Ke in Modal Constructions

Started by Tìtstewan, January 03, 2014, 01:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 03, 2014, 08:20:07 PM
Quote from: Alyara Arati on January 03, 2014, 07:38:07 PM
I don't have the power to split the thread, but maybe this could be continued somewhere besides Beginner Chat. :-\
I've wrote a PM to Taronyu. :)

Pelun kea Marki?

At the end of the day, it might be like the case of using adjectives bound to si construction verbs: Use it where it makes sense. The vast majority of the time though, I think that ke makes the most sense before the modal verb. All but one of the examples given could work either way.

I saw a few posts back that a futa was showing up in the middle of a modal construction. That is not something I have seen before until someone else posted this sentence: oe new futa nga kivä I think this was used as an example somewhere??????

Ma Alyara Arati, thanks for the good guidance on using double negatives. That I can remember!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Alyara Arati

'Upxaret oel fpìme' Toruk Maktoru nìteng.

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 04, 2014, 01:25:36 AM
I don't have the power to split the thread, but maybe this could be continued somewhere besides Beginner Chat. :-\

Pelun kea Marki?

That looks like "Why not any Markìs?" which is not quite what you want, here.
Probably better would be: Pelun ke Markìru?
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Kemaweyan

The vast majority of the time though, I think that ke makes the most sense before the modal verb.

As we know from examples with ke zene / zenke, the meanings are different and we can't replace them with another one.
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Plumps

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 04, 2014, 01:25:36 AMI saw a few posts back that a futa was showing up in the middle of a modal construction. That is not something I have seen before until someone else posted this sentence: oel new futa nga kivä I think this was used as an example somewhere??????

Sran, lamu tìkenong fìtseng. Fkol sar fì'ut krra muwìntxu mipa/lahea tutet tìpängkxomì.

Natkenong,
Po new hivum fohu.
slä
Pol new futa oe hivum fohu.

Fìtìtxula tsunslu hu hemlì'u alu new, nulnew, kansto nì'aw.

Tìtstewan

Pelun kea Marki?
'Awve, poan ke 'eyng frakrr...
Munve, Taronyu lu walaka Olo'eyktan Anawm ulte poan lu Olo'eyktan fìboardä fìtseng.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Taronyu

Blue Elf

Quote from: Plumps on January 03, 2014, 05:24:40 PM
Fpìl oel futa lu txele *style*-ä. Lu tenga ral na: ... oe ke kan nivìn futa ngal ... '... I don't intend to look how you ...'
Slä, kxawm sweylu txo fkol sivar lahea lì'ut alu futa: ... oel kan futa ke nivìn futa ngal ... '... I intend that (I) don't watch how you ...' tengfya lì'ukìng new oel futa nga kivä 'I want you to go'.
:-\ :-\ :-\

Yes, sentence can be changed by moving ke without change of meaning, but maybe is not just question of style, but also stronger emphasis. Maybe it can also lead to negation of both verbs in modal construction ? (as I proposed before):
QuoteA: Can you see it? -> Srake ngal tsat tse'a?
B: Sran. Fko ke tsun tsat ke tsive'a. -> Yes, one can't not see it (it's something very special, that everyone must notice it)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Kemaweyan on January 03, 2014, 09:20:05 PM
No. The meaning is "I must not do it, but I may". So it is not forbidden or impossible that I'll not do that action. But it does not mean that I shouldn't do that...
I think, I got this in Romanian, but no idea how I could translate it in German or in English... This word is one of those words which have no direct translation, such like German "Ohrwurm" or "jein"...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Kemaweyan

And I think it could be possible in Na'vi because there is double negation as in Russian. Ke should work similarly.
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D