Remember the old time !

Started by Hufwe ta'em, May 04, 2010, 01:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Hardly, we had some strange modem which didn't make any noise :o

Txantslusam Skxawng

2 weeks ago on school I was talking to my friends like I lived in the 2070 and started talking about how life was in the year 2010.

''In our time, we had an iPhone.''
''Now, everyone of has a iHolo-pad with them.''

We were making things up like that, it is pretty fun!
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Swoka Ikran

Man, that brings back memories from 13 years ago...family got our first PC in 1997 when I was 5 (Pentium II 233 mhz with MMX, 32MB RAM), and sure enough we had dial-up. Sounds exactly as I remembered it. Here I am today, about to turn 18, and I still have that PC in the basement.

And about SirHaxalot's silent modem, many PCs had a setting to mute the modem speaker, typically in the modem driver's config software. If it was an older model, it probably had a jumper on the board. Rarely, there were models that lacked a speaker entirely.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Brainiac

God, I LOVE that sound. reminds me of my first time going online ^^
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Muzer

I haven't yet listened to the video, but mine went:

beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep..... beeeee, boooo, di-DOW, di-DOW, dii, ft chhhhhhhhhhh, kkkkkkk, chhhhhhhh, blip

From setting up a dialup server recently in my house to connect my old computers (which I collect) to, I can see that not all modems/ISPs sounded exactly the same, so I'll listen to this one and see if it's right...

EDIT: Listening to the video, it sounds OK, except I don't remember mine having anything like that bit from 4 seconds to 10 seconds; and I think mine cut the sound out earlier too as I don't quite remember the end bit. You can probably see where all the other bits are from my fantastic description of the sound :P
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Muzer

Lol, did I scare everyone away?

But yeah, just found my cable had broken today, that I was using for dialup - I'll have to resolder it :(

(I had a 9V battery along with a resistor and a cap soldered in to amplify the signal, as my dialup modem doesn't produce as much as the phone line does :P)
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive