Saving/marking topics for later - and saving text/reply

Started by Eana Unil, April 10, 2015, 07:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eana Unil

Kaltxì :)
Got two small suggestions/questions...

We can preview our written messages, we can get notifications for topics we subscribed to (when there's a new reply to that specific thread, I think), but imho it would be awesome if you could mark topics for reading/replying later. I'm often using my tablet and using its keyboard is just plain annoying and often I don't have time to reply right away, so saving a topic for later would be so cool. So when I accidently close that tab with that topic open in my browser or when I found an interesting topic on my tablet I'd like to reply to on my computer, it just gets lost. Duh.
Helping skxawngs like me with a feature like that would be super awesome  :-[ If even possible? Dunno.
(You can mark videos on youtube with "watch later", which I looooove)

Also, finally when I'm replying to a topic, I sometimes may not be able to complete my message and send it. (Auto)Saving it (the draft, Entwurf in German) would make my life so much easier.  :)

Don't know if it's possible to implement those features into the forum software, I just thought that at least suggesting it wouldn't be the worst idea, so, yeah, here you are :D

Tìtstewan

I think, that thing what you are looking for is "mark topic as unread". On the top of a topic one can read: Reply  |  Notify  |  Mark unread  |  Send this topic  |  Print
If you did that, there will be a "new.gif" icon for the as unread marked thread. But, if one click at "Show unread posts since last visit.", the marked topic doesn't appear there. Only if one reply there.
I sooo much miss that function too, especially as mod, because I haven't always time to read a huge new post and I have to remind me on that topic I want to re-read.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

uniltiranyu aean

You can write me in Italian, French, German and of course in English.

Eywa ngahu

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on April 10, 2015, 09:49:25 AM
I think, that thing what you are looking for is "mark topic as unread". On the top of a topic one can read: Reply  |  Notify  |  Mark unread  |  Send this topic  |  Print
If you did that, there will be a icon for the as unread marked thread. But, if one click at "Show unread posts since last visit.", the marked topic doesn't appear there. Only if one reply there.
I sooo much miss that function too, especially as mod, because I haven't always time to read a huge new post and I have to remind me on that topic I want to re-read.
I don't think it is what EA wants. You can mark unread only the whole thread - so it doesn't help if want to reply later to one specific message (it is chance new posts will be created until your next visit).
Really, saving drafts of replies would be great, but I don't think this forum's SW has such feature. It would be great to have it.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tìtstewan

Ma Blue Elf, I know that she isn't really looking for that, but this mentioned way is currently the only way to solve this. :)

Regarding your wish to have drafts, SMF 2.1 (beta) has it by default:
old gallery link?id=6352[/img]

And for SMF 2.0.X, there exist some mods like this one http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2621

But the problem is, we are still on the SMF 1.1.X line...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Eana Unil

Hmm, so maybe it would be time for updating the whole forum? :P

If not, I could live without stuff like that, hrh, but it would be neat, nonetheless.

Tìtstewan

There are indeed plans for updating the forum software. Ihmo, it will be the 2.0.X one. The 2.1 beta is still beta and its final (non-beta) release will be in around 3 years.

Also, the problem with updating is, how to keep all the costom modifications without having a huge trainwreck? I do think, some stuff could be deinstalled but there are some modifications which are important to keep, like that anonymous posting, for example.

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì,

I didn't forget this thread. :) I just searched around and found this draft mod:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1264
I will test with that mod when I have krr. :toruk:

EDIT:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/website-info/saving-drafts/
:toruk: :toruk: :toruk:

Tìtstewan

*Massively late*

I still tought for a way to make possible the idea mentioned in the OP. I am not 100% sure, but marking a topic as unread or for reading later is "in a way" already built in as mentioned in post reply #1 but with a small difference:
Just click at "MARK UNREAD". So, if you want to read the topic later, just click at the link "Show new replies to your posts." on the top of the forum. There should be a list with all topics you have marked as unread. Of course, this will not work if you intend to mark a specific post.