NìNa’vi section in the wiki?

Started by Kame Ayyo’koti, August 25, 2015, 08:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kame Ayyo’koti

Could we have a Na'vi-only section in the wiki? I think a Na'vi-language wiki would provide another source of interesting input for language learners. We could even help learners contribute new material; it would be an interesting homework assignment for them that could give them a sense of accomplishment and contribution.

It could contain information about anything, like Wikipedia, including Pandora and the Na'vi. We could have pages for all the characters; roles in the Na'vi tribes (tsahìk, eyktan, etc.); the Sawtute, RDA, and Earth; and anything else our community members find interesting. I suggest allowing English/mother tongues in the talk section though.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Tìtstewan

This sound like fun. :D (Wiki admin here)
There are some translation projects like Hamlet but adding nì'Na'vi nì'aw section sounds cool.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

So you want to create an encyclopedia in Na'vi?
Personally, I would create my own wiki for that purpose, but I don't want to waste time to build a wiki and templates, so....
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Blue Elf

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on August 25, 2015, 08:38:40 AM
It could contain information about anything, like Wikipedia, including Pandora and the Na'vi. We could have pages for all the characters; roles in the Na'vi tribes (tsahìk, eyktan, etc.); the Sawtute, RDA, and Earth; and anything else our community members find interesting. I suggest allowing English/mother tongues in the talk section though.
All we know is already described in Pandorapedia.com and james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com, but I'm in doubt that current vocabulary allow us to create good translation. Allowing English content here IMHO is not good idea - it could lead to copying data from mentioned sources, what doesn't give sense (not speaking about copyright problems).
AFAIK our wiki is not much used nor maintained, last canon update was nearly 2 years back (!). I'd like to know if there are any active users yet.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tìtstewan

There were recently a lot of edits on the LN Wiki after the upgrade. It's not death and adding a Na´vi nì'aw part doesn´t need to be filled by large or complex textes. I just like the idea to create such a section on the Wiki.

I have not that much time to add the lastest canon information. (I´ll have to get with Tirea about it anyway when I have krr)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

Let's DO IT. :D

The Wiki Definitely needs a ton of editing, on all fronts.

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Blue Elf on August 25, 2015, 01:50:18 PM
All we know is already described in Pandorapedia.com and james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com, but I'm in doubt that current vocabulary allow us to create good translation. Allowing English content here IMHO is not good idea - it could lead to copying data from mentioned sources, what doesn't give sense (not speaking about copyright problems).
AFAIK our wiki is not much used nor maintained, last canon update was nearly 2 years back (!). I'd like to know if there are any active users yet.
The point isn't to have a wiki about Avatar, the point is it will be written in Na'vi. Seeing as most people interested in Na'vi are Avatar fans, a Na'vi wiki would be a potent source of input for them. If people are interested in the subject, they will put more effort into trying to understand it, and this will help them learn the language.

And limited vocabulary hasn't stopped people from trying to translate plenty of other things. Even simple translations are valuable. Furthermore translations can help us think of words to submit to the LEP.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Kame Ayyo’koti

Now that I have a wìki account I can contribute, but first a couple things:

First: Should we have a portal on the index page for the nìNa'vi section (once anything is there)? I won't mess with the index page until I know what you guys want to do.

Second: I'm worried that some topics might end up with two pages, one in English, one in Na'vi. For example, say we have an English page for Neytiri. How should we title the nìNa'vi page? My idea is, if there is a conflict, to add "(nìNa'vi)" to the end of the title to disambiguate it. Wikipedia does this for different items with the same name. (Example) So the titles would be:
English: Neytiri
Na'vi: Neytiri (nìNa'vi)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on August 30, 2015, 09:35:23 PM
Now that I have a wìki account I can contribute

Welcome to the Wiki! :D

Quote, but first a couple things:

First: Should we have a portal on the index page for the nìNa'vi section (once anything is there)? I won't mess with the index page until I know what you guys want to do.

That would make a lot of sense, if this is going to be a section that we want people to be able to find.

QuoteSecond: I'm worried that some topics might end up with two pages, one in English, one in Na'vi. For example, say we have an English page for Neytiri. How should we title the nìNa'vi page? My idea is, if there is a conflict, to add "(nìNa'vi)" to the end of the title to disambiguate it. Wikipedia does this for different items with the same name. (Example) So the titles would be:

This would also make sense.

Wait. So are you leading a project to get the wiki translated into Na'vi, as in a possible:

en.wiki.learnnavi.org/
nav.wiki.learnnavi.org/

or only create certain pages in Na'vi language? What are your plans exactly? :)

Blue Elf

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on August 30, 2015, 09:35:23 PM
Now that I have a wìki account I can contribute, but first a couple things:

Second: I'm worried that some topics might end up with two pages, one in English, one in Na'vi. For example, say we have an English page for Neytiri. How should we title the nìNa'vi page? My idea is, if there is a conflict, to add "(nìNa'vi)" to the end of the title to disambiguate it. Wikipedia does this for different items with the same name. (Example) So the titles would be:

Maybe there could exist only one page with test in both languages - English in left column, Na'vi in right column (some kind of bilingual book). It could be use useful for beginners, what do you think?
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 31, 2015, 04:50:56 AM
Wait. So are you leading a project to get the wiki translated into Na'vi, as in a possible:

en.wiki.learnnavi.org/
nav.wiki.learnnavi.org/

or only create certain pages in Na'vi language? What are your plans exactly? :)
It's simply a wiki written in Na'vi. Think "Wikipedia in Na'vi." The point is: people learn languages by reading information that interests them that's written in that language. The pages can be about anything.

The survey made it clear that a lot of people are interested in the Na'vi, so I figured most people would want to read about Pandora. So if I make pages about the Na'vi, the characters (Neytiri, Mo'at, Eytukan, Silwanin, Jake, Grace, etc.), Kelutral, Eywa, etc. etc. etc., that will give many people something to read that's written in Na'vi. Their interest in these topics will motivate them to figure out what's written.

I haven't thought about what subjects to write besides that, but again, anyone can contribute any topic, like hobbies or other interests. Again, the point is: It's interesting, and it's only written in Na'vi.

It would probably make more sense to create an entirely new wiki for this, but I don't have the resources to host a wiki. I suppose we could look into a free option, unless we want to just include it as a section of the LN wiki (what I'm intending to do atm), I dunno.

Quote from: Blue Elf on August 31, 2015, 05:53:09 AM
Maybe there could exist only one page with test in both languages - English in left column, Na'vi in right column (some kind of bilingual book). It could be use useful for beginners, what do you think?
Perhaps we could have a section of the nìNa'vi wiki dedicated to bilingual texts. But I worry that if an English translation is always available for everything, people will never make the effort to understand what the Na'vi says. Furthermore adding a translation adds even more work.

Tirea Aean

I'm all for just adding Na'vi-language pages on our Wiki about random things :D

I'm also all for editing the English-language content about the lanugage that's already there to be more up to date and/or correct.. :S

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 31, 2015, 11:15:55 PM
Alright, well, I'll just work on some pages and we can figure things out as we go along. :)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on August 31, 2015, 11:46:34 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 31, 2015, 11:15:55 PM
Alright, well, I'll just work on some pages and we can figure things out as we go along. :)

Sounds like some good fun to me! :ikran: 8)