Number Converter down

Started by Tirea Aean, October 05, 2013, 09:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Yes. Zahivol. Without question.

I'm saying now that I would be absolutely and utterly DUMBFOUNDED if the following were not correct:

me+
pxe+
tsì+
mrr+
pu+
ki+

vo+
mevo+
pxevo+
tsìvo+
mrrvo+
puvo+
kivo+

za+

meza+
pxeza+
tsìza+
mrrza+
puza+
kiza+

voza+
mevoza+
pxevoza+
tsìvoza+
mrrvoza+
puvoza+
kivoza+

zaza+
mezaza+
pxezaza+
tsìzaza+
mrrzaza+
puzaza+
kizaza+

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Is there some unwritten rule that kind of decides what sound shapes trigger lenition, and which do not?

And although I think you are spot-on with your analysis, a confirmation from K. Pawl is absolutely in order.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

No, we just know that every single number prefix in the language is lenition-causing.

EDIT: mail sent. Will post here when receive an answer.

Tanri

We already know that root numbers are in lenited form when used as suffix (e.g. vohin, zasìvofu), but this all-leniting-principle does it systematically.
Looking forward for confirmation.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 06, 2014, 06:06:25 AM
Eh? But.. It's obvious.

Would it really make sense to have absolute confirmation of zam -> za+ but yet think that vozam and zazam don't shorten to lenition-causing forms in the same way as zam so that they too will be like every single other number? O__0

OK I guess explicit confirmation won't hurt at all. :-\
IMO confirmation is need, as:
327 oct =  pxezam + mevol + kinä =  pxeza-mevo-hin
1327 oct = vozam + pxezam + mevol + kinä = voza-pxe/peza-mevo-hin

So far, we had only complete table of number 000 - 077, for higher number we've seen just multiples of zam/vozam/zazam without any attached number behind them
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tìtstewan

The "weird" thing is that a prefix lenite another prefix -> Xza-p(x)evol (I think this is possible and I don't see any logical reason why it shouldn't be the case)

Ma BE, your 327° example is obvious as double m is not possible in numbers and one m will drop... otherwise we would have "zammun", which we haven't...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tanri

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 08, 2014, 04:26:25 PM
The "weird" thing is that a prefix lenite another prefix -> Xza-p(x)evol (I think this is possible and I don't see any logical reason why it shouldn't be the case)
There isn't prefix after prefix, the number structure is like this:

higher rank prefix - higher rank root .... lower rank prefix - lower rank root .... suffix

mrrza..k.ivo..pey

The lenited form of suffix is already known*, so the question is simple - does any rank root lenite the following number prefix, or not?
*source
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 08, 2014, 04:26:25 PM

Ma BE, your 327° example is obvious as double m is not possible in numbers and one m will drop... otherwise we would have "zammun", which we haven't...
But it doesn't mean that it disappeared because of trimming m from zam as another rank of number follows. We need official examples of "high" numbers with all ranks.

Tirea Aean

We have known for ages that zero is kew. The number tool has a blank conditional for the case that input is 0. I propose this change to the JavaScript file:

numberthing.js [s.learnnavi.org/js/numberthing.js]

On line 5, column 252, add the following:

$('#n_n').html(e_input_number);
$('#n_base').html(radix);
$('#new_oct_w').html('kew');
$('#n_new_dec').html('0');
$('#n_new_oct').html('0');
$('#n_new_oct_s').html('0');
$('#n_new_oct_ws').html('kew');

Tirea Aean

I have word back from Pawl.

I was wrong.

But he provided a nice explanation as to why, which was nice.

I love being wrong; like a scientist, I find disproved hypotheses probably more exciting than proven ones. Makes everything feel wonderful and less predictable.

Here's the email exchange. [Will post on /language-updates]

Quote from: Tirea Aean to PawlKaltxì ma Pawl,

I just have a quick confirmation question about a number.

Octal number 77777. Is this written out as

kizazamkivozamkizamkivohin

or

kizazahivozahizahivohin

Basically, does it follow logically from your confirmation that zam has lenition-causing short form za+, that vozam has voza+ and zazam has zaza+?

Irayo nìtxan

Tirea/Corey

Quote from: PawlMa Corey,

[..]

In answer to your questions, go with the first option:

Otherwise the multiple lenition is going to make large numbers like this difficult to understand. Since such numbers occur much less frequently than the smaller ones where lenition has applied, it's not improbable that these big numbers would be thought of as being made up of independent units, where lenition doesn't cross the boundaries:

kizazam | kivozam | kizam | kivohin

[..]

P.

I've sent a follow-up for further confirmations. I asked him:

QuoteSo how then do you feel about these numbers:

o70003 Kizazampxey (kizazapey?)
o7001 Kivozam'aw (kivozamaw?)
o704 Kizamtsìng (kizasìng?)
You've already have told us in a comment on Na'viteri about zam (o100):
Zamaw(o101), zamun(o102), zapey(o103), etc.

Or is it that these zazam, vozam, zam words don't cause lenition on /each other specifically/, but do on the ones and eights place numbers?

Tìtstewan

:o :o :o
And what's about that double m like in zammrrvol 1508 - 10410?

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

archaic

With the implication that, under certain circumstances, your multiple lenition option version could be used.

