Physically Becoming Na'vi - The Na'vi Genome Project

Started by xXJakeSullyXx, January 30, 2011, 10:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xXJakeSullyXx

Quote from: Payoang on January 31, 2011, 02:16:25 AM
Alright, can we take it down a coupla notches? Thanks.

Alex: Can you, in detail, explain how this project will work, and how (if in any way) LearnNavi members would be of assistance? I'd love to hear your input.

Irayo, Payoang.  

I will subtitle each piece of information for everyone's convenience.  

Gene Therapy

This is currently our most promising theory.  Before I start explaining, here's a glossary of terms so that those without a background in science will know what I am talking about:

Genetic Vector - the method used for implementing foreign genetic material engineered in a lab.  A common example is a non-pathogenic adenovirus (see the next two definitions).  
Non-pathogenic - a substance that causes desired effects without causing disease or other medical issues.  
Adenovirus - a common type of virus.  
Retrovirus - a virus that, chemically speaking, behaves like HIV.  
Gene - the functional unit of genetic material for expression of traits phenotypically.  
Phenotype - the expression of genes physically.  
Genotype - the expression of genes molecularly.  
Plasmid - material extracted from bacteria; common genetic vector.  
Naked DNA - DNA that is injectable without any form of genetic vector used for implementation; not very effective.  

First, the gene(s) for the trait that is going to be changed would have to be isolated.  This can be done in a laboratory setting through careful study.  Once isolated, the gene could be synthetically altered to express itself in the desired manner.  For example, the genes for skin pigmentation could be altered to produce blue pigments instead of melanin.  Upon the successful modification of the gene(s) required, a genetic vector appropriate for the situation would have to be chosen.  This would probably be a non-pathogenic virus, perhaps of the adenovirus or retrovirus family, but other methods could also be used.  For example, plasmids from bacteria could be chemically altered to carry the modified gene, or the gene itself could be directly injected.  Once a vector is decided upon and is developed successfully, it may be injected into the recipient either locally or into the bloodstream.  The latter is probably more practical for most situations.  Upon the next mitotic cycle, the genes would begin to express themselves in the patient.  Done for each different trait, this could yield the required changes.  

It should be noted that the most difficult thing to change is the height.  I am still contemplating how that could be done, as extreme growth can cause spinal damage.  In fact, growth to three meters in height could cause paralysis or even death.  This is why height modification might not be possible in this circumstance.  

Note:  a list of required changes can be found at http://navigenomeproject.weebly.com/development.html

The Avatar Program

Glossary of terms:

Undifferentiated - not specialized as a particular type of cell yet; still a precursor.  
Somatic - literally, 'of the body', meaning it is in a diploid state.  
Diploid - containing two sets of chromosomes.
Haploid - containing one set of chromosomes, i.e. sperm/eggs
Zygote - result of the binding of two germ cells; precursor to a fetus.  
Neocortex - the part of the brain responsible for higher thinking and the consciousness.  

Initiating something similar to the fictional Avatar Program would be extremely difficult.  First, each patient would have to have an undifferentiated somatic cell removed.  Gene therapy would then be applied to the cell under controlled conditions to yield a Na'vi baby.  The nucleus of that cell would then be removed by an ultra-thin needle (this can already be done by certain techniques - if anyone would like a video of the process, I can retrieve it from my archives if you request me to).  A human ovum from a donor would then have its nucleus removed and disposed of with another needle.  The empty ovum could then be injected with the new nucleus from the undifferentiated somatic cell.  The 'ovum' would then be a zygote, technically, because it would be in a diploid state.  Upon the successful creating of this Na'vi ovum, a surrogate mother would have to be found.  The mother would be implanted with the Na'vi ovum, but the entire pregnancy would have to be stopped short before natural delivery could occur.  This is because a Na'vi baby is larger than a normal baby (as a result of the increased height at full maturity).  Once the baby becomes too large to safely remain inside the surrogate mother, a Caesarean section would be performed and the development of the baby would continue outside.  

