I am about to give up learning, please any help would be appriciated

Started by Kisora, January 03, 2010, 02:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kisora

I have read through the entire 'Learn Navi pocket guide' pdf file and i am having trouble with most part of it, mainly because i don't understand several things...

I don't get what is the meaning of big words like Adjectives, Noun, Morphemes, Grammar, Verb, Genitives, Ergative, Syllabic consonants, Ejective consonants, Diphthongs and many other linguistic terms. Call me an idiot who didn't learn English the 'normal' way, i can't find the applications of these words anyway.

The next thing is sentence making, i don't know how that works at all.

Lastly, is pronouncing the letters/words.

Ok, really, i have just spent an hour searching through the web for some sort of pointer but it has not done me any good, heck i even installed skype to join the group only to find everyone offline. I want to learn this language quite badly, but it is a lot more difficult than i first thought. I am gonna give this my best shot. I request any kind of help available.

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Type in "Learn Na'vi" in Youtube, there's quite a few good videos there. I'm a bit busy atm, but I'll help you later.

unil.

Well, to start off, I suppose googling things like noun, adjective, etc that you don't understand, so that you understand what they are.....

Taronyu

Robert Nantangä Tirea

wikipedia can give you very detailed explinations for terms like Ergative, with examples and diagramed sentences which will help you understand how those parts of speech are used in a sentence. As well, a browsing of the topics in this Beginners Forum will help you find out about the more confusing parts of Na'vi.

In addition, an English teacher could probably help you as well with understanding certain lingustic terminology.

Kìyevame!

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Noun: A thing (may be spiritual, physical or mental)
A cat jumped into the box
Cat and box are the nouns.

My thoughts are scrambled.
Thought are nouns

Personal pronouns:
Words used to describe 1st person, 2nd person, 3rd person, etc

e.g. I, Me, He, She, We, Us

Grammar: The structure of a language. Like how to put the words together and make sense.

Adjectives: Describing words.

e.g.
The Orange cat
Orange is an adjective

The tall man
Tall is an adjective

Ejectives: Sounds that you 'eject' from your mouth. (Watch youtube vids, they'll tell you how it's done ^^)

Dipthongs: No idea of the meaning of the word really... but 'rr' and 'll' are dipthongs (you don't really need to know what 'dipthongs' mean.)

Cases:
For Ergative, Genetives, Datives, etc: Check up this board. http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?board=11.0

Kisora

Thanks for the response, i actually thought it would go unanswered...

wikipedia can give you very detailed explinations for terms like Ergative, with examples and diagramed sentences which will help you understand how those parts of speech are used in a sentence. As well, a browsing of the topics in this Beginners Forum will help you find out about the more confusing parts of Na'vi.

In addition, an English teacher could probably help you as well with understanding certain lingustic terminology.

Kìyevame!
I have read what wikipedia has to say, no very helpful (to me) as i don't understand how they fit in a sentence or how do you apply what not into the word.

QuoteHey. Why don't you try reading The crash course in Linguistics terminology?

That should help.
Thanks, i am gonna do that right now

QuoteType in "Learn Na'vi" in Youtube, there's quite a few good videos there. I'm a bit busy atm, but I'll help you later.
Also YouTubing now. If you could help me, it would be great, thanks.

Tìsyaw Nantangä

Quote from: Tskxäozì Ewaoe on January 03, 2010, 02:42:13 AM
Noun: A thing (may be spiritual, physical or mental)
A cat jumped into the box
Cat and box are the nouns.

My thoughts are scrambled.
My and Thought are nouns

My is an adjective.
Mì saw, kawtul tsun stivawm ngayä ayzawngit.

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Kisora, Unanswered? You kidding? We aren't douchebags XD
And TY, Tísyaw Tsmukan, EDITED.

And Kisora, I've posted pretty much a list of the definition of the stuff you asked about (above ^)

Good Videos:
Na'vi lesson - Tricky /r/ and /rr/
Na'vi Language

You can try this guy's guide as well (but i haven't watched it and not sure if it's good or not):
Learning the Na'vi Language - Prologue
Learning the Na'vi Language - Day 1
Guide to Navi Language Part 2 - Pronounciation and Basic Sentence Structure

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

you never have to worry about a thing going unanswered on here! Everyone is very kind and helpful.

