More kafi questions

Started by Kyttin13, May 16, 2020, 08:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyttin13

Can you tell I like kafi (coffee)?? Just a little...?! Lol!
Today's kafi question goes like this: using kafi (loan word)= coffee, and tsngal=cup; how would I say cup *of* coffee?? (I'm having difficulty finding an appropriate form of "of"...)

Tirea Aean

Is the "cup of" part specifically significant in the focus of the sentence? In most cases "I'm drinking coffee" is sufficient for saying "I'm having a cup of coffee."
Same goes with "Do you want coffee?" for "Would you like a cup of coffee?" imo

Kyttin13

More like 'here is your cup of coffee'. 'Can you get me a cup of coffee?' etc.

Tirea Aean

Is there a real conversational difference, given context, between that and

'here is your coffee.'
'can you bring me coffee?'

This is what I mean by is the 'cup of' part really even important when it can be easily implied and omitted in many cases? I suppose it's relevant to be explicit perhaps in a cooking recipe ingredients list or something like that :D

Before someone suggests tsngal Kofiyä, does this mean "coffee cup" or "cup of coffee"? There is a difference in English there. I'd say that this would mean coffee cup.

We don't have a great way to say "cup *OF* X", but we can say

"cup that contains X" tsngal a nga' kofit
or
"cup that is full of/from X". tsngal a ta Kofi teya lu

It's easier to just say Kofi imo, unless the amount equaling one cup is of important insignificance :) that's just my opinion tho. Maybe others have some ideas.

Tirea Aean

Also, it would seem Kofi vs. Kafi depends on how you pronounce Coffee in English. I'm more of a Kofi kinda person myself but I understand both of these forms :)

Kyttin13

As usual, Tirea, you are my salvation! Irayo! And thus far, I'd only encountered the loan word "kafi", so you gave me some more to think about there, too. I'm definitely gonna play around with kofi/kafi to see which we (my family) like best!! Again, Irayo!!! :D