What did you learn today?

Started by 'Oma Tirea, March 10, 2011, 06:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

阿波

Well, I would say it's not as hard as some people want to make it seem, but I do believe successfully learning any new language is a respectable achievement. I mean, the Latin alphabet, as used in English, obviously takes much less time and effort to learn; but learning it won't magically make you able to read, write, and at times, even pronounce the language (correctly). You'll need to learn the language itself to have any use for the alphabet. I learnt the Cyrillic alphabet within ~24 hours (with a break for sleep ;D), and sure as heck I can't read much Russian (though, because our languages are related to Russian, we'd have an easier time than, say, an English monolingual. Which basically means, no language is inherently difficult, and the subjective difficulty depends on the individual's linguistic background).

Tirea Aean

Quote from: EzyRyder on August 08, 2015, 02:50:22 PM
I learnt the Cyrillic alphabet within ~24 hours (with a break for sleep ;D), and sure as heck I can't read much Russian

I did this too, and my issue with reading Russian is that it takes me more time than reading using this alphabet. I just need more practice with that.

Quoteno language is inherently difficult, and the subjective difficulty depends on the individual's linguistic background).
Totally agree with this.

--

TIL there are still people out there who are aching to listen to Tirea Radio again. O__o  I feel so guilty for not having the stream back up already...

archaic

Quote from: Tstewa Ikrantsyìp on July 21, 2015, 11:26:30 PM
I learned that there is a limit to how much chocolate and liquorice confectionairies you can have
If you have too much, it undergoes complete gravitational collapse and is then difficult to eat.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Rotobull cz

I finally learnt which exact positions of two same substituents bonded on one aromatic ring are ortho-; metha- and para-. :D
Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

阿波

That it's Monday. I seriously thought it was Sunday.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: EzyRyder on August 09, 2015, 05:07:35 PM
That it's Monday. I seriously thought it was Sunday.

Still Sunday here.

You had me worried for a second there. O_o

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

that it's not just me that mixes up the days of the week and it's completely normal. HRH
Mega - Na'vi - Booklet - Project (One Book to Rule Them All)
Unofficial Na'vi survey
Na'vi - Sign - Language - Project

Na'vi - Language - Book - Project

阿波

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

that there is a rare coffee made in Bali and Indonesia that costs $800 a cup.
Unofficial Na'vi survey

阿波

What yellow watermelon and 美濃瓜 (a kind of muskmelon or something) taste like :)

Rotobull cz

That playing Alien Isolation challenges wasn't a good idea... I missed the game atmosphere and the whole playing of the game... So I thought:"Ah, there are some challenges! Something else that I can play from my favourite game (without buying the DLCs immediately)." The alien trash totally got me! (several times) My poor heart... ::)
Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

that the impossible game is actually impossible
Unofficial Na'vi survey

阿波

That I can actually eat vegetables other than potatoes, provided enough seasoning.

I've been a picky eater most of my life, which I've been both ashamed of because of how immature it is, and worried about because of nourishment and general health reasons. But upon ordering a spicy sandwich in the coffeshop my friend works at, I noticed I could eat all the vegetables inside, and not only enjoy the sandwich as a whole, but even kinda find the vegetables inside a tiny bit more than tolerable :D

Also, what 蛋黃酥 tastes like. It's a kind of pastry with a cooked egg yolk and red bean paste inside.

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

the differences between transitive and intransitive verbs.
the uses of ur, ru, t, l & others
Unofficial Na'vi survey

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tstewa Ikrantsyìp on August 21, 2015, 09:05:43 PM
the differences between transitive and intransitive verbs.
the uses of ur, ru, t, l & others

awesome! Now, Oel ngati kameie and ngaru lu fpom srak make even more sense. :)

Vawmataw

To not sing on TS even if there is nobody!
'Cuz IRC.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

that people will try to stop you helping other people.
Unofficial Na'vi survey

阿波

What do you mean, ma Tstewa? It kinda reminds me of the story of the Polish government fining a bakery... for giving their still edible products that they couldn't sell any more, to the poor, without paying the donation-tax... Greed, eh?

That 匙 is pronounced chi2, as opposed to zhi3. When about to finish my 牛肉湯麵 (beef broth with noodles) today, I couldn't find any spoon. So I tried asking 對不起,可以請個湯zhi3嗎?(Excuse me, could I ask for a soup zhi3?) But nobody understood, until I wrote the character down in my notebook. I hope this story will make me remember the pronunciation awhile ;D

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

I also learned, that tricking people in order to get revenge on them, instead of resorting to violence, is obscenely satisfying.
Unofficial Na'vi survey

阿波

What passionfruit tastes like, and its Chinese (百香果), English and Polish (Marakuja) names (in that order).