Avatar Sheet Music - The Complete Score (5th Version)

Started by Ikran Ahiyìk, January 01, 2011, 03:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikran Ahiyìk

Yes, to select one from all is very hard. This is the purpose for setting up the vote. When there are several voters, with some of them providing preference orders, the one with highest vote, or support, is coming out. And it's quite hard to listen all of them, it takes 3 hours. For some pieces you don't listen, this somehow reflect you are less familiar with them and you're less likely to vote them. So generally it's fine. And thanks for your vote too, finally it's here. ;)
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Ikran Ahiyìk

Hmm... someone at Youtube sent me a link for the 994-page Avatar orchestral score..

Kxeyo

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on February 22, 2013, 02:48:43 AM
Hmm... someone at Youtube sent me a link for the 994-page Avatar orchestral score..

I'm not sure what to think about that.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Applejack on February 22, 2013, 07:49:59 AM
Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on February 22, 2013, 02:48:43 AM

I'm not sure what to think about that.

I think I should compare it too see if some notes are wrong. Their pitch. Sometimes there's a half step difference.. But basically the style of the arrangement would not be changed.

p.s. It claims it's "complete" but I see through and found at least 50% of the tracks I arranged are missing..

8998th view.

Ikran Ahiyìk

Maybe it's too late to say:

I have confirmed to start practice and play #36 (Gathering All ...) live.
Please do not expect it will come out very soon...

Kxeyo

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on April 11, 2013, 02:25:10 AM

Haha! ;D

At least we know you're practicing!
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

Blue Elf

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on April 11, 2013, 02:25:10 AM
Maybe it's too late to say:

I have confirmed to start practice and play #36 (Gathering All ...) live.
No problem. Good work needs time :)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tsmuktengan

I'm late and did not have the time to look at this, but I look forward to hear the result, the gathering music being my favourite.  :)

Ikran Ahiyìk

It is quite massive. ::)

Quote from: Integrated Notes of Track 1Track 1 / Verse I
"You Don't Dream in Cryo..."
Na'vi: Fko Hahaw slä Unil ke si... (lit. One sleep but do not dream)

The very first track played in the movie... – in fact this is the OST version – the first scene, firstly nothing, and then a random Pandoran forest appears (refers to the arrangement, at b.6), with the camera flying above. This track is arranged from the OST track 1, and it is generally similar to the OR movie version, the 2009 release, with no Earth scenes.

"In cryo you don't dream at all. Doesn't feel like six years."

The title is given by the OST, and probably comes from this line. For Na'vi, the indescribable word "cryo" is simply omitted, change to a simpler phrase, to indicate only how fast the time passes.

This track and the first few tracks of the book differ from the others, because the main part of the movie talks about indigenous people and the forests, but here it is about high-tech space crafts and RDA (Resources Development Administration, the mining company in the movie) compounds, they sound more modern. Most content of these few tracks is about human, in contrary to Na'vi. Examples are on-beat "clicks" with an echo a quarter beat after in b.25-31 bass (similar pattern reappears in t.38) and bright parallel chords in b.111-122 right hand, which is one of the main motifs throughout the whole score, reappears in t.6 b.793-808 and t.25 b.3423-3427 for example.

Tempo of this track changes several times. This is also the hint for dividing this track in to several sections. First, the forest flyover is an introduction, with a short moment showing Jake in the cryo, this is the first section b.1-24. Later, section 2, b.25-60, is showing what in the ISV Venture Star. Section 3, b.61-110 is scenes in the space and fragments about Tom's death, also the transfer of his contract. Section 4, b.111-158 is scenes travelling from the Star to Hell's Gate. After the Valkyrie shuttle lands, it is the last section b.159-221, and it catches t.2 Quaritch's Speech immediately.

