Website-Related > Suggestions / Ideas

Allowing ' into usernames

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tirea Aean:
This is a test.

* Tirea 'Aean adds a ' temporarily to username
Okay, so You actually can change your display name to have an apostrophe character. I guess the actual Username cannot have apos.

What you can do to add the ' back in, is to go to https://forum.learnnavi.org/profile/?area=account and then fill out the Name field how you like (with the apostrophe) and then enter your password in the Current password field, then click the Change profile button. :D

Tìtstewan:
I can not remember why exactly SMF makes an difference between username and display name. An apostrophe will cause issues for example sending PMs to someone. The scripts that perform sending a PM would not work if an apostrophe is a part of the username. SMF is hadling that by using usernames, other forum software are using IDs or something else.

Tirea Aean:
I remember that. Oh what a pain in the txìm...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä:
I ran into this problem very early on, and never understood why this is until now. To this day, my username starts with `eylan. That is actually the 'grave accent' character, even though the grave accent mark belongs over the letter it modifies.

archaic:
Do I remember that here was a work around, for sending PM's to members with a ` in their name?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version