My Encounter With "The Tree of Stupidity"

Started by Mako, January 16, 2010, 01:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mako

Lehrrap dubbed the tree I tried to climb yesterday "The Tree of Stupidity". So I decided to post a few pics and give some explanations for how to protect your arms (short of wearing long sleves) and not fall out of trees.

So here we go:

Left arm, the worse one.

Right arm, somewhat better.

-----------------------

Right. Here's my tips:

When climbing a tree 10ft off the ground upside down, you:

A. Might want to have friends present to help you out. In my case, I fell the first time, landing on my butt pretty darn hard.

B. Will want to have greaves on. For those of you who don't know what a greave is, it's a metal, leather, or other material that protects your arms. I am going to make mine out of leather, hopefully.

C. Have some experience getting on top of a tree limb from a position underneath it.

----------------------

So yeah. There you go. You are now free to make fun of me :P

Na'rìng

I used to climb trees... Never fell once... I even jump from tree to tree, and was nicknamed "the flying squirrel", lol!
Eywa ngahu ma smukan.
Eywa'evengä yawne lu oeru.

It kraon. XD!!! (Speak it the Na'vi way)

bagget00

I used to climb on top of the swings at the jungle gyms. Got my hand stunk in the pivot for the chain on a swing and haven't climbed a swing like that since.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: bagget00 on January 18, 2010, 12:46:04 AM
I used to climb on top of the swings at the jungle gyms. Got my hand stunk in the pivot for the chain on a swing and haven't climbed a swing like that since.

Pam kawng. :(
Sounds bad. :(

Any permanent injuries?
Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite

bagget00

No. But I did break my left ring finger sideways at the base of the finger on another attempt at jumping from one bar to the other. The bar went between my middle and my ring fingers and snapped the ring finger only. I was doing the permanent spock farewell sign until they broke it back in place. Nothing permanent so far. Thank god.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

Robert Nantangä Tirea

I have to admit that while daily life gives less time to enjoy the simple pleasures in life, climbing a tree never gets old.

It's fun, a great workout, and a sense of suppense and achievement once you make it to the top.

So the next time you're tempted to be "bored", go climb a tree!!!

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Ftiafpi

Yeah, I used to climb trees, never fallen out of one though. I used to climb 20+ foot tall trees when I was 10 or so, ahh the fun of living on an island in Maine for two year, nothing much else to do.

Na'rìng

I still say it's hard to beat the feeling of accomplishment when you jump from tree to tree while you are acting like a kid :).
Eywa ngahu ma smukan.
Eywa'evengä yawne lu oeru.

It kraon. XD!!! (Speak it the Na'vi way)

bagget00

Mako

Wow. I don't feel like such a failure anymore :P I can't wait to try again after I get my greaves made.

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: bagget00 on January 18, 2010, 09:25:12 PM
No. But I did break my left ring finger sideways at the base of the finger on another attempt at jumping from one bar to the other. The bar went between my middle and my ring fingers and snapped the ring finger only. I was doing the permanent spock farewell sign until they broke it back in place. Nothing permanent so far. Thank god.

Ouch!  :o Well, at least it wasn't permanent.
Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite

keye'ung makto

Quote from: Sänumeyu on January 19, 2010, 04:26:20 PM
Wow. I don't feel like such a failure anymore :P I can't wait to try again after I get my greaves made.

greaves are leg armor...

bracers, vambraces and gauntlets usualy cover arms pauldrons shoulders  ect

Mako

I r going to kill you. Wait! Na'vi time!

Oe ngati tsaypang!

Good catch. Bracers, then. Can't wait to make my bracers :P

keye'ung makto

lol sorry

bracers are a good call. if you want ill look around and see if i have one laying around  if i still have it it's made of leather about 1/4th inch thick
i havent used them since making my last bow so i might save you some cash

Mako

Ma tsmuk, if you've got bracers, then you're the most epic person I've ever met :P

keye'ung makto

lol you need to have them when you shoot bows off or you get what archers call "bow bite"  if you are holding the bow correctly  everytime the arrow is loosed the string will snip at the inside of your arm  a bracer prevents that

Mako

My shot isn't bad, I've got a callous there, but sometimes I curve my arm just a little bit to prevent that. Did you find it?

keye'ung makto

im still looking 

got alot to do right now, it's probbably in a box  somewhere   ill have to unpack  it and see if its there

Mako

keye'ung makto

i did a check and i can not find it, all i found was my practice bow and some blunt arrows.

ill continue looking but i dont think i have it anymore