Updates on the Glossary

Started by Na'viyä Tsamsiyu, December 28, 2009, 01:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na'viyä Tsamsiyu

As far as Iv'e seen and heard, Paul Frommer has said there is approx "1000" words to the Na'Vi language, yet our glossary has only 500 maybe.
Now I'm not blaming anyone nor am i dissatisfied at all, in fact, I'm overwhelmed by the knowledge here and all up for finding new thing out, but with reviewing and re-reviewing the pocket guide, and listening to the interviews with Paul, I've noticed that words like Fngap  "metal" (refer to page 1 of pocket guide) and for say Pxaskik "screw that" (as said by Frommer, and in the Video Game) are not in the current dictionary.
All in all, im wondering when an update is set to come out for the glossary, and will it be scheduled (weekly, biweekly, etc...)
Also, as an idea for future refrence, should we have a section like wiki where anyone can edit the glossary and add new things or meanings to existing words (with strong evidence that is)?
Its all to consider...
Irayo,
Raptor
Want to bring Na'Vi to X-Box live? Send a friend request to "SR Raptor 50" with the word Na'Vi attatched to it! I hope to have at least one friend who i can chat with in Na'Vi. Irayo, Ewya Ngahu. -Raptor

Taronyu

I've wondered that, too.

I read elsewhere that people were finding it difficult to change the pocket guide, and I had some free time and wanted to try out a new program, so I made a new dictionary. I am hoping that people would let me know of new words: I am going through all of the documents we have, currently, trying to find more, and I've derived several that weren't in what we had.

I'm hoping that this is a step forward: I realise that I am currently the only editor, but I have a lot of will-power and time to change it. Currently making an English to Navi version, and I hope to make a more detailed grammar than the Pocket Guide.

I don't know when updates are coming out, but from what Frommer has given us, it seems safe to assume that we'll have to do what work we can with what he gives us: he won't be giving us a cohesive dictionary soon, I think.

Tsyeymzi

Surely we can take advantage of the Lean Na'vi Wiki somehow, a freely editable dictionary.

And something tells me when Frommer says 1000 words, he means each individual word, our current glossary's and dictionary's have only the base words (as far as I can tell).
- The Signature is a Lie -