Na'vi tutorial for beginners from a beginner

Started by EyeOfPython, October 20, 2014, 05:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EyeOfPython

Hello fellow community,

I invested some of my free time to make a tutorial for the Na'vi language. I'm still a beginner of it, but I always enjoy teaching, and it also helps me to understand it better.
I focused on the Plural Form and the Pronouns, i.e. real basic matter, and I hope you like it.

However I fear one thing: Did I make serious errors and mistakes? Exspecially in the pronounciation I had my doubts (e.g. e vs. ì), but please don't s*** me, as my motivation to do more tutorials depends on the feedback.

Also don't mind that the recording got a bit messed up, as I spoke very silent from time to time. If the sentences are too messed up, I have to add subtitles (meh..)

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2q88SHUtM, I hope you enjoy it.
If I make errors, don't hesitate to correct me.

Plumps

Kaltxì, ma EyeOfPython,

quite an achievement you posted there! YouTube in connection with Prezzi is really good for demonstrating and sometimes it flows :D

Concerning your pronunciation, I thought it was very good (as you say yourself that you are a beginner).
You are right, though, your ì sound a bit like e.

If you have difficulties to produce the short i at the end of a word, make word boundaries your friend ;) let the ì elide into the next cononant and often you get a result that is close to a sound in your native tongue. For example with + txe'lan, if you elide that to mì_te'lan, you arrive at a word that almost sounds like German ,,mit" (short i, as opposed to ,,Miete") which makes it easier to produce.

One other mistake I noticed is the plural forms of ay+ when colliding with a word beginning with y. I don't know where you found that information but "birds" is ayyayo, "lovers" is ayyawntu, so the two y remain in writing. ;)

Otherwise, very enjoyable and you have a pleasant voice.

Tirea Aean

Nice video!

I think it's quite well done for someone who claims to be a beginner. :D

I think one of the hardest things for native German-speaking people is to pronounce Na'vi letter e correctly as [ɛ] instead of [e]. Na'vi doesn't have the [e] vowel and German apparently must not have the [ɛ] vowel, I guess is the source of this.  It's not a huge issue that prevents understanding, though.

And all the things Plumps said. :)

EyeOfPython

Thank you for your replies :)

"2.4.3.2. Before words starting with y the plural prefix ay+ is unchanged, ayyerik. Wiki (18/4/2010)", Horen leNa'vi
I added the annotations, I don't know either where I got this from.

Quoteyou have a pleasant voice.
You're the first one to say this^^
If I make errors, don't hesitate to correct me.