Oooo video links! I've been suggesting we create a section to put these in but they just said it was at our sister site, which I (and my computer) didn't like as much.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Skxawng

Quote from: Tskxäozì Ewaoe on January 03, 2010, 02:51:51 AM
Good Videos:
Na'vi Lesson 1: Vowels and Ejectives

I'm pretty sure that this video is WRONG WRONG WRONG, as far as the Ejective consonants go. This video should NOT be spread around.

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 03, 2010, 02:57:15 AM
you never have to worry about a thing going unanswered on here! Everyone is very kind and helpful.

Srane, Tíng Tsmuke, Srane. No question here is unanswered. After all, we are all tsmuk, no?

Quote from: Skxawng on January 03, 2010, 02:59:53 AM
Quote from: Tskxäozì Ewaoe on January 03, 2010, 02:51:51 AM
Good Videos:
Na'vi Lesson 1: Vowels and Ejectives

I'm pretty sure that this video is WRONG WRONG WRONG, as far as the Ejective consonants go. This video should NOT be spread around.

WHOA! Skxawng, 1337 Mod powers deleted the video! XD

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Kisora on January 03, 2010, 02:29:40 AM
I have read through the entire 'Learn Navi pocket guide' pdf file and i am having trouble with most part of it, mainly because i don't understand several things...

Yes yes yes!! ("Srane!"--means "Yes")

I was where you are a week ago. And I hated it. Please go to this thread and look at what people said there.

http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=794.0

Also please read my post near the bottom of page 1 (just look for my smiling face). It's the long-winded post. but I listed my favorite EASY guides and videos. I can't believe you started with the Pocket Guide. That document--while incredibly informational--should be reserved for punishing criminals! It is mind-torture for someone just walking in off the street and saying "Hey, this looks pretty cool." Definitely go back to it in a few weeks, but for now, please stay with the easy stuff. Get hooked on Na'vi (LOL! I can't believe I said that!) and try the flashcards and vocabulary and some videos and audios. You will find that within a week you are on your way to good grammar!

;D
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

And I'll repeat what I said there as well:

I recommend you learn the Grammar and Pronounciation at the same time with some basic vocab then after mastering the grammar we have here, go on to learning the vocab. Try out skxawng's grammar worksheets, they help you learn and improve the grammar7.

Kisora

Thanks everyone, you really made me start moving again, i should have came here first, it would have saved me so much time...
However, i think i just made the stepping stone, i hope i can make it through all this well..

Kìyevame sì irayo

P.S - Now i know what to do now, but that doesn't make it any easier... unfortunately

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Kisora on January 03, 2010, 06:11:18 AM
Thanks everyone, you really made me start moving again, i should have came here first, it would have saved me so much time...
However, i think i just made the stepping stone, i hope i can make it through all this well..

Kìyevame sì irayo

P.S - Now i know what to do now, but that doesn't make it any easier... unfortunately

Don't quit. Here is the formula for learning Na'vi: Stumble, stumble, crawl, stumble, stumble, roll, crawl, crawl, stagger (or Was it: "Crawl Crawl, Stagger Stagger, Stumble Stumble?")

Just two weeks from now (just 14 days) you will know more than I do, which will be enough to keep your interest strong. Don't get lost in the terminology or details. Fall in love with the words, and use them often. Srane! (yes!)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Srane, just knowing the vocab is huge. My Japanese teacher always encourages us to just use the words, even if we get the grammar wrong. It can get your point of across and it'll still help you learn. Grammar is important, especially with such a young language, but it's not something you should feel bogged down by. Learn the vocab, use it often and soon the grammar will feel moire natural.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Haha, I agree.
Tell you what, Kisora Tsmuk, lurk around the beginner's board and you'll pick up a few things yourself. ^^

txum tukru

i aim at learning all the words first, then ill have a better chance at grammar and pronunciation.
pesu nga?          "who are you?"
Oe lu toktor.       "the Doctor!"
pesu?                "who?"
nì'aw, toktor.       "just, the Doctor!"

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

(personally I'd go grammar and pronounciation first with basic vocab, then move on to increasing vocab)
but, meh, that might work.