Transferring the consciousness from the neocortex of the human patient to the fully-developed Na'vi body would be a difficult procedure.  There are two real ways of doing this, one more invasive than the other.  Neurosurgical transplantation of the neocortex only is the first option, but it is exceptionally dangerous.  When brain tissue scars, synapses are fairly ineffective and the brain becomes nonfunctional.  This would make the surgery extremely difficult and risky.  The second method is strange and unsettling to some people (see the next paragraph on ethics).  Digital transference of the consciousness is the second method, with a supercomputer bridging the patient to the Na'vi body.  According to Ray Kurzweil's predictions involving Moore's law, the computational power required for such a venture will occur within the next fifteen years - see the link in parentheses for more information (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/PPTSuperComputersPRINT.jpg).  Dr. Torimitsu is researching and making headway in an interface to read and write information to the brain (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life/health-fitness/health/Reading-writing-info-directly-into-brain-possible/articleshow/5623367.cms).  Once transferred, the human body would wither and die, while the Na'vi body would contain the consciousness of the patient.  

Let's take a look at some ethics now.  First, let us examine ethical difficulties with the development of the Na'vi bodies.  It would be highly unethical and immoral to kill a Na'vi living consciousness and replace it with one's own.  For that reason, the Na'vi zygote would have to be genetically modified to not develop a consciousness.  The genes responsible for developing the neocortex would have to be removed and replaced with genes to create a space filled with cerebrospinal fluid.  Then, the Na'vi body would not develop a consciousness, and it would therefore not be unethical to place a foreign consciousness into it.  

Now, regarding transference of the mind: is the transfer truly a transfer, or is it a copy and the original is deleted?  This is a question that bothers many people when considering the idea of mind uploading/mind transfer.  The only real way to guarantee that it is a transfer is to use the following method.  1) Connect the patient's brain to the supercomputer via the Torimitsu Method.  2) Calibrate the supercomputer to interact with the patient's brain as a memory expansion module.  3) Connect the Na'vi brain to the supercomputer via the Torimitsu Method.  4) Calibrate the supercomputer to use the Na'vi brain as a memory expansion module.  5)  Execute the programming to allow the patient's mind to expand into the supercomputer.  6) Execute the programming to expand the working memory into the supercomputer.  7) Program a digital rule to cut off access to the working memory of the patient's brain at the next interval between thoughts, therefore allowing the working memory to be truly transferred into the supercomputer.  8) Execute programming to copy the remaining contents of the brain into the supercomputer, deleting the originals.  9)  Execute the programming to allow the working memory to expand into the Na'vi brain.  10) Program a digital rule to cut off access to the working memory of the supercomputer from the Na'vi brain at the next interval between thoughts, therefore allowing the working memory to be truly transferred into the Na'vi brain.  11) Copy the remaining contents of the memories in the supercomputer to the Na'vi brain, deleting the originals.  12) Program a digital rule to disallow further communication between the Na'vi brain and the supercomputer upon the beginning of the next interval between thoughts.  13) Remove the connections from the Na'vi brain.  14)  Perform neurological testing to verify success.  

Alright, so does anyone have any questions for me?  I'll bet you all have a huge number of things to ask; I will try to respond in a timely manner.  

Signed,
Alexander Allegrant

PS:  If I originally came off as overly defensive or cruel, I apologize.  I was having a rather awful day.  Anyways, let's start fresh and take a good, solid look at this project.  And if anyone doubts my legitimacy, that is their choice.  I am only here to offer options; I have no intention of swindling you out of your money.  In fact, I don't actually want your money right away.  I won't even ask for collections until I can begin personalized treatment plans.  Essentially speaking, if you have doubts or are unsatisfied with the result, you don't pay.  I hope that I am not conned out of my money by people who get this procedure done without paying afterwards, but I have trust that people are more decent than that.  

