.
3850 onwards: Totally keep that. It adds to the sound! Just that problem between 3858 and 3859 worries me. Is that actually noticeable? Can't you change it? It's pretty hard to realize.
We need a big crescendo starting at 3921! To create tension. ::)
The tremolo in 3953 might be a bit too much. I'd remove it.

Nice one! I think this is one of your best arrangements!
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

Ikran Ahiyìk

OK then this is now our assumption. :)

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on February 05, 2012, 12:05:09 PM

A line pop to my head for the first 5 notes

Tswayon karyupxel, ...

I found that I can't think them wherever I'm, since I am not familiar that much to the vocabulary.. I must sit down to work this.

Report :

Scorched Earth

The pattern.. I always don't like to spell a word like this, so I just give you the opus number - 13. Should be in the second last phrase in its exposition of movement I, as well as the corresponding place in the recapitulation.
Oh yeah piano needs some 4- or 5- notes chord sometimes. ;)
It's for modulation mainly, and also darken the mood.. although I've no idea what is the scene the listener supposed to think of in this place.. since it's just an alternative version of the one now in movie...

Quaritch Pulls the Plug

Assume the pedal use depends freely on the player.. (you mean the rightmost pedal right?)
Simply have no idea to make it more extreme.. or this becomes the player's task. Oh a big sorry I'm really out of the pop culture.. uncertain about the joke.. this just blows your mood away :P

Quaritch, MIDI

Feroce now.
Bass added, sounds brilliant! for me. :D
Don't forget then the A will need an accidental, this line at the top can no more contain 4 bars.
Serioso now.
This distribution of sf still a bit odd to me when I submit, after the edit. Take a look..

The Destruction of Hometree, MIDI

The E minor option is chosen.
I've made the one in Grave part now also 64ths.
How about Semplice bellicoso?
Flebile's fine. Just to note that this is used in track 41, according to my current memory..
3528 to 3843? I think you mean 3828-, but I don't see a great need in 3828-3837 except the octave in 3834. The following part's done.
Now every tremoli are in the style of the later part, 6th + single note.
Crescendo's done.
Instead of removing it, I changed it into 4th. There's tension I think, actually..

Thanks for this.. but this is a referenced arrangement.... of course you know there's only a few arrangements are available, and they're always incomplete. Referenced part mainly is in the page 3736.. Very difficult to tell those notes accurately by ear..
I'd vote for several tracks in the War series to be the best. Please look forward to review it. ;D

Pre-commenting Notes :

Shutting Down Grace's Lab

3973-3977: They should be in the similar pitch, but since there are too much overlapping, piano just sucks at this, I make one of the an octave higher. This connects the following part well.
Tempo is more free in this track.
3992, 3993: that notes.. as frequent as you can. I want to create the dynamic effect as human voice, but is this the best way possible?
I guess freddo is not suitable, just like in Climbing Iknimaya and Who Am I.
4015-4021: repeating note again. Similar to 4009-4013, but functions like the tremoli.
4025-: tramoli are neither in correct use or the one marked trem., but just the pattern as the 12's. Since they're from 32nds, I should make the tremoli 32nds also.
4034: started on-beat.
4034-4037: may / should omit the first note of each tremolo.

Escape from Hell's Gate

4064: actually I can hear something here other than all in the sheet, but it will make the sheet too complicated, and there's lack of space.
4093: cut the trill for a short moment.
4195-4197: is D flat a good choice?

Help for Grace

4275-4279: those quarter notes are imagined.

Bonding with Leonopteryx

I'm not sure whether I should change to key signature to entirely D minor or not. The same pattern's in track 29 but clearly there's only a few F# minor content here.
4314: tempo in MIDI is wrong, should accord to the sheet.
4330: literally the 4314 section is faster in tempo, but since its "1 bar 2 beats" sense is quite strong, 140bpm seems faster than that.

Funeral Chant

Note length may vary too much.

Prayers for Grace

Beats are difficult to count in the quiet section..
Bug in creating MIDI, I have no idea why the ties doesn't work with tremoli.
4403-: two methods to play the bass - single or both hands.

Grace's Death

One of the revised track in August 2011, you need the Deluxe version after 4444.

That's all today.. 11 pm, not too late but I'm tired..
The 11th verse is the most dense one.. only 15 minutes for 7 tracks.

