Need suggestions on image editing.

Started by ~Ayngahu, March 07, 2010, 09:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~Ayngahu

I'm in the process of writing a roleplaying campaign in the Fallout universe (post nuclear war setting). I've gone to google maps and printscreened/pasted satelite images, ending up with a full map of Illinois state. I want the players to have a blank map for exploring.

I'd just want to convert it abit, from something like this:

.... to something like this:

Ofcourse, it would require alot of work to get such details, but I could easily settle for less (or even a simple outline of the rivers etc. as black on white.. but a bit of colour would be cool). I suspect that alot of suggestions will be for photoshop - which I don't know very well - so I would appreciate as many details as possible (program feature usage and such included) that might help me.

I basically just want to replace the cropfields and the greens with a rocky barren yellow look, make the rivers brown etc. :) The map I have is 1600 x 2700 pix dimentions, so I hope for a technique that allows me to convert the entire map in a few hours work only.

Thankyou very much :D
A big thankyou to DrBinder for creating my forum avatar :)

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Maybe you can do something with a mix of sepia and colourized effect in Photoshop.
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Utrayä Mokri

1. Open the image in photoshop..

2. Press Ctrl+Shift+U for desaturate it.

3. Then Press Ctrl+U for open Hue/Saturation popup box. Click "Colorize" check box at the bottom left side of the popup box. Set Hue: 0, Saturation: +20, Lighting: 0, press OK.

4. Press Ctrl+B for open Color Balance dialog box. Set Color Levels to: +30, +15, -50. Tone Balance needs to be selected as Midtones. Press Ok.

It's Done in 3 minutes. Good Luck.

Merhaba! Hello! Mae Govannen! Kaltxì!

Oel tsati omum nìngay san Utral Aymokriyä sìk, slä oe zamup mì tìyawn plltxea Neytiriyä na san Utrayä Mokri sìk.

~Ayngahu

Quote from: Utrayä Mokri on March 07, 2010, 05:58:09 PM
1. Open the image in photoshop..

2. Press Ctrl+Shift+U for desaturate it.

3. Then Press Ctrl+U for open Hue/Saturation popup box. Click "Colorize" check box at the bottom left side of the popup box. Set Hue: 0, Saturation: +20, Lighting: 0, press OK.

4. Press Ctrl+B for open Color Balance dialog box. Set Color Levels to: +30, +15, -50. Tone Balance needs to be selected as Midtones. Press Ok.

It's Done in 3 minutes. Good Luck.

I currently don't have photoshop, but it's easy to download and comes with a 30 day trial.
However, if I want to keep photoshop, I take it I have to buy a license (of which I'm not sure, as I'm not very skilled using it). How (in)expensive is it?
A big thankyou to DrBinder for creating my forum avatar :)