Txura Rolyu

Have you any testing to show that the pigment change is possible? Also dont you test on animals first to make sure that you dont really make a mistake by destroying human life?
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

xXJakeSullyXx

@Txura Rolyu:  Not yet.  However, replacing the melanin with other natural dyes found in animals would yield the desired effect, and I do not see why that could not be genetically achieved.  As I have said, this project is only just starting.  It will be many years before we can attempt an actual 'transformation', so to speak.  As for testing on animals, I would never do such a thing.  That would be immoral and barbaric, in my opinion.  No, all testing would be done on willing human volunteers. 

Signed,
Alexander Allegrant

Txura Rolyu

I guess if you are willing to volunteer... but arent their guidelines as to how one should start testing and make sure that it is safe and humane?
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

xXJakeSullyXx

This would fall under the umbrella of clinical trials.  We would have to hire a medical lawyer to ensure all regulations are followed. 

-Alex. A. 

Vawm tsamsiyu

I don't think it would be wise to skip straight to human trials.
they killed the [you] tag

Txura Rolyu

ToktorGrace

Cmon now.. can't we be happy the way we are? Human isn't all that bad. :( I feel like cheating Mother Nature is not the nicest thing to do, given the amount of waste and the process it would take to become a Na'vi-like creature.

It'll be extremely difficult to use pseudo-genetics of fictional creatures to model ourselves into Na'vi when we haven't perfected cloning humans yet. I too am on the road to MD (early yes, but still on that path) and familiar with the methods you're speaking of. They are far from being feasible at this stage in the game, and hopefully will be put to use in other medical fields before body modification.

I would propose finding better environmental solutions and preserving what we still have on this earth would be more in the spirit of Eywa than using self-genetic modification, and probably a better investment of money. Also you are successful, perhaps utilizing such gene therapy treatments to help HIV victims and others with immune disorders might be a good application for such magnificent technology.

Just my two cents... I'd rather stay the way the Great Mother saw fit for me to exist. Best of luck on your endeavors.

EDIT: Also, unless you've already gotten some initial funding/support you may want to up the amount of desired sum total - it's going to cost more than 70K to successfully pull this off.
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Vawm tsamsiyu

Although stem cells might let us have bioluminecent spots. 
But that's more of an advanced tatto that lights up

Toruk Makto

I wonder what the royalties to Lightstorm would be if this were successful?

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Txura Rolyu

I would like to not volunteer for this procedure or help to fund it. I am proud of my body because I was given it by my parents who decended from many people who survived weather, war, genocide, and any number of unrecorded things.

I like this body and I can always change the way my mind decides things that come at me. Thanks for the offer thought and I hope your findings can be used in teh medical fields some day to better humanity.

Kekerusey

Quote from: xXJakeSullyXx on January 30, 2011, 11:44:21 PM@Kekerusey:  I am far from insane.  You are insane for thinking that this is not a reality.

One day? Maybe but I assure you that that day is an awful long way away and I say that as someone who has both a biology degree (sorry but that trumps your physics PhD ... let's be honest physicists haven't proven to be the brightest biologists in history, indeed there seem to be a much higher number of cretinist, oops creationist, physicists than perhaps any other branch of science) and an intense interest in science (I've been one of a large number of people defending it against said cretinists for around 15 years now).

Sorry but, whilst in no way am I saying this kind of thing is forever beyond our grasp, at our present level of technology moment this is NOTHING but fantasy fairy tale hogwash AND I can envisage FAR, FAR, FAR more useful  (and more realistic) modifications to consider than turning into a [expletive deleted] Na'vi. Add that to the fact that you appear to be requesting money and my best bet is that you are likely engaged in some kind of con.

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Se'kar

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on January 31, 2011, 10:21:48 PM
Have you any testing to show that the pigment change is possible? Also dont you test on animals first to make sure that you dont really make a mistake by destroying human life?

