• Welcome to Learn Na'vi Community.

2 questions about genitive

Started by eejmensenikbenhet, December 12, 2010, 08:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemaweyan

Ok, how do you think, we should say Fìkelku lu oeyä or Fìkelku lu oeyä pum? :-\ In my opinion first one is quite clear to understand the meaning and we don't need any other words (like pum).

In other words, is it possible to use words in genitive without any other nouns of pronouns?
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 12, 2010, 04:01:49 PM
Are you sure it is correct:

QuoteNgeyä kelku lu apxa, ki oeyä pum lu hì'i - Your house is big, but mine is small.
Shouldn't we use slä in this case?

yes. ki means "but instead," and is used in structures like:

ke lu poru zekwä atsìng ki amrr
he has not four fingers but instead (has) five.

---

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on December 12, 2010, 04:43:17 PM
Quote from: Kemaweyan on December 12, 2010, 10:50:05 AM
fìtsenge lu awngeyä! - Tsu'tey ;)

But we also have Ngeyä kxetse lu oer! So...  *shrug*

"your tail is mine" is a very rough english translation of that. its meaning is more accurately "Your tail i have."

Quote from: Kemaweyan on December 12, 2010, 06:09:59 PM
Ok, how do you think, we should say Fìkelku lu oeyä or Fìkelku lu oeyä pum? :-\ In my opinion first one is quite clear to understand the meaning and we don't need any other words (like pum).

In other words, is it possible to use words in genitive without any other nouns of pronouns?

I agree, but i think somehow it feels more grammatical to have something there. idk...

Ataeghane

QuoteI agree, but i think somehow it feels more grammatical to have something there. idk...
The same I think. IMHO using pronoun only is quite ok.

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

omängum fra'uti

We only have one example of that though, and it is from movie dialog that was shortenes. I would say that it is colloquially accepted in some situations at best; but right now the best we can do is guess.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Ataeghane

But notice that adding pum does not change anything and may be completely omitable.

Kemaweyan

Not always.. We can't say Ngeyä kelku lu apxa to pum oeyä without pum :)
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Ataeghane

In that case you must use it, just because you can't stick to to oeyä. Some noun is necessary. But tsaw lu ngeyä pum seems to be artificial and unnecessarily long and I think tsaw lu ngey is better.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 19, 2010, 02:06:31 PM
In that case you must use it, just because you can't stick to to oeyä. Some noun is necessary. But tsaw lu ngeyä pum seems to be artificial and unnecessarily long and I think tsaw lu ngey is better.

tsaw lu ngey sounds organic and colloquial.

Ataeghane

omängum fra'uti

Right now we don't know if it is right or wrong... But if it is acceptable, I'd say colloquially only, but not formally.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!