Performing Notes of Track 1

PN 1.1 b.12 – It is difficult to count the time of the semiquavers here exactly. It is suggested to play them as arpeggios. Fig 1.1 illustrates it, with the E4 note representing the base note (E1) of the left hand. Furthermore, note that the tuplet is only applied for the top voice.
PN 1.2 b.15-17 – It is recommended to play this tremolo with exact frequency, in semiquavers in tuplet, i.e. without the trem. marker, which is applied to those who find difficult to play both hands on same beats so rapidly; it is highly recommended to play with exact frequency at its ending (ending of b.16), since the right hand part is getting simple and straight.
PN 1.3 b.26-31, 32-34 – Crescendo is applied in these two long duets, but a piano cannot create this effect. One suggested method is applying it to the other voices. Although it is indicated to play the long notes in piano, but you should play them slightly louder or otherwise they will dim to nothing.
PN 1.4 b.63 – This is a very long sostenuto to be held until b.109, sustaining D1, A5, D6 and A6.
PN 1.5 b.79-83 – The D3-voice can be broken down to a long equal quintuplet, with b.80-82 demonstrated in Fig 1.2. The grace D2 notes are for reference only, showing the beat counting marks (count five times a bar) in the score.
PN 1.6 b.88-89 – The frequency of tremolo of the left hand is increasing from b.87 to b.89. Refering to this, the right hand may also follows (trem. effective) or keep it semiquavers (trem. not effective).
PN 1.7 b.93-100 – There are two suggestions for playing this passage: playing the middle voice by the (1) right or (2) left hand. (1) Apply the bold fingerings, playing the two voices like inversed arpeggios. (2) Apply the italic fingerings; omit some notes of the bass tremolo (the first note of that group if there is a bracket) as in the demonstration in Fig 1.3.
PN 1.8 b.123-126 – The top chords are tied in the soundtrack, but it is suggested to play them as slurred on piano, create better crescendo effects.
PN 1.9 b.129-146 – The apparently middle voice, divided into two voices in parallel octaves in the score, is in fact only one in the soundtrack – half of the violas playing the upper one. Play the lower voice dimmer than average except when some notes of the upper voice is missed (b.139-141).
PN 1.10 b.149, 155 – In the right hand part of b.155-157, there are C sharps5, build a triad chord with the other notes. This C sharp is missing in the right hand part of b.149, but there is one in the left hand. Emphasis it.
PN 1.11 b.158-159 – Digital effects in the soundtrack makes the sections before and after this bar having similar rhythm, with only a difference in grouping, 6 in a group before it and 4 after it. While playing the arrangement, change the tempo very smoothly, as unchanged, from b.158 to b.159.

Supplementary Notes of Track 1

SN 1.1 b.1-24, 25 – In the original score, there is nothing – all are bar rests until b.25. This implies that everything before this mark is digital music or sound effects. It is notable to mention that, there is an expression "Start lo Sci-Fi tone" marked in the original score, at the place equivalent to the SN mark in b.18.
SN 1.2 b.102/62-110 – The strings are instructed to play only a perfect 5th D and A. A5 in the arrangement is only an overtone effect, thus the A5 in b.102 is not written as tied although the sostenuto pedal is holding it.
SN 1.3 b.129-146, 180-183, 203-217, 34-42 – The small slurs at the end of each beat in this pattern are following the string instruction in the original score, applied to sections in b.129-217. For b.34-42, the real notes are however not in this pattern, but the output soundtrack sounds like it. The reduction of the strings part (without ties) equivalent to b.41 is shown in Fig 1.4.

View the PDFs here.

Kxeyo

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on May 17, 2013, 09:08:51 AM

Quote from: Integrated Notes of Track 1Track 1 / Verse I
"You Don't Dream in Cryo..."
Na'vi: Fko Hahaw slä Unil ke si... (lit. One sleep but do not dream)

The very first track played in the movie... – in fact this is the OST version – the first scene, firstly nothing, and then a random Pandoran forest appears (refers to the arrangement, at b.6), with the camera flying above. This track is arranged from the OST track 1, and it is generally similar to the OR movie version, the 2009 release, with no Earth scenes.

"In cryo you don't dream at all. Doesn't feel like six years."

The title is given by the OST, and probably comes from this line. For Na'vi, the indescribable word "cryo" is simply omitted, change to a simpler phrase, to indicate only how fast the time passes.

This track and the first few tracks of the book differ from the others, because the main part of the movie talks about indigenous people and the forests, but here it is about high-tech space crafts and RDA (Resources Development Administration, the mining company in the movie) compounds, they sound more modern. Most content of these few tracks is about human, in contrary to Na'vi. Examples are on-beat "clicks" with an echo a quarter beat after in b.25-31 bass (similar pattern reappears in t.38) and bright parallel chords in b.111-122 right hand, which is one of the main motifs throughout the whole score, reappears in t.6 b.793-808 and t.25 b.3423-3427 for example.

