Suggestion for a learning log sub-forum

Started by Ezy Ryder, June 30, 2014, 06:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ezy Ryder

Idea inspired by the HTLAL forums, where there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to people's logs (you can see for yourself: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=4). In a log, the user writes about their experiences, hardships and progress regarding learning of their language(s). They can also receive help and support from other members. It can serve as a journal and source of motivation.
What do you think about this idea? Would it fit this forum?

Tìtstewan

Interesting idea. One could write their experience just in the beginner board (not in the beginner's subboard) about their experience, or in Project NgayNume/Neyriti Project? The difference between this forum and that HTLAL is, they have many difference languages, here only Na'vi...
This is basically a question, how one learn a language. Such question was once in the German section [Wie lernt ihr?]. For that, a megathread would be sufficient to collect experience of the way and tips to learn Na'vi.
Other opinions are welcome! :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

This seems like a legitimately awesome idea. With a board, users may create their own threads, to represent their very own notebooks to tell their own personal story while learning the language. In those threads, pearls of wisdom may shine out so that other people's learning experiences may be smoother because of avoiding such mistakes other people made in their learning process. This may also lead to a better understanding of what our current learning materials are capable of, and what their shortcomings are, and what we should do that we already haven't done/created to make things easier.

Mega-threads tend to be messy.

Maybe we should have a poll. Because I wonder now, who would be willing to commit threads and entries to their threads in the Learning log board? If there is enough interest, I say why not.

If someone were to go into /beginners and create their own learning log, people would come in and answer questions immediately and technically. Almost every thread in /beginners and /intermediate becomes a full-on lesson. What if we create a place that has more of a vibe of a blog?

Kame Ayyo’koti

I've kept a personal learning log for Na'vi in an offline journaling program since I began learning. It's been a great tool for me.

My experience of learning this language hasn't been as straightforward as "do X and Y, and just keep doing Z"; a lot of my effort has gone towards experimenting with activities and exercises that might be enjoyable and useful to me. My log has served as a recording of my progress and milestones (which is very motivating), evidence of what activities have worked for me and what hasn't (and why), and my thoughts on what I could try next based on what I've already done. If learning this language has been like hacking my way through an uncharted jungle, than my learning log is the map I've drawn of it so far.

I would definitely recommend progress-logging to learners, whether here or somewhere else. And I would certainly enjoy having a peek at other people's thoughts, ideas, and methods.

I thought of starting a "progress-log thread," but I have some apprehensions about it, so I've decided not to. But I imagine some people would enjoy it. I thought of sticking it under the "General Projects" section, since a personal log is a sort of "project," but putting them under the "Learn Na'vi" board group would probably make more sense.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Tìtstewan

What about a subboard in the General Projects / Resources as this is more a project (as mentioned) only for such learning-log threads? :-\ I would let the beginner section like it is, because that place should be only for learning vocab, grammar and practise.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 30, 2014, 06:29:07 PM
Mega-threads tend to be messy.
Well, I mentioned that idea, because that would be like the Appeal to everyone who begins to study Na'vi, but more individual, even written by different learners, by their different ways of learning.

I think a poll isn't really necessay, if there are enough smuk who will write a learning-log post.

Additionally, also the smuk, who are longer here, could write the memories about their way of learning Na'vi there, like a "How I learned Na'vi" thread. :) :P

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Tìtstewan on July 05, 2014, 07:34:59 PM
Additionally, also the smuk, who are longer here, could write the memories about their way of learning Na'vi there, like a "How I learned Na'vi" thread. :) :P

I would LOVE that.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on July 06, 2014, 11:40:19 AM
Quote from: Tìtstewan on July 05, 2014, 07:34:59 PM

I would LOVE that.
Yeah, that would be funny to read the way of learning of the smuk, who are longer here. I have a weird way of learning and I have some ideas what I would write. Weird and funny as well. ;D ;D :D