What did you learn today?

Started by 'Oma Tirea, March 10, 2011, 06:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

To say this in deutsch you have to say either jener or dieser. :'(
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

archaic

Quote from: Tstewa Ikrantsyìp on September 05, 2015, 04:22:34 AM
I learned that:
1. I didn't get the job I applied for  :(
2. that if I don't save my game regularly and I die I lose a lot of progress  :(
3. people are mean enough to dare their friends to come to my lessons and act like they're interested and then leave halfway through AFTER telling me they never wanted to be there in the first place!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
4. that you can't eat with a denture  :( >:( :( >:( :( >:( :( >:(
5. that nobody is hiring around where I live  :( :( :( :(
Well that sucks! 
Have a hug .....
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Vawmataw

I learned that:
2. that if I don't save my game regularly and I die I lose a lot of progress  :(
3. people are mean enough to dare their friends to come to my lessons and act like they're interested and then leave halfway through AFTER telling me they never wanted to be there in the first place!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
1. I never got a job, but I know it can take many tries. I hope you will succeed soon.
2. :/
3. I agree with your angry smileys. It's just evil and selfish. I can understand that it's not common to learn an artificial language, but if they prefer to remain monolingual and not to open their minds to the art of the speech, then they can just stay away.
4. I think it requires some adaptation. However I don't know how long it takes.
5. That's sad. I can just hope a new job will be available soon.
Quote from: archaic on September 07, 2015, 04:42:28 PM
Have a hug .....

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

Quote from: Vawmataw on September 07, 2015, 06:19:54 PM
I learned that:
1. I never got a job, but I know it can take many tries. I hope you will succeed soon.
2. :/
3. I agree with your angry smileys. It's just evil and selfish. I can understand that it's not common to learn an artificial language, but if they prefer to remain monolingual and not to open their minds to the art of the speech, then they can just stay away.
4. I think it requires some adaptation. However I don't know how long it takes.
5. That's sad. I can just hope a new job will be available soon.
Quote from: archaic on September 07, 2015, 04:42:28 PM
Have a hug .....

thank-you for the support ma Vawmataw
Mega - Na'vi - Booklet - Project (One Book to Rule Them All)
Unofficial Na'vi survey
Na'vi - Sign - Language - Project

Na'vi - Language - Book - Project

Eanikran

Today I learned my entire (very thick and heavy) 3 ring full of Na'vi stuff I put together years ago safely made it through moving last fall.  :)

阿波

That the (Silesian, or Polish in general?) word "kapsa" probably comes from Czech :)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eanikran on September 07, 2015, 10:59:46 PM
Today I learned my entire (very thick and heavy) 3 ring full of Na'vi stuff I put together years ago safely made it through moving last fall.  :)

Nice! :D gonna dust it off and have a look at it again?

Eanikran

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 08, 2015, 08:48:22 AM
Quote from: Eanikran on September 07, 2015, 10:59:46 PM

Nice! :D gonna dust it off and have a look at it again?

That's then plan!

阿波

The Mandarin word for Oxford. Usually, they just write place names phonetically, like New York is 紐約 (niu3yue1, literally button-to_schedule), or London is 倫敦 (lun2dun1, literally human_relationship/order/coherence-kind_hearted). But Oxford is a straight up calque: 牛津 (niu2jin1 which sounds nothing like Oxford, but literally means an_ox-a_ford) ;D

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: 阿波 on September 21, 2015, 05:00:09 AM
The Mandarin word for Oxford. Usually, they just write place names phonetically, like New York is 紐約 (niu3yue1, literally button-to_schedule), or London is 倫敦 (lun2dun1, literally human_relationship/order/coherence-kind_hearted). But Oxford is a straight up calque: 牛津 (niu2jin1 which sounds nothing like Oxford, but literally means an_ox-a_ford) ;D
I intend to learn Mandarin in the future, so I find this fascinating. ;D
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Vawmataw

Toliman

阿波

When trying to type "(calendar) date" in Chinese (日期), the first suggestion of the Google IME was 日期, and the second... The actual date! How cool is that?
And finally found the word for "next day/the day after (an event)" (as opposed to "tomorrow"). Not sure why it's so difficult to find at times... Anyway, it's 翌日.

阿波

Sorry for double-posting, but I just learnt how to write a Chinese character-based emoticon: 囧
Also, that there is a syllable jiong in Mandarin. I don't remember seeing any (other) word which actually used it, but apparently it exists (in three tones, nonetheless).

Vawmataw

jigsaw is a word meaning puzzle

Tstewa Ikrantsyìp

that you cannot have good without an equal dose of bad
Mega - Na'vi - Booklet - Project (One Book to Rule Them All)
Unofficial Na'vi survey
Na'vi - Sign - Language - Project

Na'vi - Language - Book - Project

archaic

Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Toliman