Hmm.. A new name. :P

Edit: Hmm.. Back again.

Ikran Ahiyìk

* means the video(s) doesn't contain 100% of the arranging source.

Kxeyo

Quaritch Pulls the Plug

Well, I've said "We're at war" because in the movie the war starts with Scorched Earth and since we're already past that, I thought that would quite fit. There aren't supposed to be pleasant sections in a war piece. Now understand? If not, forget about it. :P

Quaritch

Oh, now I see what you wanted to do! Sure, keep the bass. ;)

QuoteDon't forget then the A will need an accidental, this line at the top can no more contain 4 bars.

Sorry, I don't understand what you want to tell me.

There lots of sf's now, I know. I still think we need them...

Straight away: I'm so sorry about telling you to change lamentando, this is used nowhere in your arrangement before. Flebile, though, is being used twice already later! (In track 28 itself and track 44) Change it again? I'm...really sorry. :-[
All in all, this piece looks good to me now. We could sell it now, it's that well-made! :P

Don't be too self-critical here. It's not necessary. I know this is hard to hear, I actually thought that was something you improvised. Anyway, the difficult part does only work as kind of a "sound effect", it's not about finding the correct melody.

A very simple way to get rid of the freddo came to my mind: Use "In modo di Elegia". Maybe you could even replace the Adagio dolente by it? So put my suggestion on top of the page and dolente simply in 4001 instead of freddo.
Start seems ok to me, even 3992/3. What makes this piece difficult to listen to is the strong rhythm, it's not the different techniques making the melody sound very much like human voice. I'm talking about the section from 4007 to 4021. What comes up later should be played differently you said, so I simply ignore this right now. Only one thing: Keep these first notes (you wanted to omit) in brackets, that's fine.

Escape from Hell's Gate

Sure you don't want to put that in? That's one of these rare piano sections in the whole score. :P
The modified D doesn't sound wrong to me. Ok to use.

More later...
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Ikran Ahiyìk

See you again finally.. :)

Report Review :

Quaritch Pulls the Plug

I thought it's an idiom.. so now totally get it..
The mark separating Book I and II's very obvious. Even the DVD does the same.. ;)

Quaritch

Very good now with bass.. I don't know why I didn't put that in.. although that time was March 2010..
Focus on 3585-3588, you know there's the most frequent and simple theme, appeared about 72 times, always with a sharp (or neutralising a flat), but they're gone here because the incorrect use of key signature. But if I change it back to the correct one, c# minor, each bar here will need one accidental sharp more. You see the space is lacking here already, still go 4 sharps more? Explode. Then three bars left, and 3588 goes under 3585.. every rightmost bar goes down, including the bottom right corner one. Since 3609 is a new passage, I want to keep it at the starting point of a page, then I can't use the c* minor key signature..
You think there should be more sf's? :o

Change back maybe.. but this depends on the meaning mainly.. which one you think is better if the whole book becomes only this page left?
So, the official one listed out the "hidden notes", but they're simply not enough for creating tension, so it becomes the sheet now..

Mon Tue Wed.. I all slept at 3am ... Now I'm already very sleepy.. Reply you the rest tomorrow.. I'd consider the piano part in Hell's Gate. :)

Just let you know what I'm doing these days..: preparing some another parts of version 5.. you know, the pictures.. they fill the spaces along the sheets.. I've just finished planning where to place which picture. 76 pictures grabbed, including some fan art and concept art pictures.. it's incredibly amazing to me when I first see how they combined with the sheets.. There are some whole blank pages, you still can't see where are them by reading the sheet book available now. ;) Some will be placed under the score, in very light colors.
A middle-sized task I have to do - giving descriptions for each picture not covered by the score, in one Na'vi sentence and another English sentence...

Ikran Ahiyìk

Report :

Everything's followed.. Just want to know what Elegia is exactly. The rock song..?

Escape from Hell's Gate, MIDI

Absolutely awesome now. Just check the chords please.. ;D

Kxeyo

Quaritch

I didn't ever notice the theme appears here in a different way. It makes no difference to the ordinary listener, I guess. You can't change it anyway, so don't do it.
I wanted to say that these sf's might not please you, but they don't bother me and I think they are important, so they have to be kept in.

Change the expression back, like I never said something. It's better.

It's some sort of genre. In English it's called Elegy.

