What did you learn today?

Started by 'Oma Tirea, March 10, 2011, 06:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

That Tirea posted exactly 8400 posts. :O
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

阿波

As for making them, unless you plan to learn 2000 words in one day, you don't really need to make all of them at once ;)
As for managing them, yes. Walking around with this number of flashcards in your pocket could be difficult. So I use the Leitner System. This way I only need to handle the cards that are due that day. Also, not going out too much helps :)

Some C++, while writing an app for practicing fingerspelling.

Blue Elf

actually this knowledge comes from yesterday, but still worth of mentioning:
English is just big sequence of mistakes.

On my last English lesson we're reading article about English. Until half of 11th century it was good, all word were read as they were written. But England was attacked by Normans, who brought many French word, what lead to confusions, people didn't know how to pronounce them correctly. So here's beginning of "strange" today's pronunciation. Later, when books were printed, many Netherland printers were employed - and paid according number of printed characters. So they added some extra letters there and here - and that's why English now looks how it looks.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Txantslusam Skxawng

That I just have enough money to buy a ticket to Finland and pay for the hotel.
Now I have 10 euros left on my bank account... But will get funding once everything has been verified and at the end of the month I get my paycheck again. So I'll have enough for Finland when I leave on the 28th of February.
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Vawmataw

Interesting. Do you want to go to Finland?

Txantslusam Skxawng

Yes. It's for my internship. That maybe was some vital info that I left out d:
Plus when it's verified I'll get funding so then money won't be an issue. It's just this month I can't spend any money.
Luckily I have very nice parents who don't mind 'sponsering' me a bit of money for this month.

Edit: Those the lettertype look big? Because I am using my phone right now but the letters look very big...

Vawmataw

QuoteThose the lettertype look big? Because I am using my phone right now but the letters look very big...
No.

QuotePlus when it's verified I'll get funding so then money won't be an issue. It's just this month I can't spend any money.
Luckily I have very nice parents who don't mind 'sponsering' me a bit of money for this month.
Great!

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Vawmataw on January 30, 2015, 04:10:34 PM
QuoteThose the lettertype look big? Because I am using my phone right now but the letters look very big...
No.

QuotePlus when it's verified I'll get funding so then money won't be an issue. It's just this month I can't spend any money.
Great!
Thanks!

阿波

That I can write "腐" from memory, without having studied this character (productively). Today around 5 in the morning I wanted to take a quick note in Chinese, and I needed to use this character, but didn't want to turn on the computer just to look it up and turn it off again, and of course my smartphone had to be dead at the moment. Apparently though, having seen it a number of times was enough to keep the mnemonic alive in my memory (well, at least in a vegetative state).

Tìtstewan

>That one can discover always awesome stuff!< :D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Txantslusam Skxawng

That when you get notified via email you already know what it says xD

阿波

That I can run a 10k :) 1h28 isn't exactly a time to write home about, but I'm happy there's progress.

Wllìm

Quote from: EzyRyder on March 26, 2015, 10:41:36 AM
That I can run a 10k :) 1h28 isn't exactly a time to write home about, but I'm happy there's progress.

That "something to write home about" is an English expression. We have literally the same expression in Dutch, and I didn't know English has it as well :)

By the way, congratulations on your progress! :D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Wllìm on March 26, 2015, 02:58:38 PM
Quote from: EzyRyder on March 26, 2015, 10:41:36 AM

That "something to write home about" is an English expression. We have literally the same expression in Dutch, and I didn't know English has it as well :)

By the way, congratulations on your progress! :D

Today I learned, that in Dutch, there is literally the same expression as "nothing to write home about" ;D

Vawmataw

I learned that Frühling = Spring
Frühling in Paris!

阿波

That I am (currently) a Solipsist (perhaps not only in the philosophical meaning ;)).

archaic

I am not a Solipsist, my reasoning is simple .....

If one assumes that only one's own mind is real, then logically everything else must be some form illusion.
And if everything else is an illusion, then (logically) it must all be conjured into apparent reality by one's own imagination, as it is the only thing that exists.

I'm not that imaginative!
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

阿波

Quote from: archaic on April 03, 2015, 04:24:02 PM
Of course you are. Ever had a dream?
Also, I think solipsism can also mean the belief that only one's own mind can be proven to exist. It doesn't need to mean you don't think anything else is real, but simply that you cannot prove it is.

archaic

Quote from: EzyRyder on April 04, 2015, 01:31:41 AM
Many, but it's a question of scale. A dream might take place over what appears to be a few minutes, reality is perceived to exist the entire time you are conscious, typically fourteen to eighteen hours a day. Every day.

Also, I think solipsism can also mean the belief that only one's own mind can be proven to exist. It doesn't need to mean you don't think anything else is real, but simply that you cannot prove it is.

Quote from: Wikipediasolipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

阿波

Quote from: archaic on April 04, 2015, 04:25:47 AM
Many, but it's a question of scale. A dream might take place over what appears to be a few minutes, reality is perceived to exist the entire time you are conscious, typically fourteen to eighteen hours a day. Every day.
There is such a thing as creative memory (IIRC). Didn't you ever have a dream where you had entire false memories, you realized (most likely) didn't happen only after waking up? By extension, perhaps everything you remember happening during those 14-18h might be a false memory. You can only be sure of the "here and now." Which ironically becomes doubtable past in a mere chronon.

Quote from: Wiktionary(philosophy) The theory that the self is all that exists or that can be proven to exist.
Let's just call it nomenclature, eh? ;)