Such as when avatars/drivers are discussing large quantities?
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: archaic on August 12, 2014, 03:41:55 PM
btw, by the logic of: vol [108] - zam [1008] - vozam [1'0008] - zazam [10'0008]
the next possible step would be *vozazam [100'0008]
;D :)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 12, 2014, 03:39:54 PM
:o :o :o
And what's about that double m like in zammrrvol 1508 - 10410?

I think mm still merges to m.

Ok, new Hypothesis:

1) mm always -> m

2) [A]zazam[B]vozam[C]zam[D]vo[E]

Where:

A, B, C, D are the lenition-causing prefix short-forms of numbers mune-vol:
me+,pxe+,tsì+,mrr+,pu+,ki+,vo+

E is either -l, or the lenited suffix short-form of numbers 'aw-kinä:
-aw,-mun,-pey,-sìng,-mrr,-fu,-hin

3) All powers and multiples of powers of 8, higher than 80 cause lenition on the ones place. No other lenition.

So this would happen:

zamaw,zamun,zapey,zasìng,zamrr,zafu,zahin,zavol. (o101 - o110)
zavol,zamevol,zampxevol,zamtsìvol,zamrrvol,zampuvol,zamkivol, mezam. (o110 - o200)

vozamaw,vozamun,vozapey,vozasìng,vozamrr,vozafu,vozahin,vozamvol. (o1001 - o1010)
vozamvol,vozamevol,vozampxevol,vozamtsìvol,vozamrrvol,vozampuvol,vozamkivol,vozamezam. (o1010 - o1200)

Zazamaw,zazamun,zazapey,zazasìng,zazamrr,zazafu,zazahin,zazamvol. (o10001 - o10010)
zazamvol,zazamevol,zazampxevol,zazamtsìvol, zazamrrvol,zazamkivol,zazamzam. (o10010 - o10100)

With the implication that, under certain circumstances, your multiple lenition option version could be used.

My multiple lenition version has just been laid to rest in favour of the leaving the lenition short forms out. To express 101012... This is probably not possible except to multiply known values together.

ten to the twelfth is 1x1012 which in octal is... 16432451210000.
1x813+6x812+4x811+3x810+2x89+4x88+5x87+1x86+2x85+1x84+0x83+0x82+0x81+0x80

A close (not really, but for a race who never uses such numbers) approximation would be 2x813. We only have up to 84 so we would multiply 81 by 84 by 84 by 84.

mevol x zazam x zazam x zazam = 2x813 which is decimal: 1.0995116x1012

EDIT: beware the edits. ;)

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 12, 2014, 04:08:47 PM
Do we really need such big numbers? I love idea I've read somewhere: For Na'vi it is enough to learn numbers 1-16. All other is pxay :)

QuoteIn answer to your questions, go with the first option:

Otherwise the multiple lenition is going to make large numbers like this difficult to understand. Since such numbers occur much less frequently than the smaller ones where lenition has applied, it's not improbable that these big numbers would be thought of as being made up of independent units, where lenition doesn't cross the boundaries:

kizazam | kivozam | kizam | kivohin
I feel more than happy when read this ;D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Blue Elf on August 13, 2014, 10:41:58 AM

Do we really need such big numbers? I love idea I've read somewhere: For Na'vi it is enough to learn numbers 1-16. All other is pxay :)

I think we just need to accept the fact that, for whatever reason, the Naʼvi are more adept with numbers than other hunter-gatherer tribes of similar technology levels. ;)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on August 13, 2014, 01:19:23 PM

I think we just need to accept the fact that, for whatever reason, the Naʼvi are more adept with numbers than other hunter-gatherer tribes of similar technology levels. ;)

Or is it that what we have here is one our attempts to extrapolate the number system to very large values that are hardly ever used, based on logic and such information about how the Na'vi think about units.

Indeed, we never will really use these massive numbers in conversation or daily life, but they're there in case we ever would need them. We have far far larger numbers than this in most Earth languages, even though we hardly ever need to use them outside the fields of science, math, engineering, etc. No one on the streets really has a need to use specific really large numbers. Probably except to talk about money and riches or debt. But even then, it's always in clean powers of ten, never stuff like 31,826,272,328. 30 trillion would be more commonly found than that.

archaic

The tribe has almost tsìzam members, each will eat around tsìvol teylu.
How many teylu do we need to collect today?
Mezazam!
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 12, 2014, 04:08:47 PM
But why do we have MUCH bigger numbers? Numbers which are so big that you would hear them only one time in your life, but we still have such big numbers also as big numbers are build by a specific logic.
*100% speculation*
*zazazam [1'000'0008] (262'14410) *vozazazam [10'000'0008] (2'097'15210) *zazazazam [100'000'0008] (16'777'21610) etc.

As bigger a number will be, as rarer it will be used. How many time you have used e.g. "Decillion" (1033 US / 1060 EU) in your life? (I, never)
You see if you don't use a big number, it does not mean that they don't exist. ;)

Tirea Aean

Ma Tìtstewan, that was exactly my point too :)

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 13, 2014, 01:49:54 PM
[...]Indeed, we never will really use these massive numbers in conversation or daily life, but they're there in case we ever would need them. We have far far larger numbers than this in most Earth languages, even though we hardly ever need to use them outside the fields of science, math, engineering, etc. No one on the streets really has a need to use specific really large numbers. Probably except to talk about money and riches or debt. But even then, it's always in clean powers of ten, never stuff like 31,826,272,328. 30 trillion would be more commonly found than that.