Stravinsky elegie viola solo 1944

Escape from Hell's Gate

4072-4075 sounds a bit weird to me, I don't know.

Help For Grace

A few ideas:
1. Use soft pedal, mainly on page 1.
2. You should maybe focus less on rhythm, starting from 4241. Eighth notes are sufficient and they leave more space.
3. Sostenuto pedal could be nice on page 3, I'm talking about the tremolo in 4263, 4268 and 4272.
4. Instead of the quarters, did you try dotted half note in 2075 and then tie whole notes over two measures? Or keep it out. I don't really like what you did.

Bonding with Leonopteryx

Marcato is totally wrong, why don't you use dolente? The key though should be changed. D minor is a much better choice.
Use sostenuto pedal again in 4291, 4292 and 4302 (if that works).
So the whole piece seems faster? Or is faster? ???

Funeral Chant

No need to change anything, except that you might use free time as a tempo since there's no bar indication.

Prayers for Grace

I'm aware of the MIDI bug, this happens often. Are you sure it's a bug though? Or it's the way you added the notes into the sheet?

This is by far, and I wasn't aware of this for a long time, the most beautiful section in the whole score. I'm not sure if devoto fits here. I'd go for the very long term leggerissimamente (e tranquillo). Time could be Adagietto or Andante moderato. What I also want you to be aware of is the dynamic contrast in this track right at the beginning and the need of pedal in the whole track.

Grace's Death

I guess I cannot comment on this. The track sounds strange to me, btw.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Ikran Ahiyìk

Report :

Quaritch

I can use the correct key signature with changing the 16ths under that theme into small notes. Is this better than leaving it like now?
If you mean the sf's in 3659-3676, I'd say they're totally fine. I don't know how about the section from 3687, need sf's also?

Escape from Hell's Gate

They are 4 in a group, so one bar have 3 groups. Unlike the arpeggios before, this grouping hints there will be change in rhythm. The 6/8 long section is actually a mix of 6/8 and 3/4.. ::)

Help For Grace

1. Done.
2. I'm not so agree with this.. if it's done, there will be less contrast in 4249 / 4250.
3. There's one already, but it's used to sustain the D's. Tremoli always need the normal pedal, it's assumed that the player will know how weird to play the tramoli without any pedal.. The reason to sustain D is because of there are pedal changes for the tramoli, and these D's are important.
4. In 4472-4475 (last 4 bars of Grace's Death) there's something similar to this. After considering this point if you still think your plan is better, please explain it more. :P I don't get it at all...

Bonding with Leonopteryx

So it's dolente and D minor now.
The same structure of pedal with the previous track.
Actually I mean something like: 4306 104 bpm, 4314 156bpm, 4330 140bpm, you will think this is another error of tempo marking again. But let's consider the strong dotted-quarter-note-rhythm in the 4314 section.

Funeral Chant

I added [ ] to the tempo markers.

Prayers for Grace

Oh.. not MIDI bug, but Sibelius bug. I'm sure I'm typing TIES but it just doesn't recognise it if a tremolo is playing together. This problem in audio will be solved later, I planned to record it after break down all the voices.
You mean the contrasts 4349 / 4350 (I think I missed a mp or p in 4350) and 4358 / 4359?
Thank you for your suggestions.. They're all better than mine. :)

Grace's Death

Ikran Ahiyìk

Pre-commenting Notes :

Gathering All the Na'vi Clans for Battle

4490: Any comments on the repeated A?
4499-4505: Notated in tremolo because of there's lack of space only, they should be played at the same pattern as its near passage.
4554: One beat longer than the OST. I'm just following the movie version and make the rhythm more stable.

Quaritch Takes Over

You know this is one of the more recent arrangements, together with the next track. August 2011.
4595-4596: I want the one octave above to be just for the acciaccaturas, but Sibelius recognise it as effective for the whole bar... Just fine if you know what I want it to be here.
4599-4607: Tremoli without "trem." again. With same pattern as nearby passage.
4608-4614: How good or bad the ending? I know the bass isn't enough emphasised.

Battle Plan

A strange use of E major signature. Nothing special.

Jake Prays to Eywa

There will be great difference if pedal is used (and it's supposed to, but not here.)
Arrangement / use of bass maybe the part to be more considered, other than it there's also nothing special.