Tempo of this track changes several times. This is also the hint for dividing this track in to several sections. First, the forest flyover is an introduction, with a short moment showing Jake in the cryo, this is the first section b.1-24. Later, section 2, b.25-60, is showing what in the ISV Venture Star. Section 3, b.61-110 is scenes in the space and fragments about Tom's death, also the transfer of his contract. Section 4, b.111-158 is scenes travelling from the Star to Hell's Gate. After the Valkyrie shuttle lands, it is the last section b.159-221, and it catches t.2 Quaritch's Speech immediately.

Performing Notes of Track 1

PN 1.1 b.12 – It is difficult to count the time of the semiquavers here exactly. It is suggested to play them as arpeggios. Fig 1.1 illustrates it, with the E4 note representing the base note (E1) of the left hand. Furthermore, note that the tuplet is only applied for the top voice.
PN 1.2 b.15-17 – It is recommended to play this tremolo with exact frequency, in semiquavers in tuplet, i.e. without the trem. marker, which is applied to those who find difficult to play both hands on same beats so rapidly; it is highly recommended to play with exact frequency at its ending (ending of b.16), since the right hand part is getting simple and straight.
PN 1.3 b.26-31, 32-34 – Crescendo is applied in these two long duets, but a piano cannot create this effect. One suggested method is applying it to the other voices. Although it is indicated to play the long notes in piano, but you should play them slightly louder or otherwise they will dim to nothing.
PN 1.4 b.63 – This is a very long sostenuto to be held until b.109, sustaining D1, A5, D6 and A6.
PN 1.5 b.79-83 – The D3-voice can be broken down to a long equal quintuplet, with b.80-82 demonstrated in Fig 1.2. The grace D2 notes are for reference only, showing the beat counting marks (count five times a bar) in the score.
PN 1.6 b.88-89 – The frequency of tremolo of the left hand is increasing from b.87 to b.89. Refering to this, the right hand may also follows (trem. effective) or keep it semiquavers (trem. not effective).
PN 1.7 b.93-100 – There are two suggestions for playing this passage: playing the middle voice by the (1) right or (2) left hand. (1) Apply the bold fingerings, playing the two voices like inversed arpeggios. (2) Apply the italic fingerings; omit some notes of the bass tremolo (the first note of that group if there is a bracket) as in the demonstration in Fig 1.3.
PN 1.8 b.123-126 – The top chords are tied in the soundtrack, but it is suggested to play them as slurred on piano, create better crescendo effects.
PN 1.9 b.129-146 – The apparently middle voice, divided into two voices in parallel octaves in the score, is in fact only one in the soundtrack – half of the violas playing the upper one. Play the lower voice dimmer than average except when some notes of the upper voice is missed (b.139-141).
PN 1.10 b.149, 155 – In the right hand part of b.155-157, there are C sharps5, build a triad chord with the other notes. This C sharp is missing in the right hand part of b.149, but there is one in the left hand. Emphasis it.
PN 1.11 b.158-159 – Digital effects in the soundtrack makes the sections before and after this bar having similar rhythm, with only a difference in grouping, 6 in a group before it and 4 after it. While playing the arrangement, change the tempo very smoothly, as unchanged, from b.158 to b.159.

Supplementary Notes of Track 1

SN 1.1 b.1-24, 25 – In the original score, there is nothing – all are bar rests until b.25. This implies that everything before this mark is digital music or sound effects. It is notable to mention that, there is an expression "Start lo Sci-Fi tone" marked in the original score, at the place equivalent to the SN mark in b.18.
SN 1.2 b.102/62-110 – The strings are instructed to play only a perfect 5th D and A. A5 in the arrangement is only an overtone effect, thus the A5 in b.102 is not written as tied although the sostenuto pedal is holding it.
SN 1.3 b.129-146, 180-183, 203-217, 34-42 – The small slurs at the end of each beat in this pattern are following the string instruction in the original score, applied to sections in b.129-217. For b.34-42, the real notes are however not in this pattern, but the output soundtrack sounds like it. The reduction of the strings part (without ties) equivalent to b.41 is shown in Fig 1.4.

View the PDFs here.

Are you secretly writing a book about your work? This will take some time to fix. :P Sadly, I don't have the deepest musical knowledge in English, so I'm not sure how much I can help.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Applejack on May 18, 2013, 07:59:01 AM

Quote from: Integrated Notes of Track 1...

View the PDFs here.

