Can we get 90002 posts?

Started by Sìltsana Mun’iyu, February 03, 2010, 11:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

And how much you tried it? Or lack of time or other reasons always prevent you from longer study?

archaic

A mixture of both TBH.
Back int he early days the only learning materials available were extremely language tech term heavy. I never did understand them, at school the whole thing went over my head.

I think this explains it rather well .....
https://forum.learnnavi.org/beginners/my-poor-understanding-of-english-language-tech-terms-stops-me-dead/msg58771/#msg58771
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Toliman

Yeah,I understand. This can be difficult.

We learned about all these language terms at school very intensive and I still remember it when I started study na'vi.

archaic

It really doesn't help that my first (and sadly only) is English, which I leaned and speak intuitively. English has extremely complicated rules, and it doesn't stick to them, some of the rules that we were told at school are no longer recognized because they are wrong more than they are right.

"I before E, except after C." is a case in point, there are more words in the English language that are exceptions to this rule than words that obey it.

When the foundations of a rule set just don't work, and the rest are tenuous at best, what is the point? There were times in class were it was pointed out that bits of "Correct English" flat out didn't work, were unintelligible or were just plain ludicrous.  English as spoken in the real world contains far, far, far more instances of "Incorrect English" than "Correct English".
Which is something I have always tried to incorporate into my fanfic. It just wouldn't've the same without the odd double contraction here 'n' there.

Vawmataw

Let's talk about French, the orthography and the multiple conjugations ;D
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Quote from: Vawmataw on July 20, 2019, 08:18:25 AM
HRH ;D
I would say that English is relativelly easy language as compared with many other languages.

However also is true that learning of languages is not easy for many people. In my case, I must say that study of math, physic and related things was far more easy then languages study.

archaic

OK, so I'm good with 'talk', 'French' and 'multiple'.
'orthography'?
'conjugations'?

Tìtstewan

Let's talk about German... ;D
...for example, while in English there is only one "the", German has three: "der, die, das". And they change their use or form with plural or case, like: "das Kind", the plural form is "die Kinder", and the genitive plural "der Kinder" (the singular one is "des Kindes")...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

archaic

Well that opened a can of worms, OK, I'll bite .....

'genitive'?

Tìtstewan

Quote from: archaic on July 22, 2019, 12:29:44 PM
'genitive'?
Well, one could say that "genitive case" means, more or less, "possessive case". For example, the word "your" is a possessive case variant of the word "you" that simply contain the information of possession.

(I'm not sure if I've explained this well...)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

archaic

Err.

So, on another matter .....
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lapresse.ca%2Fcinema%2F201907%2F23%2F01-5234823-avatar-le-film-a-grand-succes-presque-oublie.php

And I thank Vawmataw for alerting me to this.
Quote"The fanfictions are few in comparison to those inspired by Star Wars or Harry Potter ."

OK, point taken, I'll get on it.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: archaic on July 25, 2019, 12:46:32 PM
And I thank Vawmataw for alerting me to this.
Quote"The fanfictions are few in comparison to those inspired by Star Wars or Harry Potter ."

OK, point taken, I'll get on it.
But we have only one Avatar movie... Star Wars or Harry Potter has just more than one movie. So there are way more information and inspiration for fanfictions. :-\

Kxanay

But there's possible sequels  :D

Toliman

Quote from: Kxanay on July 26, 2019, 03:10:45 AM
But there's possible sequels  :D
Yeah, maybe it will changa when we finally will get sequels :)

archaic

Harry Potter, 11 movies.
Philosopher's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows Part 1 and 2.

Also .....
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, Untitled third Fantastic Beasts film is currently slated for release November 21, 2021.

Star Wars, 13 movies.
Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Episode II: Attack of the Clones, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Episode VII: The Force Awakens, Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker film is currently slated for release December 20, 2019.

Also .....
Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure, Ewoks: The Battle for Endor, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Plus .....
Star Wars: Ewoks, Star Wars: Droids, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars Resistance, Star Wars Forces of Destiny, Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures, The Mandalorian is currently slated to premiere on November 12, 2019, Untitled Cassian Andor series is currently slated for streaming from November 12, 2019.

And .....
Star Wars Holiday Special.

Not forgetting .....
Blue Harvest, Something, Something, Something, Dark Side, It's a Trap!

Also .....
(still hoping)

archaic

Nothing to see here.

Toliman

Quote from: archaic on July 28, 2019, 07:55:28 AM
Nothing to see here.

Txantsan :) Nice to see that you created something again, I like it!

archaic

Well, there's been comments about an Avatar fanfic deficit.

Harry Potter, the last Horcrux is now firmly on the back burner for the foreseeable future.

Toliman

Quote from: archaic on July 28, 2019, 05:28:53 PM
Well, there's been comments about a absence of Avatar fanfic.
Yeah, I saw them too.

Kxanay

They be all over the interwebs.  ;D