Actually, genetically altering skin pigments is possible.  Now, don't get me wrong here, I think this whole entire project is complete hogwash and totally silly, but this one aspect is possible to some degree.  When my dad was in grad school in genetics, he did a lot of research on this specific thing.  It was never submitted for publishing because he bounced around from field to field and never pursued this, but he did successfully change the skin pigments of monkeys.  I've flipped through his research notes and seen the pictures of monkeys with bright firetruck red skin (not ones that normally are red), and various other colors. 

xXJakeSullyXx

@Vawm tsamsiyu:  Alright, for the sake of this answer, let us pretend that testing on animals is not immoral.  It is very immoral, but to get my point across, we will pretend for a minute that it is not.  What good would come from animal testing?  Testing on the consciousness cannot be performed on animals, as there would be no way of communicating with them to establish whether or not the consciousness was still intact.  Testing for complete consciousness transfer would be irrelevant, as the data of a human brain is much larger than that of most animals.  Testing genetic vectors on animals would be useless, as animals have varying chemical receptors that may or may not exist in humans.  Sure, if we wanted to make a Na'vi mouse, then we could test on mice, but we are wanting to make Na'vi people.  That means we have to test on people.  Of course, all test subjects will be fully aware of the risks and have the opportunity to back out at any time. 

@Truro:  Mother Nature probably wants desperately for this to happen.  Surely you realize how much damage humans as a species do to this earth.  The Na'vi would be a change that would hopefully yield improvements in environmentalism; I don't think Mother Nature will mind. 

I realize that humans have not been successfully cloned yet.  Do you know why that is?  Because of all the ridiculous ethical barriers stopping research from happening.  Mention human cloning to a geneticist and the room becomes tense.  Anyways, we are not cloning beings with consciousnesses here, which means it is completely ethical.  Therefore, there is nothing stopping research from going forth.  I know that the methods I speak of are far off from being done right now, but that is why this project is deemed long-term.  This project will probably take a decade, or maybe two.  I also understand that you hope the methods will be used in other medical fields first.  Let me ask you this: why can't they be used in both?  If the money exists, then there is nothing stopping research from happening for both purposes. 

Environmental solutions are a joke, quite honestly.  Humans are burning themselves out, and I do not intend to stand around and watch that happen.  Do you know why there are not electric cars right now?  Not because they are not possible.  Because they would be detrimental to the economy.  Instead, they are rolling out things like the Ford Flex and F-350, environmental disasters waiting to happen.  We need to start over again, because in my opinion, human civilization has reached an unsalvagable point. 

I respect your opinion.  I vehemently disagree with it, but I respect it.  May you find peace in your chosen path. 

I know that.  Here are my financial hypotheses:

Assuming the neurosurgical method is used:

First, a neurosurgeon must be found.  Then, we will offer the neurosurgeon an option.  If he decides to do the surgeries pro bono (for free), then we will pay for his own surgery at the hands of another neurosurgeon for full price.  That takes care of the surgical cost for what I assume will be $500,000. 

Then, the general genome must be synthesized.  Such work would take years and would probably cost $10,000,000, or so.  That takes us to $10,500,000. 

The genome would have to be prepared and chemically activated.  Then, an ovum would have its genetic material removed and replaced with the prepared genome.  The entire preparation, plus the compensation of the surrogate mother, would cost about $50,000.  That would have to be multiplied by the number of people becoming Na'vi. 

Let us model this financial curve mathematically.  Let t represent time, and let C represent cost per person.  Note that I will be using function notation here. 

C(t)=(50000t+10500000)/t

Now, let us assume that t=1000:

C(1000)=(50000000+10500000)/1000
=60500000/1000
=60500

Therefore, if one thousand people join this venture, the cost per person would be about $60,500. 

We can model this as a curve.  Please see this link for a graphical representation:  http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/xXJakeSullyXx/financialcuve.png?t=1296577609

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

@Vawm tsamsiyu:  It is known as an ultraviolet tattoo.  It is currently be tested, because some see a potential risk of it causing malignant melanoma (an aggressive type of skin cancer).  We'll see if that pans out in twenty years. 

@Marki:  I am not sure I understand...

@Txura Rolyu:  Suit yourself.  I respect your opinion.  I hope you find peace in your chosen path, because I know I never could. 

@Kekerusey:  At least ten years, but maybe twenty.  We are closer than you think.  By the way, I do not have a Ph.D in physics, nor do I have any intention of getting one.  I have no idea where you heard that one.  I am on the road to getting a medical doctorate. 

Believe what you want.  I can't stop you from thinking that this is "fairy tale hogwash", but I can say this: we are not that far away.  Live in your tiny bubble of niceties if it makes you feel better, but I for one am going to push this thing forward.  I have lost hope in humanity.  We need to start over. 

@Se'kar:  Thank you.  I would like to see this research, if possible; it sounds fascinating.  And to your statement that this project is "totally silly": suit yourself.  As I have said many times to others, I cannot make you believe in me.  As the saying goes, I can only show you the door.  You are the one who chooses to walk through it.  May you find peace in your humanity.  I know I couldn't. 

Signed,
Alexander Allegrant

Ekirä

Quote from: xXJakeSullyXx on February 01, 2011, 10:41:50 AM@Truro:  Mother Nature probably wants desperately for this to happen.  Surely you realize how much damage humans as a species do to this earth.  The Na'vi would be a change that would hopefully yield improvements in environmentalism; I don't think Mother Nature will mind. 

Wait a second. Are you saying by having Na'vi bodies people will stop being human? It's not just our bodies that make us humans, it's our minds and just being put into a different body is not going to make us "Na'vi". I think what you're not realizing is that our bodies are not the problem. We need to change our minds, and not through a scientific procedure, either.

ToktorGrace

Quote from: xXJakeSullyXx on February 01, 2011, 10:41:50 AM
@Truro:  Mother Nature probably wants desperately for this to happen.  Surely you realize how much damage humans as a species do to this earth.  The Na'vi would be a change that would hopefully yield improvements in environmentalism; I don't think Mother Nature will mind.  

Making a few humans blue, taller and thinner is not going to improve the situation in the slightest. I plead you to seriously think about how this could benefit humanity. You will not be creating real Na'vi - you will be making humans that look like Na'vi.

I realize that humans have not been successfully cloned yet.  Do you know why that is?  Because of all the ridiculous ethical barriers stopping research from happening.  Mention human cloning to a geneticist and the room becomes tense.  Anyways, we are not cloning beings with consciousnesses here, which means it is completely ethical.  Therefore, there is nothing stopping research from going forth.  I know that the methods I speak of are far off from being done right now, but that is why this project is deemed long-term.  This project will probably take a decade, or maybe two.  I also understand that you hope the methods will be used in other medical fields first.  Let me ask you this: why can't they be used in both?  If the money exists, then there is nothing stopping research from happening for both purposes.  

How do you propose you can create creatures without cociousness? Can that be measured in any kind of quantitative way to ensure that creatures don't? Also, any further/ongoing cloning experiments that occur will happen under experimentation on animals - so if you are against such a thing, then it is something you should reconsider.

Environmental solutions are a joke, quite honestly.  Humans are burning themselves out, and I do not intend to stand around and watch that happen.  Do you know why there are not electric cars right now?  Not because they are not possible.  Because they would be detrimental to the economy.  Instead, they are rolling out things like the Ford Flex and F-350, environmental disasters waiting to happen.  We need to start over again, because in my opinion, human civilization has reached an unsalvagable point.  

You say are working with civilization that you call "unsalvagable". My question is this: where will your Na'vi-like creatures live? Pandora is a fictional place (as portrayed by JC). I see no benefits in creating them and then having no place for them to go - instead you will still be competing with the rest of the unsalvagable human race - even if you have some private island in the middle of the Pacific, the influence of the rest of the world cannot be escaped for good.

