Learn Na'vi > Syntax / Grammar

More kafi questions

(1/2) > >>

Kyttin13:
Can you tell I like kafi (coffee)?? Just a little...?! Lol!
Today's kafi question goes like this: using kafi (loan word)= coffee, and tsngal=cup; how would I say cup *of* coffee?? (I'm having difficulty finding an appropriate form of "of"...)

Tirea Aean:
Is the "cup of" part specifically significant in the focus of the sentence? In most cases "I'm drinking coffee" is sufficient for saying "I'm having a cup of coffee."
Same goes with "Do you want coffee?" for "Would you like a cup of coffee?" imo

Kyttin13:
More like 'here is your cup of coffee'. 'Can you get me a cup of coffee?' etc.

Tirea Aean:
Is there a real conversational difference, given context, between that and

'here is your coffee.'
'can you bring me coffee?'

This is what I mean by is the 'cup of' part really even important when it can be easily implied and omitted in many cases? I suppose it's relevant to be explicit perhaps in a cooking recipe ingredients list or something like that :D

Before someone suggests tsngal KofiyƤ, does this mean "coffee cup" or "cup of coffee"? There is a difference in English there. I'd say that this would mean coffee cup.

We don't have a great way to say "cup *OF* X", but we can say

"cup that contains X" tsngal a nga' kofit
or
"cup that is full of/from X". tsngal a ta Kofi teya lu

It's easier to just say Kofi imo, unless the amount equaling one cup is of important insignificance :) that's just my opinion tho. Maybe others have some ideas.

Tirea Aean:
Also, it would seem Kofi vs. Kafi depends on how you pronounce Coffee in English. I'm more of a Kofi kinda person myself but I understand both of these forms :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version