Various Questions

Started by ghunwI, August 10, 2013, 06:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghunwI

Sentance-as-objects: I want to know how to say: "I know that those skypeople ate a pizza". How do I get "those skypeople ate a pizza" as the complement of "I know that". Also how do the modal verbs work

Causatives: How do I get the causative form of a verb: "These skypeople made those skypeople eat a pizza"

Genitives: "I see the skypeople's pizza". Can you also explain how to treat inalienable possesions.

Thank you in advance

Ezy Ryder

IFRC:

"I know that those skypeople ate a pizza"-"Oel omum futa tsaysawtutel yolom pizzat."
So it's basically close to English's "that."
To modify a verb with a modal verb, You put the <iv> infix to the verb You want to modify (in the first "slot"). For example: "Oe ke new pivey"-"I don't want to wait."
"These skypeople made those skypeople eat a pizza"-"Faysawtutel tsaysawtutet pizzat yeykolom."
Simply put the <eyk> infix into the 0th "slot".
"I see the skypeople's pizza"-"Oel tse'a sawtuteyä pizzat."
You add -ä to nouns ending in a consonant, "o" or "u", or -yä to nouns ending in anything else. (With the exception of nouns ending in =ia, where it becomes -iä, for example soaia, soaiä)
Inalienable possesion was accomplished by putting the owner into the topical case, if I remember correctly.

A good resource for Na'vi grammar is http://files.learnnavi.org/docs/horen-lenavi.pdf . In fact, all of Your questions were already answered there.

Plumps

All correct except for this ;)

Quote from: Ezy Ryder on August 10, 2013, 07:03:36 AM"These skypeople made those skypeople eat a pizza"-"Faysawtutel tsaysawtutet pizzat yeykolom."
Simply put the <eyk> infix into the 0th "slot".

The causee, meaning the one caused to to something it put in the dative.

Faysawtutel tsaysawtuteru pitsat yeykolom.

ghunwI

What are the "slots" of that you are talking about?

Tìtstewan

Just take a look here:
Easy Guide to Na'vi Prefixes, Infixes, and Suffixes II
Threre you can see the "slots" what Plumps mean. ;)
-->
QuoteVerb infix positions:

t<0><1>ar<2>on (two syllable regular)
        <0><1>om<2>um (two syllable starts with vowel)
        srung s<0><1><2>i (si verb)
        yomt<0><1><2>ìng (compound, head last)
        n<0><1><2>ewomum (compound, head first)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Blue Elf

Quote from: Ezy Ryder on August 10, 2013, 07:03:36 AM
You add -ä to nouns ending in a consonant, "o" or "u", or -yä to nouns ending in anything else. (With the exception of nouns ending in =ia, where it becomes -iä, for example soaia, soaiä)
Better said - to create genitive, add -yä when word ends with a, ä, e, i, ì. In all other cases add just -ä.
There are two exception:
- soaia -> soaiä, not soaiayä (valid also for another words ending with -ia)
- Omatikaya -> Omatikayaä, not Omatikayayä
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)