Are you secretly writing a book about your work? This will take some time to fix. :P Sadly, I don't have the deepest musical knowledge in English, so I'm not sure how much I can help.

Not secretly, this is the scheduled part of the Notes... each track requires one passage of this kind. I'm not sure if it could be checked, I guess the product would be around 60-page long...

Kxeyo

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on May 18, 2013, 11:50:03 AM
Quote from: Applejack on May 18, 2013, 07:59:01 AM

Quote from: Integrated Notes of Track 1...

View the PDFs here.

Not secretly, this is the scheduled part of the Notes... each track requires one passage of this kind. I'm not sure if it could be checked, I guess the product would be around 60-page long...

I don't understand why people give you page numbers. Give me a word count please if you can, pages can be filled with lots of blank space or with tiny font or giant font or pictures or whatever. A word count can't be mistaken much.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Ikran Ahiyìk

http://content.learnnavi.org/sheetmusic/Avatar%20Sheet%20Music%20-%20%22Complete%20Score%22%20Version%206/Drafts/Integrated%20Notes%2013.05.17.pdf

It is font size 9, with Performing Notes and Supplementary Notes in two columns form so there will be only little spaces. The rough guess is around 1 page per track on average, figures not included. OK so the word count is... 40,000 words. (again, very roughly guessed) (Track 1 here is 1,030 as of the May 17 version. I guess it is a bit above average among all tracks.)

Kxeyo

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on May 19, 2013, 09:45:52 AM
http://content.learnnavi.org/sheetmusic/Avatar%20Sheet%20Music%20-%20%22Complete%20Score%22%20Version%206/Drafts/Integrated%20Notes%2013.05.17.pdf

It is font size 9, with Performing Notes and Supplementary Notes in two columns form so there will be only little spaces. The rough guess is around 1 page per track on average, figures not included. OK so the word count is... 40,000 words. (again, very roughly guessed) (Track 1 here is 1,030 as of the May 17 version. I guess it is a bit above average among all tracks.)

For something you have to read word for word and revise, that's hard work and could take, me at least, a week - considering I do nothing else than check on your words. But keep in mind I got to get back to you and ask you if it's alright...so...

At least a month and that'd be optimistic too.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Ikran Ahiyìk

Quote from: Applejack on May 20, 2013, 06:41:16 AM
Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on May 19, 2013, 09:45:52 AM

For something you have to read word for word and revise, that's hard work and could take, me at least, a week - considering I do nothing else than check on your words. But keep in mind I got to get back to you and ask you if it's alright...so...

At least a month and that'd be optimistic too.

This doesn't have to be scheduled dense as such. Now I still can't get a full-time working on the Notes... may take a day up to a week to complete one track.

Kxeyo

Okay, two questions.

You talk about figures (pictures) in your PDF, but where are they? I thought you'd attach them at the end, but there are no pictures. I know there've been soon, so that's why I'm asking.

And secondly, what do you mean with "Verse I, Verse II, ...?"
Oe lu Kxeyo—

Ikran Ahiyìk

http://content.learnnavi.org/sheetmusic/Avatar%20Sheet%20Music%20-%20%22Complete%20Score%22%20Version%206/Drafts/
http://content.learnnavi.org/sheetmusic/Avatar%20Sheet%20Music%20-%20%22Complete%20Score%22%20Version%206/Drafts/Notes%20t01.pdf
My fault for not clarify this.

QuoteNotes for All Tracks
The following is the main part of the Notes, discussing each track in detail. Track means similarly to piece, listed from 1 to 48 in this book, while verse is one level higher than track (t.), there are only 15 verses in this book. Verses are listed in Roman numerals or huge numbers at the top of the starting page. They in fact are the intended track numbers, since this book is originally planned to arrange only the OST.

So all "verses" are themes or sequences of scenes in respect to the OST and its content. At the very very first plan I only intended to do 15 tracks of the OST, with more expansion from War as it is the climax and it has various colors. At that time I was thinking to arrange from the movie (with spoken lines and sound effects mixed) until I've got the Complete Score. The CS allows me to further expand the arrangement. Sooner I realised that then all tracks would be very long (think about the 9 tracks under War now you see combined into a single track), so I broke them down according to the titles in the CS, but I still keep the OST titles (now as verses) to link today's settings to the first plan. ... or say, I don't know how to describe - the OST have some special meanings to me and I would like to keep it and get things linked to it.