Main Menu

Spoiled again

Started by Col Quaritch, April 04, 2010, 02:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Itan Atxur

You mean... like my PC? (Takes about 15-20 secs which is almost the same amount of time as my iPod)

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Niwantaw

my netbook takes like 5mins to properly boot up.
Only mostly AWOL.

Muzer

Ubuntu's boot time isn't half bad now (10 seconds on a low-end computer, probably more like 20 when I install the latest one on my netbook due to the slow SSD - current boot time on the previous version before the fast boot time is 30 seconds) - 5 seconds on my desktop. And if you need fast boot time for something (eg just quickly looking at something on the internet), that's what my phone is for (and presumably an iPod Touch if you have one of those).

And there's always standby, that's got an instant boot time on pretty much any platform, and with modern power-saving techniques uses up next to no energy.

EDIT: If your netbook takes 5 minutes to boot, that's probably because it's running on Windows, which is not a very good idea - netbooks (the earlier ones at least) are good because they are low-end for a laptop but use high-end-ish technology which makes them very small and have a low power consumption. Windows does not like low-end things, due to classic (what I call) Windows bloat - Windows seems to get bigger and more bloated over time for no good reason (in comparison to similar OSes), either due to lazy coding, pointless features, Microsoft intentionally slowing it in an evil scheme to get people to buy more hardware (in collaboration with hardware companies) or a mixture of those. The same applies but probably more dramatically to pieces of software that are required on Windows but merely an optional extra (for the moment anyway) on other platforms - I'm talking the likes of virus scanners.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

'Itan Atxur

Yeah, I keep my PC on hypernate. Shutting it down just doesn't serve much purpose.

Niwantaw

EDIT: If your netbook takes 5 minutes to boot, that's probably because it's running on Windows, which is not a very good idea.

POV on that one........ how many operating systems can run 99.9% of games?(which are much needed for A) the bus trip B)those boring lessons where you have a supply teacher :D)
Only mostly AWOL.

Col Quaritch

Ipad works just like a Itouch or Iphone. Boot time how fast is your finger to slide the unlock? Has ton of features even more if you wait till mid May for the BlackRa1n to come out for it (Jailbreak for Ipad) I can teather it to my Iphone for internet anywhere so I dont pay extrea AT&T net fee's you would with the 3G version of the Ipad. Mine is the 64gig flash drive. I.E. I have every one of my fav movies from my computer on there almost all my wallpapers, all my wedding photos and all of my music I still have about 15gigs left then add that I am app crazy any app that works for the Iphone will transfer right over you do Not I repeat do NOT have to rebuy the app to make it work on the Ipad. Hook to your Itunes sync and all the apps that you have for your phone are now on your pad as well. Comes with a great feature for those in the lower corner is  a little circle of X1 click that it pops the screen from Iphone size to Ipad size. Some apps will rotate as need on the pad some just dont no biggie da I say. Tech its just one step down from having a lap top and one Iphone. Oh new feture added you can now hook your digi camera to it and download videos and photos directaly to the pad while out and about. Now if a sertian someone would answer my pm and get me on the Ipad beta list I could do more learning of Na'vi on it. So far I use the pdf files and surf over to this site alot on it not mention watch Avatar. Which was so funny I have to say was watching that in our seats while waiting for the movie Clash of the Titans to start last night soooo many people leaning over to watch with us hehhe , Col out.

Niwantaw

Only mostly AWOL.

Muzer

Quote from: Tawtute akawng on April 24, 2010, 05:23:48 PM
EDIT: If your netbook takes 5 minutes to boot, that's probably because it's running on Windows, which is not a very good idea.

POV on that one........ how many operating systems can run 99.9% of games?(which are much needed for A) the bus trip B)those boring lessons where you have a supply teacher :D)

And that is why you simply MUST get addicted to minesweeper - I have and I never looked back ;)

(I'm not saying in any way it's the only game possible on Linux, but a) it's included in most distros, and b) It's available and works fine on pretty much every piece of vaguely recent hardware (the circa-1997 Psion 5 I use for typing up school work due to superior battery life, proper keyboard, small size and quick boot time runs it fine, which is how I amuse myself in lessons other than reading Na'vi PDFs on it))

Niwantaw

Quote from: Muzer on April 24, 2010, 05:36:19 PM
Quote from: Tawtute akawng on April 24, 2010, 05:23:48 PM

And that is why you simply MUST get addicted to minesweeper - I have and I never looked back ;)
got addicted
got bored....... started C&C...... started Doom........ Started fallout...... started half life.........started creeper world...... what will come next?
Only mostly AWOL.

Muzer

Just edited my post, didn't realise you had replied.

'Itan Atxur

Dammit! Now I want one even more.

Col Quaritch

Oh I want to add the newest free app for the Ipad the Ibook store is awesome. The interface give the illusion of looking at a bookcase and all your books show there from the covers. I would say about 70-80% of the books of the classics are free of charge. Anything printed in the last say 60 years or so till today will of course have a charge. Works just like a kindle but since my wife has one in some ways I feel its better in other ways worse. I have purchased only 5 so far no big surprise I got a bible for it and the Ipad helps me alot in taking notes at Church and when classes resume there as well. Was able to get the Hobbie and the complete Fellowship for little as $20 I consider that a very good deal for ebook in my collection of some good read and a book I do recomend called Cast of Characters by Max Lucado. As to its size little thiner than your Iphone and about the size of a two dvd's side by side for width or height depending on how you look at that. Weights in about 1 1/2 pound and tuff little bugger dropped it a few times already I wouldnt say go out of your way to bag it around but takes more abuse than a laptop can. Oh and one last thing I forgot to mention battery time, in stand by your good for a little over 300 hours of time. about 4-5 hours of video time, 8-11 hours of pure net time, double that if all your doing mp3's since I tend to listen to music while I surf my avg battery time before needing recharg is about 5-6 hours of time, with the pad slash stand you can get for it you feel little heat from it like how the Iphone heats up to boil and egg at times. Unlike the Iphone your choice of color is limited to silver, silver or silver. Oh and I dont work for Apple in anyway shape or form in fact I open fight against mac an such but this little marvle dose just want I need in my life at this time and its helped me alot. So if you wondering it it right for you I say Yes.