Main Menu

Favorite Na'vi word?

Started by Fortuna, December 21, 2009, 06:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fortuna

Okay guys, here's the deal. Write down your favorite word in Na'vi.  If two people have the same word, the second person must write down their second favorite word as well as their first pick. Also, be sure to write the English definitions- this is a little thing to help us with our vocabulary.

Okay, I'll go first and say mine's sevin, which means 'pretty or beautiful' and is used to describe sentient creatures (ie Humans and Na'vi)

wm.annis

I don't really have a favorite word, but I'm very fond of atxkxe "land" just because Frommer crammed two ejectives right next to each other.  It took guts to hand that to an actor!  :D

Elysio

Maybe the only word which was apart from the others in the movie (and which i heard a lot of times) : tsahaylu "bond" (their neural connection to...everything that lives). I like the sound of the word and what it means, quite essential for Na'vis.

Tirealì'u

Quote from: wm.annis on December 21, 2009, 06:50:07 PM
I don't really have a favorite word, but I'm very fond of atxkxe "land" just because Frommer crammed two ejectives right next to each other.  It took guts to hand that to an actor!  :D

Fi'u. :-D

It is just so fun to say...

Nume fpi sänume

Kelku - Home. It just sounds correct, and was one of the first words besides Kaltxì and Irayo that i learned.

Lora'txum

seze - blue flower. Because it's fun to say, and Seze the ikran was a gorgeous creature.
Eywa ngahu.

Lora'txum
Beautiful(ADJ) Poison(SUB)
Pretty Poison ie - The closest I could get our current vocab to say "Plague", my usual online handle.

Sarkath

I am going to have to say, "Skxawng."  I can use it a lot and it just sounds insulting anyways :P

Chuan

Quote from: Sarkath on December 22, 2009, 01:45:06 AM
I am going to have to say, "Skxawng."  I can use it a lot and it just sounds insulting anyways :P

Agreed, it was the first word I learnt how to say properly. Sounds really cool as well. Still need abit of work on the (clicking sound??) is it supposed to be. I say it as 'sk' with a hash 'k' and then 'own' like the ending of 'clown'

Chuan

Brainiac

Simply Kaltxe :p

I love the way it rolls in your mouth.
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

EPILEFMAN

iveh k'nivi s'di - baby carrier or sling. WHAT A WORD!

Tiri

I am going to have to say, "Skxawng."  I can use it a lot and it just sounds insulting anyways :P

I love how this word sounds outloud.  It really does sound insulting!

kxangangang, "bang", is a very close second!

omängum fra'uti

Tiri took my word!  I think kxangangang is the only example we have of onomatopoeia in Na'vi so far.

I'll come back once I  figure out my second favorite.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Zalorticus

Well, the word Na'vi itself is my favorite word. My second is Skxawng.
Failure is the mother of success.
Soon, we will no longer be the leaves on the wind, but the wind itself.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

shiaru

My favorite one its not what you expect.

Irayo. It just sound perfect n my ears.
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Étienne

I love ting nari. I have no idea why but I love saying it.

Torukmakto

Quote from: Chuan on December 22, 2009, 02:40:56 AM

Agreed, it was the first word I learnt how to say properly. Sounds really cool as well. Still need abit of work on the (clicking sound??) is it supposed to be. I say it as 'sk' with a hash 'k' and then 'own' like the ending of 'clown'

Chuan

Not quite like "clown" ... the final sound should not be "n" but "ng". Imagine if someone was trying to pronounce the word "sing" and they were saying "sin". That's the mistake you're making.

Also, for the ejectives, it's easier than you think. Try to make a sharp "k" sound while holding your breath. It shouldn't be harsh ... it should be sharp. That's "kx". Then try that and say "awng" after it. There'll be a big gap between the "kx" and "awng" at first ... "kx ... awng". Work on decreasing that. Then you can try it with "s" in front.

My favourite word is "tsawl" meaning "big (in stature)".

shiaru

my newest favorite word of the day is.....

tsmukan
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Ptxèrra

vrrtep, sounds funny, lovely to say to someone.
also nari, its indeed a lovely word.

skxawng is third.
Oel ayngati kameie i was there

remember power corrups, absolute power..... is a whole lot of fun.
Sheepies: They just eat grass until something kills them,  it might as well be you!!

Eywayä mokri

Well...not a word but a sentence.

I just like repeating this sentence all over again and again: "Fivrrtep fitsenge lu kxanì."

:)
°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

Is.