Linguistics Backgrounds

Started by Tengfya swizaw, January 09, 2010, 04:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Pizayu

I'm majoring in Mandarin and General Linguistics this year (third and final year at Uni). I also plan to minor in Applied English Language Studies.
Apart form my studies, I'm also fluent in Afrikaans and English.

I'm going to take up Japanese, Spanish and Na'vi this year.
Kip Pizayu - Among an Ancestor

Tanhì Tireafya'o

Quote from: Ki_Lin_7 on January 12, 2010, 10:26:05 AM
Quote from: Tanhì Tireafya'o on January 11, 2010, 09:09:43 AM
Papiamentu - Raised with since birth
Papiamentu? Wat is dit? If you don't mind my asking
It's the language spoken on the Netherlands-Antilles. (Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao...)

Son of The Eastern Sea Ikran Tribe

Pandora, is all our earth could have been

Kìte'eyä Aungia

I'm 20 and in my third year of linguistics undergrad at the University of Toronto. I'm also studying computer science and cognitive science. Aside from English, I speak a little Croatian, I did 3 years of French in high school, and I've been studying Spanish for just over a year now.

Lythienne

19 and have had nothing to do with languages except some highschool forays into french and spanish (both utterly forgotten)  I halfheartedly made a few attempts at learning Japanese, which i plan on revisiting in a more formal setting in college.  Na'vi is my first real attempt at learning a new language and its difficult.  I'm currently in my first year of college, and plan to be majoring in biology and animal science, and minoring in equine science (i want to be a vet)
"You can drop the disaffected emo nerd into the jungles of Pandora, but sometimes he can't see the giant alien forest for the floating mountains." - Jim Wright

Doxy

Quote from: Txur'Itan on January 12, 2010, 05:27:21 PM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 12, 2010, 04:36:42 PM
Quote from: wm.annis on January 12, 2010, 04:33:54 PM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 12, 2010, 04:14:01 PMNERD! :P

Having the Klingon dictionary is more nerdy than inventing my own languages?

Yes, because only nerds watch Star Trek :P

(Joking aside, your extreme passion towards linguistics is awe inspiring, well done sir)

LOL!
Pot say hi to the kettle... 
Don't you have something to say to the kettle?

jIjatlhpu' 'oH DaSovchugh vaj nerd lIjtaHbej.(cure ghajbe' HochHom 'ej. qaQos. :/)

Haha, everyone says Klingon has no real life value. Well, maybe not in a day-to-day sense, but in a linguistic sense Klingon is a wonderful thing to pursue. It's fun, challenging, and to gain even a decent grasp of Klingon syntax is to train your mind to another way of thinking (Klingon Grammar works backwards, like LoD QIp targh, "Man hit targ", actually means "The Targ hits the Man.")
It makes adjusting to simpler, human languages go bye like a breeze. Not to mention, learning Klingon means alot of time thinktanking with Klingon speaking friends to deceipher it's details.

It creates connections, you know? In your brain. No linguistic pursuit is ever a waste of time.  :D :D

(And yes, I am certainly a nerd.  8))

Seze

I studied some Spanish in HS and in College, mostly forgotten now.  The only other languages I am fluent in are languages like C, Java, PHP, Obj-C, and C#, but I don't think those count in this discussion...

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I speek diuhbeetus if dhat countsuh tuu. [from that funny diabetes commercial with the fat guy]
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Ikabob

Personally I took 4 years of Spanish in highschool and am constantly around it when I am home due to who I play soccer with.  Currently I am in college and am going to minor in Japanese, only in my 2nd year atm though.  After this I still have to learn German, French, and Russian from friends.  Its all in my plans, but yea it is slowly coming around.
When college takes up all your time... What can you really do?

Skype: Ikabob13         PSN: TR4NZ-N1GH7M4R3        Steam: N1GH7M4R3

Txen Seri Unil

Quote from: Kip Pizayu on January 13, 2010, 10:43:43 AM
I'm majoring in Mandarin and General Linguistics this year (third and final year at Uni). I also plan to minor in Applied English Language Studies.
Apart form my studies, I'm also fluent in Afrikaans and English.

I'm going to take up Japanese, Spanish and Na'vi this year.
Kaltxi!

You are a man after my own heart. I also plan on learning Japanese and Spanish (Na'vi is a given).

If you don't mind my asking, what is "Applied English Language"? It sounds interesting.

On-Topic: I speak English and have a below average grasp of it's structure.

Eywa ngahu,
Txen Seri Unil

Old name: Rawveggie. Upgraded to Na'vi name.

Txen Seri Unil = Awake + Make (present continuing tense) + Dream = Waking Dream

"The words are like stones in my heart." -Jake Sully
(Aylì'u lu na tskxe mì oeyä txe'lan. - Na'vi translation from script)

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Txen Seri Unil on January 16, 2010, 01:26:01 AM
Kaltxi!

You are a man after my own heart. I also plan on learning Japanese and Spanish (Na'vi is a given).

If you don't mind my asking, what is "Applied English Language"? It sounds interesting.

On-Topic: I speak English and have a below average grasp of it's structure.

Eywa ngahu,
Txen Seri Unil
Don't worry that's how most Americans are. hehehe
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite