Main Menu

QUOTES

Started by El Jacko, February 18, 2010, 01:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Jacko

C'mon, chuck us yer favourite quote. Heres a big one to get you started:

Look again at that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. - Carl Sagan
'Look at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us...on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam' - Carl Sagan

Lenewa txe'lan

The Sky People have sent us a message... that they can take whatever they want. That no one can stop them. Well, we will send them a message. You ride out as fast as the wind can carry you. You tell the other clans to come. Tell them Toruk Makto calls to them! You fly now, with me! My brothers! Sisters! And we will show the Sky People... that they can not take whatever they want! And that this... this is our land!

Jake Sully

'Itan Atxur

Humans — who enslave, castrate, experiment on, and fillet other animals — have had an understandable penchant for pretending animals do not feel pain. A sharp distinction between humans and 'animals' is essential if we are to bend them to our will, make them work for us, wear them, eat them — without any disquieting tinges of guilt or regret. It is unseemly of us, who often behave so unfeelingly toward other animals, to contend that only humans can suffer. The behavior of other animals renders such pretensions specious. They are just too much like us. -Carl Segan

We have designed our civilization based on science and technology and at the same time arranged things so that almost no one understands anything at all about science and technology. This is a clear prescription for disaster. -Carl Segan

The Cosmos is all that is or ever was or ever will be. -Carl Segan

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -Carl Segan

If we long for our planet to be important, there is something we can do about it. We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers. -Carl Segan

We embarked on our journey to the stars with a question first framed in the childhood of our species and in each generation asked anew with undiminished wonder: What are the stars? Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars. -Carl Segan

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. -Carl Segan (by FAR my favorite quote)

The choice is with us still, but the civilization now in jeopardy is all humanity. As the ancient myth makers knew, we are children equally of the earth and the sky. In our tenure of this planet we've accumulated dangerous evolutionary baggage — propensities for aggression and ritual, submission to leaders, hostility to outsiders — all of which puts our survival in some doubt. But we've also acquired compassion for others, love for our children and desire to learn from history and experience, and a great soaring passionate intelligence — the clear tools for our continued survival and prosperity. Which aspects of our nature will prevail is uncertain, particularly when our visions and prospects are bound to one small part of the small planet Earth. But up there in the immensity of the Cosmos, an inescapable perspective awaits us. There are not yet any obvious signs of extraterrestrial intelligence and this makes us wonder whether civilizations like ours always rush implacably, headlong, toward self-destruction. National boundaries are not evident when we view the Earth from space. Fanatical ethnic or religious or national chauvinisms are a little difficult to maintain when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars. Travel is broadening. -Carl Segan (probably one of his most important quotes)

We have heard the rationales offered by the nuclear superpowers. We know who speaks for the nations. But who speaks for the human species? Who speaks for Earth? -Carl Segan

Observation: I can't see a thing. Conclusion: Dinosaurs. -Carl Segan

We are a way for the universe to know itself. -Carl Segan

Carl Segan: Yup, pretty much my favorite human being ever to walk the earth. He is sorely missed. :(

Actually, I'm going to modify my sig because of this topic!!

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Eyamsiyu

"Simplicity is not stupidity." Steve Jordan

"Platinum plaques, gold plaques, and all that... It means nothing. You know you've made it when someone makes a skateboard out of you" -Joe Hahn, AKA, "Mr. Hahn"

"Why so Serious?" Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOM! Tough actin' Tinactin!" John Madden

"Rack 'em!" Rack em Willie

"Everyone died at 4:20, man..." Chester Bennington.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Rolyu

Me: whoa, are you alright?
Friend: (choking and coughing) Yeah, I'm fine.  It's just, when I went underwater, I couldn't breath all of a sudden!

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Rolyu on February 23, 2010, 11:32:46 AM
Me: whoa, are you alright?
Friend: (choking and coughing) Yeah, I'm fine.  It's just, when I went underwater, I couldn't breath all of a sudden!

Epic win! ;D

Lenewa txe'lan

"My Mama always said, life was like a box of chocolates.You never know what you're going to get." Forrest Gump

Eyamsiyu

Ok, not usually a fan of these movies, but I saw this once, and thought this was hilarious when they said this:

From "Fired Up."

Nick Brady: I think our bus crashed and we're in heaven.
Shawn Colfax: No, we would've heard "We are crashing, we we are crashing"

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

'Itan Atxur

"This isn't were I parked my car!!" -Euro Trip

Eyamsiyu

Too many good ones to really pick and choose, so I'll just post the link to the memorable quotes page for Airplane!.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/quotes

Txur’Itan

"In the immortal words of Socrates, 'I drank what?'" - Real Genius

"I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum..." - They Live

"F this clown!" - Zombieland

"The world will not end with a bang, but with a whimper..." - Various

"Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill..." - The Matrix

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" - Gone with the Wind
私は太った男だ。

'Itan Atxur

"I'M KING OF THE WORRRRLLLLLDDDD!!" Everybody on this forum better know what that's from.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on February 23, 2010, 03:53:10 PM
"I'M KING OF THE WORRRRLLLLLDDDD!!" Everybody on this forum better know what that's from.

Hmm...

Let me think on that...

Was there ice involved?
私は太った男だ。

'Itan Atxur

Okay, good. You don't lose.

Eyamsiyu

Who said they had to be movie quotes?  What about quotes off of Youtube?

"Platinum plaques, gold plaques, and all that... It means nothing. You know you've made it when someone makes a skateboard out of you" Joe Hahn, AKA, "Mr. Hahn", on the official Linkin Park skateboard

'Itan Atxur

Movies are just easier to quote. I don't think there are any rules for this topic though.

How about this one:

"What the hell kind of name is that? It's like some sort of superhero or something."

"What makes you think I'm not?"

One of my favorite lines ever. And then he blows it 3 seconds later with "You wanna go with me?"

Another excellent quote: "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious sh**"

Eyamsiyu

Ok, now people will understand why I say this is MY quote, because my name is actually Michael Scott:

"That's what she said!" -Michael Scott, The Office.

'Itan Atxur

Lol. Awesome.

If anybody can get this one w/o googling it, I'll be impressed.

"Life's a b****. Now so am I"

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Some of my favs see if you can guess what they are from.

"Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb."

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

"Glue... very powerful stuff."

"I know they were just kids...but man we beat the f*** out of them!"
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

'Itan Atxur

Some of my favs see if you can guess what they are from.

"Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb."
SPACE BALLS!! GREATEST MOVIE EVER!! (besides avatar)
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."
Airplane
"Glue... very powerful stuff."
No clue
"I know they were just kids...but man we beat the f*** out of them!"
Again, no clue.