"We're ..." REALLY "... at war" now.. I wait for you to start together, the most exciting part.. :o

Kxeyo

Quaritch

If the theme really appears in a wrong way, yes. Otherwise it's not necessary.

Help For Grace

2. I'm sorry to say this, but the contrast you're talking of isn't very obvious to listeners, I think.
4. Replace the quarters 4275 and 4276 and turn them into one note. Same with 4277-4279. Or keep it out, like I said.

Bonding with Leonopteryx

I guess you uploaded the wrong file. ::)

Prayers for Grace

Sure, I was talking about the whole section from 4345 to 4360. There's a really big contrast between this and the rest of the piece. ;)

Grace's Death

Actually, I wanted to know which version this is. Never heard it before.

4490: I'd set the tingling sounds (small notes) one octave higher, if possible.
4499-4505: You gotta add simile to that pattern, then it's clear to anyone.
What I really don't get is why you didn't make the whole piece a bit louder. But that's stupid, one can practically play as he wants, so you don't need to change that. Only one thing: Espirando is totally wrong. Use a simple Adagio, that's fine.

Quaritch Takes Over

Almost sounds like 20th-century classical music. Haha! :P

4595-4596: I would have interpreted this right anyway. ::)
4599-4607: Again, use simile. It makes it clear to us.
Use a sfz at the end, done. Or put a crescendo to fff.

Battle Plan

Indeed nothing special. It's just a bit strange, especially the end. Well, it's ok. ;)

Jake Prays to Eywa

The beginning might be not loud enough. Just sayin.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Ikran Ahiyìk

Indeed. Just a minute before going to bed:

http://content.learnnavi.org/sheetmusic/Avatar%20Sheet%20Music%20-%20%22Complete%20Score%22%20Version%205/Stage%202%20Preview/Avatar%2011-4.pdf seems fine for Bonding with Leonopteryx.. I really uploaded it wrongly?

Other things will be carried out tomorrow. :)

Report :

Quaritch

Decided to use small notes. And check out the final bars with added sf's.

Help For Grace

2. I like the current one more.. a rare rejection. :-[
4. You mean some ending like in track 10 or 11? Or one A per bar?

Grace's Death

Movie / 3CD for 4411-4444, the rest are from the Deluxe Edition, it's called Healing Ceremony.

Done, done and done. :P
The soft sound may be because of there are actually many levels of volume raising, but you know MIDI's only some computerized thing, and I don't like to use fff... the difference between these levels would then be small.

Quaritch Takes Over

Done and done.
I've chosen sfz.

Jake Prays to Eywa

p added to the snare drum and at the tempo change then.

Start the war next time..

Ikran Ahiyìk

Pre-commenting notes :

War

4811-4815: Part of the new arrangements, from 3CD/movie version. There's a hidden trumpet voice in the right hand 4814-4815.
4849-4854: RH: now it's still tremolo-like, but I think there is not enough harmony. Repeating octaves would be a better choice.
4880-4883: RH: there are two audiable voices in the soundtrack, here I combinded them into one, with specifying the top voice. Every 2nd note of the groups in length of a 8th note (i.e. 8 groups per bar) is the lower voice, and the 3rd note is added by me.
4885 3rd beat: Probably not the correct chord, maybe it's A natural not A flat, but, see if A natural sounds OK first...

"Let's Attack, Warriors!"

4939-4945: Excluding the final part, this is the only section I've changed the key signature. Is it good to make G sharp minor into A flat minor and remains the signature in 2 flats?
Odds in 4947-4955: "Bells" with tenuto. Is it good to make it one octave higher so that it can be played at the same time of the melody?

The Battle Continues

Generally:
1. Tempo changes should be clearly heard. No such settings in MIDI yet.
2. Those very high pitch breves... You know there is the voice, but should I drop it? It makes the RH part a lot more difficult to play and handle.

Suddenly I'm quite busy these days.. That's all for this time, first. Sorry for giving out these so late if you're waiting for it this week...... :-[

Ikran Ahiyìk

Kxeyo

Yes. Propably. Maybe. I'll take a look at your stuff still this week, I hope. Only 9 tracks left...
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Tsmuktengan

Ikran Ahiyìk

Can't wait to print it out as a book and really play it..

I'll try to get some time to complete the texts also. (no progress in March :-[)