I am listening to...

Started by Tìlu, March 01, 2015, 02:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìlu

Oe t<er>ìng mikyun ne ...
I am listening to ...

(wanting to state what song or whatever I'm listening to at the moment) I feel like this is right, but I'm not sure.

阿波

A bit of a hyper-literal translation I think.
I reckon it should be "Oel y<er>une wayt alu" or something.

PS.: Keep in mind <er> doesn't make it present tense.

Wllìm

To say tìng mikyun ne fìway for I listen to this song seems indeed a too literal translation to me. If you want to use tìng mikyun, I'd use the dative to say what you are listening to:

Oe tìng mikyun fìwayur
I listen to this song
(Literally: I give my ear to this song)

You can also use yune as EzyRyder suggested :)

For a complete overview of all verbs like "seeing", "hearing", and so on, see this blog post.

Blue Elf

Yune seems here to be better option, as it is transitive, so you can add what you are listening to. As tìng mikyun is intransitive, I'd would use it more in general sense, where action of listening is more important that information what you are listening (although you can still add it using dative, as was said already).
But both versions are correct.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Vawmataw

I totally agree with Blue Elf.
ne is used to indicate where you're going to (ex.: Oe kä ne kelku [I go to the house (I go home)]).
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Vawmataw on March 01, 2015, 08:13:39 AM
ne is used to indicate where you're going to (ex.: Oe kä ne kelku [I go to the house (I go home)]).

Also ne optionally could be used with slu: http://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/sieyng-a-ftu-naring-6-tute-alo-slu-kan/
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Vawmataw

I forgot about that, but it's right.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìlu

I tried reading through the post you linked ma Wllìm but it's still confusing me. :-[
I guess what Iém having trouble with is all the grammar I guess. I don't think that's ever been my strong point.
So woud Oel y<er>une wayt alu like EzyRyder suggested be more correct?

Wllìm

Quote from: Tìlu on March 02, 2015, 12:29:54 AM
So woud Oel y<er>une wayt alu like EzyRyder suggested be more correct?
Yes, that is correct.

The problem with ne is that it indicates movement:

Oe kä ne kelku
I go to(wards) the house

So you cannot use it when there is no movement:

Oe tìng mikyun ne fìway (wrong!)
I listen to(wards) this song (?)

Instead, you have to use another way to indicate what you're listening to. You basically have two options for that:

• You can use the dative for the thing you're listening to. Remember that tìng nari literally means give your ear. So, you can say

Oe tìng mikyun fìwayur
    I give my ear to this song
    (so I listen to this song)

• Alternatively, you can use yune (listen to) like EzyRyder suggested. This is a transitive verb, so you put the subject of the sentence in the agentive case (-(ì)l) and the thing you're listening to in the patientive case (-(i)t). So then you get

Oel yune fìwayt
    I listen to this song
I think these sentences are both correct; perhaps the second one is more usual, like Blue Elf said.

Does that explain it? :)

Tìlu

Irayo ma Wllìm for explaining that further. Still kind of confuses me though. I'll understand it more eventually. So you could put the name of the song after either of those you just gave?

Plumps

It might be just confusing because they basically mean the same thing but are treated differently grammatically. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it ;)

Quote from: Tìlu on March 02, 2015, 02:41:35 AM
Irayo ma Wllìm for explaining that further. Still kind of confuses me though. I'll understand it more eventually. So you could put the name of the song after either of those you just gave?

Yes, you can ;) after a further alu, i.e. wayt(i) alu XY. For way you can also use tìrol ... my prefered choice if you talk about pop songs for example ;) For me, way refers more to traditional or ceremonial songs.

So you got:

Oe tìng mikyun fìwayur / fìtìrolur alu XY.
Oel yune fìwayt(i) / fìtìrolit alu XY.