I just hope that those with desire and talent in these science fields might be utilized to help the multitudes instead of a few who can afford what amounts to genetic plastic surgery. :P $60K a pop will ensure that only a very small percentage of humans will be able to undergo the procedure due to poverty and the like, given that the average annual income in the US is at only about $40K (and that is a high estimate).
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Vawm tsamsiyu

Good luck getting someone to volunteer for a completely  untested medical procedure that won't help treat or cure any diseases, just some über fancy plastic surgery for an elite few.
If this kind of effort was put into trying to cure cancer or stop aging or stoping environmental damage then at least it would be productive

And there are electric cars but they are too expensive for most of us (for now)
Hydrogen burning engines would end the pollution problem from cars if they went mainstream bur that takes time. But eventually we will.   

Eyamsiyu

My personal opinion on all of this is that Cameron originally intended Avatar to have a the message that so many have pointed out.  What I believe he wanted to happen was to fix our problems we already have, not create new ones by trying to imitate his vision of the Na'vi.  We, as humans, are definitely capable of destruction, but we are equally capable, if not better, at being constructive.  It's getting the majority to be constructive rather than destructive that is the trick.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Vawm tsamsiyu

Quote from: Eyamsiyu on February 01, 2011, 11:49:27 AM
My personal opinion on all of this is that Cameron originally intended Avatar to have a the message that so many have pointed out.  What I believe he wanted to happen was to fix our problems we already have, not create new ones by trying to imitate his vision of the Na'vi.  We, as humans, are definitely capable of destruction, but we are equally capable, if not better, at being constructive.  It's getting the majority to be constructive rather than destructive that is the trick.
Oe mllte
And running away from the problem isn't the answer. We need to encourage the good changes happening like hybrid cars or the car plant/factory (I don't remember what) that creates zero landfill waste
And getting cities to plant trees and plants in areas like the sides of freeways and rooftops

xXJakeSullyXx

@Ekira:  No, I am not saying that it stops people from being human.  I am saying that it will hopefully change the mindset of people.  You can hold to your beliefs, and I respect that, but my belief is that a physical change is needed for a true mental change. 

@Truro:  Do you think I am going to let just anyone join the program?  Not a chance.  I am trying to create Na'vi, which means I will only allow people to enter the program if I deem them as psychologically mouldable.  I am not going to just let some war-crazy person become a Na'vi so he can wield a bigger gun and kill more people.  I am only letting people in who want to better this world. 

Genetic alteration.  And the consciousness can be measured scientifically.  It is contained within the neocortex, which is part of the cerebral cortex (the gray matter coating both hemispheres of the cerebrum. 

I know that Pandora is fictional.  An island would be established as a pseudo-Pandora.  Hopefully it would spread. 

$60,000 can be established by a loan if necessary.  The loan would be paid off over ten years.  That would make it fairly manageable. 

@Vawm tsamsiyu:  There are many people who would willingly be tested.  Why?  Because if it worked, they would get a free 'transformation' and become Na'vi. 

Hydrogen cars are never going to come to fruition; don't delude yourself.  The crude oil industry is too large for such a thing to be allowed.  If it was, economic chaos would ensue.  This is the standpoint that most non-environmentalists take (which is much greater than the number of people who actually care about the environment). 

@Eyamsiyu:  You admit, then, that it is difficult to get the majority to be constructive instead of destructive.  I will take that one step further.  It is impossible.  Humans are like a virus, like a parasite.  They consume everything around them and then, when there is nothing left, they move on to another area. 

@Vawm tsamsiyu:  Those are fantastic ideas.  If you can implement them on a grand scale, I will congratulate you.  I think you will fail, as most others do, though.  I like to call cities by what they truly are: concrete forests.  Cities as they are cannot continue and allow the earth to survive.  A new system must be established that is more environmentally sound, and to be practical, that simply won't happen with the current human species. 

I am simply offering an option for people to start again.  To try again.  To perhaps succeed this time, because humans failed miserably, in my opinion.  If you do not wish to take my option, that is your choice.  I hope there are enough people who would like to start again, though, and establish a world that coexists in perfect harmony with nature. 

Signed,
Alexander Allegrant