Main Menu

Started by Sadao, August 01, 2010, 11:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadao

I don't me to seem like I am spamming with this sorta plug but here I go anyway.  If you haven't yet I strongly recommend joining AVATAR-FORUMS.com.  This site is one of the biggest AVATAR fan sites on the web today, started at the begging of the AVATAR movement and continuing on still.  I am hoping to push for a partnership between this site and AF, so we'll see just need to get some interest going in the right direction.

Payoang

Hm. There really isn't anything that Avatar-Forums can offer that isn't on LearnNavi. This isn't about site competition, but ultimately, there is only so much you can discuss about the world of Avatar. Learning a language holds a higher goal in my book  -- and the community of learners here on LN makes me proud to have created LearnNavi.

Regarding Avatar-Forums... Firstly, it's being run by a company/group of folks (Tundra Solutions, Inc.). They uphold a claim to need $250/month to keep the site running. Ads, affiliate marketing, link shares, SEO propagation, etc. take a higher preference than the focus on a strong and active community, however large it may be. The site is a for-profit business model, and that bothers me.

Regarding a partnership/affiliation (whatever that would involve, and to what means), I have contacted them, several times, actually. If you are officially affiliated with Avatar-Forums, perhaps you can let Lon or whoever else is in charge know. I can be reached at [email protected] .

Sorry if this seems awfully negative; I'm in a cranky mood, so forgive me.

Toruk Makto

OH NOES! CRANKY FOUNDERS! (Or is that flounders?)  ;D

OK, here's my two cents...

In my opinion there is a significant difference in the philosophy and "reason for being" between LearnNavi.org and Avatar-Forums.com. Payoang voiced it well and wasn't very cranky at all, really ;).  You see, I believe the Na'vi language is the glue that is going to help hold the Avatar franchise together in the coming years of sequels and ancillary marketing. As much fun as it is for linguists and language scholars, for many people (me included), supporting lì'fya nìNa'vi is an expression of support for the film and all it stands for. Learning Na'vi is a show of respect for the awesome artistry of the creators of the entire Avatar experience. I hold LearnNavi.org up as a symbol of this.

Many months ago, I made a decision to help provide resource support for Sebastian and LearnNavi so it can thrive and succeed. Some of the main reasons for that decision are the ability and quality of the membership and leaders of LearnNavi.org, as well as the gracious and generous support of the creator of the Na'vi language, Karyu Pawl Frommer. I would not have done this for a more generic, fandom-focused site.

Now, with that said, I believe that Avatar-Forums.com provides a valuable and needed resource to those that like the wider focus on the film and a fandom look-and-feel. I wish them all the success in the world.

ta Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Raiden

I agree with what's already been posted.....

I really prefer Tree-Of-Souls and this place to any of the others.

I have yet to make real use of the materials here, but I have begun reading the language guides, and I can't believe how well-put-together Na'vi is as a language.

Avatar Forums is nice, but it's nice for all the wrong reasons. It's not really a community anymore, it's a business venture.

Sorry, but it was a choice they made.
Trouble keeps me running faster

Save the planet from disaster...

Tsamsiyu92

I like these smaller communities like this one, where everyone knows everyone.

That site takes advantage of your fandom, this site provides you with learning ressources, that site isn't reliable either, the community part there (forum) has been down for quite a while.

And the members here are the nicest you'll find in the hateful lands of the internet. Like they asked for 120$ to keep this site up for the next month and aqquired 165$ in 1.5 day....outstanding indeed.

Ekirä

Give a round of applause to LearnNa'vi members. No matter how great other AVATAR fan forums are, this is my home.

Niwantaw

Here we've got everything we could want. We've got the language stuff... the spam... the random discussions on more or less everything... A fish...
Only mostly AWOL.

Lolet

Have you heard of Tree-of-Souls? I visited once, but they said Ninat had tsaherpes. So I left.

We have a fish?!

Seze

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Lolet

Quote from: Tawtewng on August 05, 2010, 01:46:07 PM
Here we've got everything we could want. We've got the language stuff... the spam... the random discussions on more or less everything... A fish...

and drugs and booze. And parties!

Ekirä

Ok, so from the replies it looks like people's favorite things about the LearnNa'vi forum are:

It's non-profit
That it's a small community
People are generous with money
Language stuff
Spam
Random discussions
A fish
Drugs
Booze
Parties.

What does that say about us? :D

Lolet

Txantslusam Skxawng

WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Ekirä

Nyx

Hrh, nice summary ma Ekirä! I totally agree with all of you, this place and everyone here is just awesome!

Lolet

Quote from: Ekirä on August 05, 2010, 10:19:29 AM
Give a round of applause to LearnNa'vi members. No matter how great other AVATAR fan forums are, this is my home.

This is way better than an other forum I've been on. Seriously, my cavy forum is meaner than this forum.

We totally rock.  8)

Txantslusam Skxawng

Has this been changed into a topic about how awesome this forum and members of it is? :P
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Lolet

Quote from: Txantslusam Skxawng on August 06, 2010, 05:55:51 AM
Has this been changed into a topic about how awesome this forum and members of it is? :P

Oops. Tsap'alute.

But it was inevitable.

Ekirä

Plus, it's been moved to Spam anyway. ;) ;D

archaic

Meanwhile, back on topic.

I registered on AF, read loads, but never felt moved to post, it didn't light my fire.

I think I'll stay here, I like the feel, the community, the people, the promise that one day I might even learn the language, and just about everything else too.

Thank you Payoang for this most awesome site.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.